Projecting Playing Time for Deep Hawkeye Hoops Squad

RobHowe

Administrator
With Tyler Cook returning, Coach Fran McCaffery is tasked with finding minutes for large group of capable players:

LINK

Yes. Really.

Do you think Iowa is deep in players that should be playing in the Big? Or does he use a lot of players that are on the team? Might player ability and so many getting minutes equate to a 4 win season last year? Can't he just give participation trophies in lieu of playing time?

How many on the roster are legit Big players that should be in a rotation?

With Tyler Cook returning, Coach Fran McCaffery is tasked with finding minutes for large group of capable players:

LINK
Good write-up Rob. When I read those Fran quotes it makes me somewhat nervous and I’m still not convinced that he is committed to changing his ways.

I think you’re pretty close on minutes, although if it were up to me Kriener and Pemsl wouldn’t get any. They have shown some abilities at this level but they just aren’t better than Garza, Cook, Nunge, and Baer who are in front of them and have the ability to make up a very strong frontcourt.

I know what Fran said but one other change I would make is to put Dailey in the starting 5 over Moss, and here’s why. We have plenty of scoring options with our first unit, put Dailey out there and tell him to check the opponents best guy. Then you bring Moss in with Nunge and Baer who are more defensive guys and tell him to go out there and play aggressive hunting his shot on offense.

Roughly:

JBo 30 / Cmac 10

Dailey 15 / Moss 25 (ride hotter hand)

Weiskamp 25 / Baer 10 / Dailey 5

Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10

Garza 22 / Cook 18

Pemsl & Kriener can be used when foul trouble occurs. If Fran goes the other way and keeps playing Nunge at the 3 in order to get Pemsl and Kriener time, I’d expect another rough season.

Good write-up Rob. When I read those Fran quotes it makes me somewhat nervous and I’m still not convinced that he is committed to changing his ways.

“We had a young team. We had some goofy injuries. What we have to do is recommit to each other,” McCaffery said.

^^ Summary of Iowa Basketball's mentality under Fran McCaffery ^^ #Excuseville #BodyOfWork

They are deep in the sense a lot of average players are vying for playing time. There isn't a huge drop off of talent in the next man they put in. They need some players to separate themselves from the pack and make it a noticeable drop off in talent when the next man comes in. I was hoping Moss took that step last year for instance and he didn't.

“We had a young team. We had some goofy injuries. What we have to do is recommit to each other,” McCaffery said.

^^ Summary of Iowa Basketball's mentality under Fran McCaffery ^^ #Excuseville #BodyOfWork
Some of the quotes I have read from him recently have been concerning. When he was asked what they were going to do differently he goes “well we are going to look at everything.... yada yada yada,” but to me it just sounded like window dressing. It didn’t sound like he had any ideas on what to change really, which would align with what I saw on the floor last year because he didn’t change anything as we continued to be beaten like a drum on a consistent basis. At a certain point it may be tough to teach an old dog new tricks so my guess is he reverts back to the way he’s always coached.

I'd be interested in seeing how/if getting Conner time at point helps JBo. I could see a lineup of Moss, Conner, JBo, Cook, Garza working.

Would love to see JBO with a little less than the 30 Howe has projected maybe 26-27ish I think would keep him fresher and more productive. He got worn down I thought late in games throughout the year. With CM and even Dailey I would hope being able to sit him a little more should be easily doable. I could even see Cook playing a little less allowing Nunge a few more mins. (assuming he deserves them I could see Pemsl getting those too)

I'd be interested in seeing how/if getting Conner time at point helps JBo. I could see a lineup of Moss, Conner, JBo, Cook, Garza working.
I've said this before, but don't be surprised if we see a lot of this lineup:

1. McCaffery
2. Bohannon
3. Wieskamp
4. Cook
5. Garza
Imo that lineup does nothing for us. Assuming Dailey and Moss are better defenders than Cmac, which I believe they are, that lineup makes us better on offense? Maybe, I’m not sold on that yet either... but offense isn’t our concern. That lineup would get destroyed on defense I would think.

Imo that lineup does nothing for us. Assuming Dailey and Moss are better defenders than Cmac, which I believe they are, that lineup makes us better on offense? Maybe, I’m not sold on that yet either... but offense isn’t our concern. That lineup would get destroyed on defense I would think.
It was more of a prediction than anything else.

I'd like to see Kriener get more minutes if he can continue to show what he did in the Big Ten Tournament. He had a weird year last year because of injuries. If Kriener can make some additional strides and play better defense, I'd much prefer his skill set over Pemsl.

If I would see Pemsl make two consecutive jump shots on any level I would play him...if not, I wouldn't.

Kreiner is a hustle guy...I would play him...

In addition...play anyone who seems interested in playing defense...

In addition...play anyone who seems interested in playing defense...

tenor.gif