Projecting Playing Time for Deep Hawkeye Hoops Squad

Maybe Nunge redshirts. Not out of the question. He probably wouldn't be willing to do so, however.

Look, we have five players for the four and five positions and only four spots in the rotation. Maybe three if Fran shortens things up which some have called for. And the five players don't include Baer who can at least play the four in a pinch. Someone among Nunge/Pemsl/Kreiner crowd should redshirt or they will face the possibility of little playing time. If Weiscamp plays as advertised you could make a case for redshirting Dailey, too. If one of aforementioned (except Nunge) redshirts that gives us more balance senior classes in 2020 and 2021. Otherwise, were going to have a huge incoming freshman class in the fall of 2020 and be right back in the same boat of trying to allocate minutes.

Note: In reality I don't see where any of the above four come even remotely close to redshirting. It's just not in their DNA anymore unless it's for medical reasons. Thank God Brad Lohaus was had the foresight to do it before his junior year. It allowed him to be part of something special like the 1987 team and also saved his career. He played in the NBA for a decade. Had he not redshirted he could have been lost in the shuffle on Raveling's last team and had a stellar three year career with the LaCrosse Catbirds of the old CBA.
It’s pretty simple. Cut Pemsl and Kriener from the rotation. We already have two legit post players in Cook and Garza. Pem and Kriener appear to be nice kids who can play at this level but they just don’t bring anything to the table that Cook and Garza don’t already do better. Nunge and Baer offer more footspeed, outside shooting, and ball handling.

Look at the NCAA tourney last year. Most teams were playing one post and four guard types, there just isn’t a place for RK and Pemsl.

It’s pretty simple. Cut Pemsl and Kriener from the rotation. We already have two legit post players in Cook and Garza. Pem and Kriener appear to be nice kids who can play at this level but they just don’t bring anything to the table that Cook and Garza don’t already do better. Nunge and Baer offer more footspeed, outside shooting, and ball handling.

Look at the NCAA tourney last year. Most teams were playing one post and four guard types, there just isn’t a place for RK and Pemsl.
If one in four out is the trend (it's one of them), and it's true that most of our bigs don't have the quickness to guard smaller players (they don't), then we are in deep Doo Doo for at least two more years until we can get all the bigs through graduation. What was our man thinking when he stocked our roster with more bigs than a team could possibly need and then recruited two more.

In any case Fran is doubling down on his support for this bunch of players.. I'd like to see us at least return to the style ball that swept MSU and Purdue in January of 2016 and got us to #4 in the nation but our overall athleticism has tanked since even then. Is it three or four schollies he has available for the 2019 class. We MUST get more athletic. We currently give up athleticism by the bushel basket.

EDIT: It's not just our bigs. Our guards have trouble both closing out on a wing and keeping people in front of them. We will never see Garza's full potential until he no longer has to hack penetrating guards who get by ours at will. May never see Cook's full potential either. He has his hands full with guards getting into the lane as well.

Last edited:
I've said this before, but don't be surprised if we see a lot of this lineup:

1. McCaffery
2. Bohannon
3. Wieskamp
4. Cook
5. Garza

McCaffery will back up Bohannon. He's not starting at the 1 or 2. I know you hate Fran (and I've really soured on Fran as well), but you're seriously overestimating Connor's role on the team, and his impact on recruiting.

Completely agree. Pemsl and Kriener shouldn't see the floor outside of blowouts. Unfortunately Fran has already shown plenty of evidence that he will play everyone even when it's at the expense of results.

Maybe Nunge redshirts. Not out of the question. He probably wouldn't be willing to do so, however.

Look, we have five players for the four and five positions and only four spots in the rotation. Maybe three if Fran shortens things up which some have called for. And the five players don't include Baer who can at least play the four in a pinch. Someone among Nunge/Pemsl/Kreiner crowd should redshirt or they will face the possibility of little playing time. If Weiscamp plays as advertised you could make a case for redshirting Dailey, too. If one of aforementioned (except Nunge) redshirts that gives us more balance senior classes in 2020 and 2021. Otherwise, were going to have a huge incoming freshman class in the fall of 2020 and be right back in the same boat of trying to allocate minutes.

Note: In reality I don't see where any of the above four come even remotely close to redshirting. It's just not in their DNA anymore unless it's for medical reasons. Thank God Brad Lohaus was had the foresight to do it before his junior year. It allowed him to be part of something special like the 1987 team and also saved his career. He played in the NBA for a decade. Had he not redshirted he could have been lost in the shuffle on Raveling's last team and had a stellar three year career with the LaCrosse Catbirds of the old CBA.

Nunge is head and shoulders above Pemsl and Kriener. He showed promise on defense and he can shoot. He's also faster than those two. I don't see how Nunge gets grouped in with those two.

Nunge is head and shoulders above Pemsl and Kriener. He showed promise on defense and he can shoot. He's also faster than those two. I don't see how Nunge gets grouped in with those two.
That just makes a redshirt that much more logical. Fran can't pull Cordell or Ryan aside and ask them to redshirt in exchange for a promise of more playing time later. There's a good chance they could come back and still be lost in the shuffle or passed up by 2019 or 2020 recruits. Jack on the other hand could really benefit as a fourth year junior and fifth year senior the way Uthoff or Ethan Happ did. Instead he will waste a year competing with too many other bigs for too few minutes. If he redshirted we could clear Cook, Pemsl and Kreiner off the roster and Nunge would have two full years to go. But, alas, nobody thinks that way anymore.

If one in four out is the trend (it's one of them), and it's true that most of our bigs don't have the quickness to guard smaller players (they don't), then we are in deep Doo Doo for at least two more years until we can get all the bigs through graduation. What was our man thinking when he stocked our roster with more bigs than a team could possibly need and then recruited two more.

In any case Fran is doubling down on his support for this bunch of players.. I'd like to see us at least return to the style ball that swept MSU and Purdue in January of 2016 and got us to #4 in the nation but our overall athleticism has tanked since even then. Is it three or four schollies he has available for the 2019 class. We MUST get more athletic. We currently give up athleticism by the bushel basket.

EDIT: It's not just our bigs. Our guards have trouble both closing out on a wing and keeping people in front of them. We will never see Garza's full potential until he no longer has to hack penetrating guards who get by ours at will. May never see Cook's full potential either. He has his hands full with guards getting into the lane as well.
I think with Weiskamp coming in we can change the issue of slow footed bigs. I would give Cook and Garza all the 5 minutes, and give Nunge and Baer the majority of the 4 minutes. That is a quite a change from what we saw last year.

4- Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10 (still some minutes at the 3 for Baer)
5- Garza 22 / Cook 18

That just makes a redshirt that much more logical. Fran can't pull Cordell or Ryan aside and ask them to redshirt in exchange for a promise of more playing time later. There's a good chance they could come back and still be lost in the shuffle or passed up by 2019 or 2020 recruits. Jack on the other hand could really benefit as a fourth year junior and fifth year senior the way Uthoff or Ethan Happ did. Instead he will waste a year competing with too many other bigs for too few minutes. If he redshirted we could clear Cook, Pemsl and Kreiner off the roster and Nunge would have two full years to go. But, alas, nobody thinks that way anymore.
Fran has pretty much worn out all of his goodwill in the mind of most fans. Why would he redshirt a guy who is clearly a better option than Kriener and Pemsl to play for the future? If he doesn’t have the stones to bench those guys for the good of the team, then he can go down with the sinking ship in my mind.

I agree that Nunge is likely going to have a good season and play ahead of Kriener. He just has to get stronger...which is a point of emphasis for the team from what I understand. But there could be playing time for Kriener the following year with Cook gone. He's the more realistic option. But it's not a given that he will beat out Nunge.

Fran has pretty much worn out all of his goodwill in the mind of most fans. Why would he redshirt a guy who is clearly a better option than Kriener and Pemsl to play for the future? If he doesn’t have the stones to bench those guys for the good of the team, then he can go down with the sinking ship in my mind.
Like I explained in my post, that's exactly why you redshirt Nunge. But that way of thinking went out with nut-huggers and isn't happening. I understand the love for Nunge-he has terrific potential. But many on these boards were singing the praises of Pemsl during his freshman year, comparing him to Greg Brunner (oops) and raving about his toughness and ability to agitate opponents. What happened, and this is what I'm getting to as far as proceeding with caution on Nunge and Garza this year, is Cordell's moves were scouted and he didn't adjust. He tried most the same moves, got frustrated, lost confidence, and the downward spiral began. Nunge and Garza are sophomores and the league has a scout on them now. And there's a strong history of the sophomore jinx in Fran's tenure at Iowa. May, Basabe, Sapp and Pemsl were clear cut victims. Ogelsby and Ellingson were less clear cut because they struggled much of their careers, but those are also fringe examples.

One more comment on your post. The idea of Cook playing the five sounds good on paper but it ain't happening. Not if he has any aspirations of an NBA shot. He needs to both expand his shooting range and guard farther than ten feet from the basket. Plus, we already have a fairly adequate five who, once again, has to avoid the sophomore slump. But the idea of Cook at 6'9" playing the three or four in a Houston or Golden State type system-its worth shooting for with the understanding that his work will be cut out for him.

Like I explained in my post, that's exactly why you redshirt Nunge. But that way of thinking went out with nut-huggers and isn't happening. I understand the love for Nunge-he has terrific potential. But many on these boards were singing the praises of Pemsl during his freshman year, comparing him to Greg Brunner (oops) and raving about his toughness and ability to agitate opponents. What happened, and this is what I'm getting to as far as proceeding with caution on Nunge and Garza this year, is Cordell's moves were scouted and he didn't adjust. He tried most the same moves, got frustrated, lost confidence, and the downward spiral began. Nunge and Garza are sophomores and the league has a scout on them now. And there's a strong history of the sophomore jinx in Fran's tenure at Iowa. May, Basabe, Sapp and Pemsl were clear cut victims. Ogelsby and Ellingson were less clear cut because they struggled much of their careers, but those are also fringe examples.

One more comment on your post. The idea of Cook playing the five sounds good on paper but it ain't happening. Not if he has any aspirations of an NBA shot. He needs to both expand his shooting range and guard farther than ten feet from the basket. Plus, we already have a fairly adequate five who, once again, has to avoid the sophomore slump. But the idea of Cook at 6'9" playing the three or four in a Houston or Golden State type system-its worth shooting for with the understanding that his work will be cut out for him.

Lol that may have been me that compared Pemsl to Brunner. The way he muscled his way in and his touch around the rim (something rare out of Iowa bigs) made me think it was a good comparison. Clearly my bad.

Lol that may have been me that compared Pemsl to Brunner. The way he muscled his way in and his touch around the rim (something rare out of Iowa bigs) made me think it was a good comparison. Clearly my bad.
Fifty somethings may remember Michael Payne. That's a good Cordell Pemsl comparison. Unfortunately many of Payne's finest hours were his freshman year when he actually started ahead of Greg Stokes and Payne's returns steadily diminished over the course of his career. When Stokes did crack the starting five his career took off and then Gerry Wright transferred to Iowa and further clouded up Payne's role. Lute and George went with twin towers lineups from time to time but all that seemed to do is expose Payne's weaknesses.

Actually I disagree, Cook’s spot in the NBA would be at the 5 as a “small ball” center. For reference Jordan Bell is a 6’9/225 small ball center for the Warriors. Cook is 6’9/260. Draymond plays the 5 some at times as well. The rockets played 6’6 PJ Tucker at the 5. Heck Tristian Thompson is listed at 6’9/240.

At Iowa there is nothing that says Cook can’t shoot outside shots while playing the 5 or rotate onto smaller players. Garza’s maximum minute level to me would be in that 20-25 minute range anyways with how he plays.

You’re right his work is cut out at him to make the NBA whether at the 4 or 5, but that’s because he just hasn’t proven to be able to defend.

Completely agree. Pemsl and Kriener shouldn't see the floor outside of blowouts. Unfortunately Fran has already shown plenty of evidence that he will play everyone even when it's at the expense of results.

i disagree. Pemsl avg 16 and Kriener 10 mins a game last season. Combined they barely avg playing a half.

I agree Pemsl's minutes need to be cut unless and until he proves he can hit the medium range jumper. If he can do that, then Pemsl could be an effective and surprise at the 3. but there's no evidence that will happen. we shall see. In fact, I'm surprised Pemsl didn't transfer.

Kriener I have more hope for. Kriener is identical in style to Garza and is a natural backup at the 5 to Garza. Let's not forget that Kriener has flashed some good offensive potential. As a backup 5, I wouldn't mind seeing him get 15 minutes.

Actually I disagree, Cook’s spot in the NBA would be at the 5 as a “small ball” center. For reference Jordan Bell is a 6’9/225 small ball center for the Warriors. Cook is 6’9/260. Draymond plays the 5 some at times as well. The rockets played 6’6 PJ Tucker at the 5. Heck Tristian Thompson is listed at 6’9/240.

At Iowa there is nothing that says Cook can’t shoot outside shots while playing the 5 or rotate onto smaller players. Garza’s maximum minute level to me would be in that 20-25 minute range anyways with how he plays.

You’re right his work is cut out at him to make the NBA whether at the 4 or 5, but that’s because he just hasn’t proven to be able to defend.
I think we had this conversation earlier this spring. If Cook were to play the five at the next level it would have to be in a Golden State/Houston type system. I think we agreed he would have to be drafted into right system. He certainly could not be exposed against a back to the basket type that has four inches on him, even acknowledging that few still exist. Those guys would foul him out of the league and all the way to Belgium. Obviously he has to prove he has the chops to stick in the league in the first place and he faces huge odds in that regard.

I think we had this conversation earlier this spring. If Cook were to play the five at the next level it would have to be in a Golden State/Houston type system. I think we agreed he would have to be drafted into right system. He certainly could not be exposed against a back to the basket type that has four inches on him, even acknowledging that few still exist. Those guys would foul him out of the league and all the way to Belgium. Obviously he has to prove he has the chops to stick in the league in the first place and he faces huge odds in that regard.
Fair points. I recall that and it was a quality discussion. It’s anyone’s guess what the NBA guys told Tyler during his recent evaluation period about his position. One thing I would add is in the NBA you are allowed to arm bar and get away with a lot more physicality in the post, which is one of the reasons post play is dying, that might help Tyler play post D.

4ac691d8545a7a5607579565f91d2cc2.jpg

You can make fun of it, but Kreiner does look like he has put on some muscle from last year. He doesn't look like he will be pushed around next year. He is a talented guy. I'm not sure how long the yellow tennis shoes will last working on a farm.

Last edited:
i disagree. Pemsl avg 16 and Kriener 10 mins a game last season. Combined they barely avg playing a half.

I agree Pemsl's minutes need to be cut unless and until he proves he can hit the medium range jumper. If he can do that, then Pemsl could be an effective and surprise at the 3. but there's no evidence that will happen. we shall see. In fact, I'm surprised Pemsl didn't transfer.

Kriener I have more hope for. Kriener is identical in style to Garza and is a natural backup at the 5 to Garza. Let's not forget that Kriener has flashed some good offensive potential. As a backup 5, I wouldn't mind seeing him get 15 minutes.

Pem had a shot in HS. Both Pem and Special K gave the same issue. They move like molasses.