Promising linebacking corps a big key for Iowa’s defense this season

I am concerned about their size and hopefully they have added some muscle and weight. We are undersized with Morris at 235 being the biggest. I would rather see them closer to 250 but that is just me.

Re: Promising linebacking corps a big key for Iowa�s defense this season

I am concerned about their size and hopefully they have added some muscle and weight. We are undersized with Morris at 235 being the biggest. I would rather see them closer to 250 but that is just me.

most lbs in college are smaller because they need to be faster with the spread offenses. morris is actually only a little undersized weight wise (if at all) as i think most lbs are in his weight range. then they bulk up in the pros. plus pro lbs are different in that they have 3-4 defenses where the olb is really just a defensive end and so they seem bigger though they arent as much a lb as they are de. kirksey and hitchens are undersized.

I hope the apparent backslide for Morris last year was due to injury. We really need to have a big year from the MLB. I still worry that he isn't big enough for the position.

it was. in an interview or two, morris said he was hampered by a sprained ankle all season and wasn't able to move how he wanted all the time. if you saw the bowl game last year, he was everywhere making plays... until he hobbled off.

the article was right. a strong d line also makes tackles. a weak one makes few. the fewer tackles.the d line makes the more the more the back 7 does.

Bend but please, pretty please, don't break defense in other words?

it was. in an interview or two, morris said he was hampered by a sprained ankle all season and wasn't able to move how he wanted all the time. if you saw the bowl game last year, he was everywhere making plays... until he hobbled off.

I sat behind the bench at some games and Morris never sat last yr when he came off the field for the games I attended (later in yr). He was always flexing his foot/ankle and clearly looked uncomfortable for the games I was at--I would say at least 1/2 the season? I would have preferred he rested but I'm sure he told the coaches he was fine.

the article was right. a strong d line also makes tackles. a weak one makes few. the fewer tackles.the d line makes the more the more the back 7 does.

Well, I would narrow it down more because if the D-line doesn't hold-up, our safeties will be leading the team in tackles.

I sat behind the bench at some games and Morris never sat last yr when he came off the field for the games I attended (later in yr). He was always flexing his foot/ankle and clearly looked uncomfortable for the games I was at--I would say at least 1/2 the season? I would have preferred he rested but I'm sure he told the coaches he was fine.

That is a good deduction. He seems like the type of kid who would downplay an injury to be on the field, and would always assure the coaches he was fine. But, once he is full go, this kid is everywhere, and fleet-footed like a deer.

I just want a D-line that holds their own and gets pressure as often as they can..

If the dline is not big and strong enuf to take the blow, get under the pads, and shuck the blocker as a unit on a consistent basis then they are going to have to do a lot of stunting, going skinny to try and get penetration to disrupt plays.

Some of Hayden's defenses and Kirks first 5 years the dee seemed to get more penetration.