Projected 2012 starters

the defense is a major work in progress, spring practice should help sort it out

Hyde SR CB
Miller JR FS
Law SO SS
Lowery JR CB
Kirksey JR OLB
Alston SO MLB
Morris OLB
those would be solid picks
the D-Line gets dicey so at this point it is a pick em

Alvis 6'4 255 lb JR DE
Gaglione 6'4 255 lb SR DE
Bigach 6'3 285 lb SR DT
Davis 6'5 310 lb SO DT

I went with experience and expecting Alvis to be ready to go and as for Davis big body with some playing experience
but who knows what will happen in spring drills
LTP, Hardy, Cooper and all of the others will get a serious look
not going to think about incoming FR

I wouldn't be surprised to see Morris lose his starting spot. I just think Alston/Hitchens/Kirksey is a better group? Are we stacked enough at LB coupled with our inexperience at DL to see some 3-4 alignments with our new DC?

i believe the D lined up in the 3-4 a few times against Oklahoma
and i doubt Morris loses his job
he had ankle problems for most of the 2nd half of the season
and i think Derby will have a say about the MLB spot
and has been stated the LB'r position is loaded
Kirksey, Hitchens, DiBona, Getz, Morris, Poggi, Alston, Derby and 6-7 freshmen who either were redshirted the year before or redshirted this year
so with this info the loss of not getting Lambert or any other lb'r is not that big a deal

Let's not forget about Walsh as a potential starter at OG

The OL battle should be interesting to watch...quite a few challengers for a few starting spots, with Ferentz the only given:

Boffeli
Tobin (likely starter)
Blythe (Marc Morehouse thinks he will be tough to keep out of the lineup)
Walsh (highly regarded recruit)
Scherff (Solid Fresh. season)
Van Sloten (Played in bowl)
MacMillan (Highly regarded recruit-played well last yr)
Donnal (another very strong recruit-back-up to Reiff)

Those 8 guys are the most likely to battle for 4 open spots...maybe 3, if you write in Tobin.

i believe the D lined up in the 3-4 a few times against Oklahomaand i doubt Morris loses his jobhe had ankle problems for most of the 2nd half of the seasonand i think Derby will have a say about the MLB spotand has been stated the LB'r position is loadedKirksey, Hitchens, DiBona, Getz, Morris, Poggi, Alston, Derby and 6-7 freshmen who either were redshirted the year before or redshirted this yearso with this info the loss of not getting Lambert or any other lb'r is not that big a deal

before the 3-4 thing is brought up again many people need to study what the 3-4 is and what ours is. we usually only rush 3 and we dont have a single player on our roster capable of playing the 3-4 olb. lambert would have been a guy that could. it would takes multiple recruiting classes to get there and it would take a major shift in dl coaching and understanding.

if you take the players out of the equation the coaching strategies are completely different from what they are now. a 2 gap dl system. bigger lbs are needed that are coached on styles of blitzes and coverage.

we use a simple cover 2 4-3 with a lot of dl games because it is easy to teach and forces players to keep their responsibility. that is why we have so many future pros the pro coaches dont have to teach tthem about discipline.

if Derby stays at LB @ 6'4 235-245 he would gives the size to play the 3-4
but oh no the fans want to put 50-60 lbs on him and make a DT out of him
incoming Vencus and Ott @ 6'4 235-245 would also make for the big Lb'rs that we need
LTP 6'3 270lbs and Hardy 6'5 270 lbs would be ideal at DE and they don't need the extra weight packed on

incoming Vencus and Ott @ 6'4 235-245 would also make for the big Lb'rs that we need
LTP 6'3 270lbs and Hardy 6'5 270 lbs would be ideal at DE and they don't need the extra weight packed on

Why do you keep thinking that Venckus and Ott are Lbs. They are recruited as DE. Iowa is trying to get the big/tall DE, and that includes McMinn. They are not recruited at LB, and since when has Iowa ever had a 6'7" LBer. not since I can remember. I think you need to accept that they're not in the LB corp and move on, and quit mentioning them everytime we talk about the LBs.

why can't i talk about them as LB'rs most on here wanted Derby at LB'r when was recruited asa QB
not the want him as a DE or DT
just bevause they were DE in HS school there is no reason they can't become OLB in college
and you and I have no clue as to where they will end up at
Edds was recruited as a TE and ended up at LB
most want bigger LB'rs they fit the bill without putting 40-50 or 60 lbs on to be a big DE
as for McMinn i never once said anything about him being a LB
to me he will be a DE or DT

why can't i talk about them as LB'rs most on here wanted Derby at LB'r when was recruited asa QB
not the want him as a DE or DT
just bevause they were DE in HS school there is no reason they can't become OLB in college
and you and I have no clue as to where they will end up at
Edds was recruited as a TE and ended up at LB
most want bigger LB'rs they fit the bill without putting 40-50 or 60 lbs on to be a big DE
as for McMinn i never once said anything about him being a LB
to me he will be a DE or DT

My point is this: Ott is 6'5" and 230, McMinn was 6'7" 220 when he enrolled at Iowa.

Do you know Edds was recruited as a TE and not an athlete? I don't, he probably was.

The consensus on these guys is that they are recruited as DL. Rarely do DL recruits turn into LBs, it's usually the other way around.

As for Derby, everyone who saw him said he wasn't going to be a D1 QB, he was going to be a LBer. You are the only one who said Venckus and Ott were going to be LBers.

My big thing is until they get to Iowa and change positions they are DL. Talk about them that way, not as potential Linebackers.

Last edited:

Where do you come up with this stuff!? :confused: And I just love how much stock you put into the player's weights, like that's the main factor. Like I said earlier, herbyhawk nailing it!

I honestly have not seen one single poster mention him for DT. Where are you coming up with this ****? I'd like to see some actual posts from people on here to back up your claim.

Last edited:
OTT IS 6'4 not 6'5 and why should i have to go thru 2 years of posts to prove anything
i guess i can try and go back 6-7 years on the recruiting commit list to show Edds was a TE
so you are also telling me that during the course of fall practices and game the somehow put on 20-30 lbs so Iowa does not need to put on 40-50 lbs to get them up to 265-275 to play on the line
listed weights and heights
Vencus 6'4 225 lbs
Ott 6'4 235 lbs
face it
Vencus needs 10-15 lbs to be a solid WSB vs 50-60 lbs to move to the line in college
Ott needs abot 5-10 lbs to be solid SAM or LEO vs 40-50 lbs to move to the line in college
why is it so are to understand that
in HS the bigger kids are put in place that they won't play the position in college because it is where it best helps the team win

OTT IS 6'4 not 6'5 and why should i have to go thru 2 years of posts to prove anything
i guess i can try and go back 6-7 years on the recruiting commit list to show Edds was a TE
so you are also telling me that during the course of fall practices and game the somehow put on 20-30 lbs so Iowa does not need to put on 40-50 lbs to get them up to 265-275 to play on the line
Vencus 6'4 225 lbs
Ott 6'4 235 lbs
face it
Vencus needs 10-15 lbs to be a solid WSB vs 50-60 lbs to move to the line in college
Ott needs abot 5-10 lbs to be solid SAM or LEO vs 40-50 lbs to move to the line in college
in HS the bigger kids are put in place that they won't play the position in college because it is where it best helps the team win

My bad scout had him at 6'4.5" and I rounded up.

You don't think these kids can be built up like that? I think old Robert Gallery was 220 or 230 lbs when he came in but he put on a few. These kids are high schoolers and will put on weight as they mature and lift more.

Weight isn't as big of an issue as you think, also a lot of DEs are now the hybrid which means they are lighter which means for a quicker rush. I'm not saying they won't end up as LBers cause they could, but they are being recruited as DEs and that is what I will consider them until KF swithches them.

Vencus 6'4 225 lbs
Ott 6'4 235 lbs
face it

You didn't answer my question about people saying Derby should be a DT.

i believe the D lined up in the 3-4 a few times against Oklahoma
and i doubt Morris loses his job
he had ankle problems for most of the 2nd half of the season
and i think Derby will have a say about the MLB spot
and has been stated the LB'r position is loaded
Kirksey, Hitchens, DiBona, Getz, Morris, Poggi, Alston, Derby and 6-7 freshmen who either were redshirted the year before or redshirted this year
so with this info the loss of not getting Lambert or any other lb'r is not that big a deal

We have plenty of LB talent that could play The 3-4. Derby & Alston were already rumored to have dabbled there.*

I think it will not be a blend*of wanting to get experienced players on the field and at the same time bring along an inexperienced DL. I hope we see 65% 4-3 and 35% 3-4. Aiken/Woods would have the ability to teach both techniques. Roth plays the 3-4 OLB position? He wasn't exactly 'nimble' enough to cover anybody in college? I think you will see more 230 - 260 lbs DE's come through Iowa. Part of our problem is that we had extremely athletic DE's in Clayborn/Ballard but were on the bigger side of typical DE's. Von Miller & Clowney type size/weight.

Latest posts