Promising linebacking corps a big key for Iowa’s defense this season

Re: Promising linebacking corps a big key for Iowa�s defense this season

the article was right. a strong d line also makes tackles. a weak one makes few. the fewer tackles.the d line makes the more the more the back 7 does.

LB's should lead the team in tackles if the DL does their job at plugging their gaps. When you secondary leads the team in tackles you are in for a long year.

Last season, James Morris was not who Norm Parker had led us to believe he was. I am not going to get excited about our LBer's until I see someone read & fill a gap the way Abdul Hodge and Pat Angerer could read and fill. That is my standard for high quality LB play.

And who is the AP writer from Iowa City that wrote this lazy article AND got it published in the Wash Post?

It looks like they are going to keep Morris in the middle. He struggled at the point of attack last year I am not sure if it was a strength issue or a injury issue, whatever the reason that simply has to get better.

Last season, James Morris was not who Norm Parker had led us to believe he was. I am not going to get excited about our LBer's until I see someone read & fill a gap the way Abdul Hodge and Pat Angerer could read and fill. That is my standard for high quality LB play.

And who is the AP writer from Iowa City that wrote this lazy article AND got it published in the Wash Post?

Agreed. Morris got handled pretty good. I dont care if you lead the team in tackles if youre making stops 8 yards downfield.

Last season, James Morris was not who Norm Parker had led us to believe he was. I am not going to get excited about our LBer's until I see someone read & fill a gap the way Abdul Hodge and Pat Angerer could read and fill. That is my standard for high quality LB play.And who is the AP writer from Iowa City that wrote this lazy article AND got it published in the Wash Post?
Agreed. Morris got handled pretty good. I dont care if you lead the team in tackles if youre making stops 8 yards downfield.

he made plays 8 yds downfield because he had olinemen all over him because the dl didnt take up blocks very well and got single blocked more than they should. morris couldnt play downhill. lbs need dls so they can play downhill...even greenway struggled with a subpar dl.

Morris had a bum ankle all season. Lots of insiders are still high on him. But go ahead and post your "worry" on a message board.

Re:promising linebacking corps a big key for IowaÂ’s defense this season

Posted at nfl combine results.....

AJ Edds ran 4.62 combine, 4.67 pro day
Pat Angerer ran 4.71 combine, 4.63 pro day
Tyler Nielson ran 4.74 combine, 4.64 pro day

No fricken way
He isn't as good a Lber yet but he'll test as fast come combine time. Keep in mind Nielsen was faster than Edds and Angerer, yet wasn't as effective.

Agree with this, Morris will put up very good combine numbers. He was a true sophomore playing behind a subpar dline last season. He will be fine.

Re: Promising linebacking corps a big key for IowaÂ’s defense this season

Posted at nfl combine results.....

AJ Edds ran 4.62 combine, 4.67 pro day
Pat Angerer ran 4.71 combine, 4.63 pro day
Tyler Nielson ran 4.74 combine, 4.64 pro day

AJ Edds did not run a 4.62 at the combine.....correction he did indeed run a 4.62 Combine at least on an initial search. Very unusual to run faster at Indy than u do at home...I had thought I remembered him running a 4.72

Here is a link to a Gazette article about Nielsen.....he ran a best of 4.57 and he did run a 4.74 Combine and a 4.63 Pro day...

Iowa’s Tyler Nielsen’s resiliency key to NFL draft hopes | TheGazette

Last edited:
Nielsen is a guy who couldn't stay healthy and his performance suffered.

Yes...he had some real flashes, and "if" he can stay healthy I think he'll end up a very solid Pro. On a corollary note he could have really helped that 2010 D perform at a higher level. And although it hurt us then and a little last year, well be better now because of it….

Just for arguements sake.....here is a link to James' forty. This is a pretty good site. and draft thoughts.

James Morris*|*Iowa,*ILB*:*2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Agree on the site being decent. Shows some 40 times for Morris but for argument sake nothing is official until he does a combine and pro-day. Will be fun to see how he measures out.

Here's some others of interest..
Chad Greenway 4.76 combine, 4.60 pro day
Abdul Hodge 4.76 combine, 4.67 pro day
Jeff Tarpinian 4.56 pro day
Jeremiah Hunter 4.77 combine, 4.67 pro day
Mike Humpal 4.82 combine, 4.68 pro day

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to Morris. This is a new season and the slate is wiped clean but I need to see a lot more from this season than in past seasons. I realize he had injuries, was inexperienced, etc. but I thought he really struggled inside big time and most notibaly in the area of 'finding the football'. It looked to me that he did a lot of guessing (running up the wrong gap) and the opposing RB would wait for him to commit and then cut inside or outside of him for nice gains.

Again, new season and I am hopeful he will really perform well but I have some doubts that need to be expelled.

Agree on the site being decent. Shows some 40 times for Morris but for argument sake nothing is official until he does a combine and pro-day. Will be fun to see how he measures out.

Here's some others of interest..
Chad Greenway 4.76 combine, 4.60 pro day
Abdul Hodge 4.76 combine, 4.67 pro day
Jeff Tarpinian 4.56 pro day
Jeremiah Hunter 4.77 combine, 4.67 pro day
Mike Humpal 4.82 combine, 4.68 pro day

Yes I've used it often....Iowa has had some very speedy athletic Lbers. More so than I think even most Iowa fans realize.

Just for arguements sake.....here is a link to James' forty. This is a pretty good site. and draft thoughts. James Morris*|*Iowa,*ILB*:*2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
Agree on the site being decent. Shows some 40 times for Morris but for argument sake nothing is official until he does a combine and pro-day. Will be fun to see how he measures out.Here's some others of interest..Chad Greenway 4.76 combine, 4.60 pro dayAbdul Hodge 4.76 combine, 4.67 pro dayJeff Tarpinian 4.56 pro dayJeremiah Hunter 4.77 combine, 4.67 pro dayMike Humpal 4.82 combine, 4.68 pro day

this is part of what got tarp in the league. and tarp was the reason edds was let go by the pats. morris has great speed and athleticism. if the dl can keep him clean and he can stay healthy (what hurt tarp as some say the best lb to never play at iowa) then he will impress all the people that dislike him. remember they moved nielsen to the inside and morris to his spot last yr because morris was still one of their top 3. if alston was better hed play. morris is good and had a bad line in front last yr remember how good he looked as a frosh.