Projecting Playing Time for Deep Hawkeye Hoops Squad

tenor.gif

I would do this:

1. Redshirt Pemsl. If he doesn't want to, then show him the door.
2. Redshirt Fredricks.
3. Never start Baer.
4. Never play Nunge at the 3
5. Never play Connor and JBo together....ever.

That leaves the following:

JBo 27/CMac 13
Moss 25/Dailey 15
Weiskamp 23/Baer 17
Cook 28/Nunge 12
Garza 28/Kreiner 12

I would do this:

2. Redshirt Fredricks.
3. Never start Baer.

JBo 27/CMac 13
Moss 25/Dailey 15
Weiskamp 23/Baer 17
Cook 28/Nunge 12
Garza 28/Kreiner 12

Looks about perfect to me. Hopefully Nunge improved enough to take more minutes from Baer, Garza, or Kreiner.

My reference was for "jump shots"...teams are learning he has talent close to the basket...lay off outside four feet...

Pemsl (& iowa) had a down year last season. 2016 is proof that the talent is there.

Layup counts as much as a jump shot.

I would do this:

2. Redshirt Fredricks.
3. Never start Baer.

JBo 27/CMac 13
Moss 25/Dailey 15
Weiskamp 23/Baer 17
Cook 28/Nunge 12
Garza 28/Kreiner 12

My only issue is with #5 . JBO is your best shooter and your best free throw shooter. He has to be in the game late. Late in close games I would bet Connor is the point and JBo is the 2. If this is your rationale you better hope Moss takes the next step.

Pemsl often seems disinterested to me...
I think even the staff is confused at what his role should be. He played at 250 his freshman year and while he seemed stronger and able to seal defenders with his lower body there was concern that the weight would cause nagging issues with all the leg and knee issues he's had. So he has the hernia surgery, doesn't play in the overseas trip, and slims down to 230-235. But he didn't look any quicker and he definitely didn't look stronger. Defenders were coming right over him or around him and stripping the ball or goading him into cheap fouls. His situation screams "redshirt" but whether he is willing is another question. If Kreiner stays healthy and ahead of him in the rotation then Cordell's the odd man out. The addition of Weiscamp and continued maturation of Dailey should mean the last of Nunge at the three and Pemsl certainly can't play it.

My only issue is with #5 . JBO is your best shooter and your best free throw shooter. He has to be in the game late. Late in close games I would bet Connor is the point and JBo is the 2. If this is your rationale you better hope Moss takes the next step.

My rationale is that, if defense is our biggest issue (which it is), having those two as your backcourt defenders at the same time is an absolute recipe for disaster...

To me...Pemsl has been a disappointment...

He needs to get it figured out...along with many others...and the coaching staff...

I also question number 5. Don't know enough about Fredricks yet.

With Tyler Cook returning, Coach Fran McCaffery is tasked with finding minutes for large group of capable players:

LINK
Really not that hard. Throw your five best players offensively and defensively on the floor, have 6 and 7 ready to come off the bench at any minute. That’s it. The rest get mop-up minutes, if any.

Ain’t a democracy. It’s a team that competes. The way the best teams at every level divvy up PT.

I want to be excited about Iowa basketball again. I really do. This group of players on paper isn’t getting me there.

This looks like just about every other Fran McCaffrey-coached team. They’ll be lucky to challenge for middle of the B1G, much less a spot in the tournament.

I truly want to be wrong about that.

Agree with Tweeter - I think he needs to identify 8 guys who will get 80-90% of the playing time. Shuffling guys in all the time is detrimental to continuity and ultimately the success (wins) for the team. Some feathers will get ruffled but that’s the way it goes. The fact that many of the players are at the same level actually supports reducing the rotation - continuity on the floor over equality of playing time by guys at the same skill level.

Agree with Tweeter - I think he needs to identify 8 guys who will get 80-90% of the playing time. Shuffling guys in all the time is detrimental to continuity and ultimately the success (wins) for the team. Some feathers will get ruffled but that’s the way it goes. The fact that many of the players are at the same level actually supports reducing the rotation - continuity on the floor over equality of playing time by guys at the same skill level.
I started a thread last week for this very reason. Fran needs to identify our best 8, and stick with those guys. To me our top 8 will be:

Cook
Garza
Weiskamp
JBo
Nunge
Moss
Dailey
Baer

In some order. Cmac would be the 9th guy just at spell minutes at PG. Basically an 8/9 man rotation would be ideal, but withy Fran that probably is unlikely.

Several players have to make strides in various areas for us to improve. The first 7 guys I suspect will give us the best chance to win by improving the team where needed most...collectively play about 170 minutes a game. Baer, Nunge and Kriener will fight for the other 30 minutes. Personally I would love to see Nunge or Kriener entrenched with Baer and see the other RS with Fredrick. I don't what to do with Pemsl.

Bohannon
Cook
Garza
Moss
Wieskamp
Dailey
McCaffery

Baer/Nunge/Kriener

Pemsl
Fredrick

Several players have to make strides in various areas for us to improve. The first 7 guys I suspect will give us the best chance to win by improving the team where needed most...collectively play about 170 minutes a game. Baer, Nunge and Kriener will fight for the other 30 minutes. Personally I would love to see Nunge or Kriener entrenched with Baer and see the other RS with Fredrick. I don't what to do with Pemsl.

Bohannon
Cook
Garza
Moss
Wieskamp
Dailey
McCaffery

Baer/Nunge/Kriener

Pemsl
Fredrick
I’m pretty close to you, I just don’t think Connor has proved anything yet. I was never high on the kid out of high school but hoping he will prove me wrong.

For me I’m much higher on Nunge than most others around here it seems. I have him as our 5th best player next year but would not be surprised at all if he’s more like our 3rd best. I think he’s likely our best defender if Fran plays him at the proper spot. Now he won’t start because our two best players are also bigs. He was 4th in player efficiency ratio last year and near the top in most defensive categories.

I do think he’s a cut above Kriener. He’s two inches taller with better feet and the better outside shot. Kriener has better post moves, but when you have Cook and Garza that becomes much less important to our team.

Maybe Nunge redshirts. Not out of the question. He probably wouldn't be willing to do so, however.

Look, we have five players for the four and five positions and only four spots in the rotation. Maybe three if Fran shortens things up which some have called for. And the five players don't include Baer who can at least play the four in a pinch. Someone among Nunge/Pemsl/Kreiner crowd should redshirt or they will face the possibility of little playing time. If Weiscamp plays as advertised you could make a case for redshirting Dailey, too. If one of aforementioned (except Nunge) redshirts that gives us more balance senior classes in 2020 and 2021. Otherwise, were going to have a huge incoming freshman class in the fall of 2020 and be right back in the same boat of trying to allocate minutes.

Note: In reality I don't see where any of the above four come even remotely close to redshirting. It's just not in their DNA anymore unless it's for medical reasons. Thank God Brad Lohaus was had the foresight to do it before his junior year. It allowed him to be part of something special like the 1987 team and also saved his career. He played in the NBA for a decade. Had he not redshirted he could have been lost in the shuffle on Raveling's last team and had a stellar three year career with the LaCrosse Catbirds of the old CBA.

Last edited: