Projected 2012 starters

and as i said nobody on this staff has stated which position they are going to play
only the forum posters have stated this as a fact they are going to put massive amount of weight
as for Clayborne he was listed as a DE coming out of HS only another poster on here connected him to the LB spot but i guess that is ok since it wasn't me that said it.
Clayborne at 249 lbs only needed to gain 26 lbs to get up to 275
Vencus needs to gain 50 lbs to reach that weight
Ott needs 40
lets 25 or adding 40-50 lbs ummmm which is simpler to figure out
Venckus 4.7 40 4.3 shuttle
Ott 4.8 40 no shuttle time
and as most say give him to Doyle and his speed and weight will turn them into studs
Venckus gets his 40 time down to 4.6 pretty good size and speed for a WSLB even with no increase in speed 4.7 is pretty good for a WSLB
Ott probably stays at DE

I am with Foval and Hawkfarmer on this- the 3-4 is a bad idea for the personnel that Iowa has currently and is currently bringing in. Is it possible? Only if Aiken is brought in to be the DC as he has experience with the hybrid 3-4 front with Arizona. If either Parker or Wilson is promoted than this is a lot of wasted speculation and the same for Bradley (who would be the homerun hire and keep everyone happy in house as well).

Nothing about Ferentz's coaching style lends credence to switching to the 3-4. Iowa hasn't been blitz happy ever- this season was likely the most called blitzes since Parker was the DC. I don't think the coaches are looking at next season as a throw away either, which is what it would become in switching to an entirely new base defense. The most effective 3-4 involves overloads and pressure from multiple spots. That puts players out of position compared to Iowa's current scheme and that alone should end the speculation.

Finally this was one of the least talented defenses we have fielded since the early years. But look at how Iowa buckled down late in the year- Only two Big Ten schools scored 30+ and only four teams scored 30+ all season. Add into that that Iowa held ISU to 24 in regulation. The scheme of the defense isn't broken. It could use some adjusting, but given the talent gap in the bowl game and that the defense gave up a late TD for Oklahoma to reach 31 points (8.5 points below their season average and third lowest score for their season) there is no reason to consider switching to the 3-4.

Anybody see the versatility of Hightower for Alabama tonight? That's what a larger more athletic LB will bring. He will be a threat at the next level.

i think we all need to amend our rb in 2012. i am going to say canzeri and garmon share #1. with johnson #2. hope we have enough rbs to put bullock back at wr. he didnt impress me at rb and he must have impressed the coaches early at wr since he jumped past guys that came in as wrs last year before all the injuries and such happened.

Latest posts