Promising linebacking corps a big key for Iowa’s defense this season

HawkeyeHypnosis

Promising linebacking corps a big key for Iowa’s defense this season - The Washington Post

From article:

“We’ve grown a lot since spring,†Hitchens said. “We’re competing together in workouts. We’re still watching film together. It’s not just us, it’s a bunch of younger kids, too, to bring them along. So as a group, I think we’re getting better.â€

“We’re going to have the most experienced linebackers and (defensive backs out there). You’ve got James Morris leading the way, Christian Kirksey out there,†Alvis said. “We’re going to be stacked. I’m looking forward to the guys I have behind me.â€

While Iowa isn’t exactly “Linebacker U†like Penn State, the Hawkeyes can typically boast of one of the better units in the Big Ten year in and year out.

I think our back 7 will be solid this year. But I don't understand this thinking from the article:

"But there could be plenty of opportunities for Iowa’s linebackers to make plays, because the line in front of the group will be as inexperienced as any in recent memory."

I think just the opposite. A strong D-line keeps the O-line off the LBs so that they can rack up the tackles.

I think our back 7 will be solid this year. But I don't understand this thinking from the article:

"But there could be plenty of opportunities for Iowa’s linebackers to make plays, because the line in front of the group will be as inexperienced as any in recent memory."

I think just the opposite. A strong D-line keeps the O-line off the LBs so that they can rack up the tackles.

of course. having a weak dl, ensures having a weak d.

Re: Promising linebacking corps a big key for Iowa�s defense this season

I think our back 7 will be solid this year. But I don't understand this thinking from the article: "But there could be plenty of opportunities for Iowa�s linebackers to make plays, because the line in front of the group will be as inexperienced as any in recent memory." I think just the opposite. A strong D-line keeps the O-line off the LBs so that they can rack up the tackles.

the article was right. a strong d line also makes tackles. a weak one makes few. the fewer tackles.the d line makes the more the more the back 7 does.

The back seven will have a lot of pressure on them. Iowa really needs a couple players from the d-line to step up this year. If the d-line is just mediocre, the defense should be pretty good.

I like these three-Hitchens, Kirksey and Morris. Saw a tweet from M.King that showed Kirksey w/ OLBer record in the pro-agility...that beat guys like Nielsen and Edds who were athletic OLBers at Iowa.

I hope the apparent backslide for Morris last year was due to injury. We really need to have a big year from the MLB. I still worry that he isn't big enough for the position.

Who are the LB's that give us depth? There are ALWAYS injuries to linebackers.
Is Dakota Getz set to go? Jim Poggi? help...........

the article was right. a strong d line also makes tackles. a weak one makes few. the fewer tackles.the d line makes the more the more the back 7 does.

Not really. With a strong Dline, the LB's make a lot of tackles. With a weak DLine the DB's make a lot of tackles, because the guys that the DL should occupying are blocking LB's.

I hope the apparent backslide for Morris last year was due to injury. We really need to have a big year from the MLB. I still worry that he isn't big enough for the position.

With the way the players and Kirk are talking about him this off season I would expect him to have a good year. Kirk said he might as well be a senior in the way he's approaching the off season workouts. He's also had another year to get bigger.

Who are the LB's that give us depth? There are ALWAYS injuries to linebackers.Is Dakota Getz set to go? Jim Poggi? help...........

IMO we have 2 tiers of linebackers- the starters with Alston pushing to join that group and the second tier of undersized and inexperienced players that include Collins, Getz, Poggi, Perry, Fisher. A third tier would include Taylor and Meier who likely will redshirt.

IMO we have 2 tiers of linebackers- the starters with Alston pushing to join that group and the second tier of undersized and inexperienced players that include Collins, Getz, Poggi, Perry, Fisher. A third tier would include Taylor and Meier who likely will redshirt.

i think Alston would play first at either "inside" position (Hitchens and Morris). I think Perry has surprised and would be first in at the OLB.

Last season, James Morris was not who Norm Parker had led us to believe he was. I am not going to get excited about our LBer's until I see someone read & fill a gap the way Abdul Hodge and Pat Angerer could read and fill. That is my standard for high quality LB play.

And who is the AP writer from Iowa City that wrote this lazy article AND got it published in the Wash Post?

I've also heard Lowdermilk is making good progress.

lowdermilk is a safety.

to whoever said morris is undersized...i believe he is the biggest of the 3 starting lbs so the whole corp is undersized. but as a group they are more athletic than most iowa lb groups.

Not really. With a strong Dline, the LB's make a lot of tackles. With a weak DLine the DB's make a lot of tackles, because the guys that the DL should occupying are blocking LB's.

last time i checked lb+db= back seven

last time i checked lb db= back seven

but out of that back 7 who would you rather have making tackles...lbs or dbs? because a poor dl usually equals dbs getting tackles and a good dl usually equals lbs getting tackles.

Latest posts