Proctor

Any chance the Ducks need a kicker, punter and special teams coach? If Phil Knight is looking to put together a national championship team in the next couple years, those three would be a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm with you, NOBODY watches it. We hear tidbits from the media or coverage from time-to-time, but the PAC 12 is not really followed. The games are on at odd times and the TV deals sucks.

Why go play out there if you can play in the BIG 10 where the conference is seen and prob the 2nd best conference in the nation, but prob the first for TV and organization as a conference. Why not play for Iowa who is certainly going to put you in the NFL and family can be 2 hrs from Kinnick to go to games.

He can make whatever choice he wants, but do it sensibly.

I've watched him and a part of me thinks he gives up after his first block on plays. He could easily pancake his assignment and get downfield 10-15 blocking another, but most times I haven't seen that. I question if the Oregon with their offensive style is going to match well with his blocking style and pace. But, I digress.
I very much want Proctor to come to Iowa, but can see him going to Oregon. It kills me to say this, but Oregon's facilities are second to none. Check them out on google. Insane. Also, Autzen stadium is arguably the loudest one in the country, and they pack that stadium. Oregon is also pretty successful at football. And the NIL thing, dammit.

I'm with you, though. I still hope he picks Iowa for all the right reasons (it's Iowa, it's close to home, and the history of NFL tackles). However, I won't be so narrow minded to think that a place like Oregon has nothing to offer. If nothing else, the scenery there is pretty awesome, too. Have you seen their cheerleaders? Also mountains and trees and stuff...

Nationally, I would imagine more people would tune in to watch Oregon than Iowa (unless Iowa is playing a name brand). I could be wrong, but they have a higher national profile in the media. Your viewpoint is from the perspective of being in Iowa... nobody on the west coast follows Iowa, fwiw (unless you are from Iowa).

I agree with you that on a national scale, people tune into Pac 12 games less because of the time difference, primarily.

Don't look now but the Pac 12 currently has 6 teams ranked in the AP top 25. The Big Ten has 3, and they are all from the East Division. I'm not so sure that everyone thinks that the Big Ten West is so awesome. The big ten has a ton of money, yes...

Don't look now but the Pac 12 currently has 6 teams ranked in the AP top 25. The Big Ten has 3, and they are all from the East Division. I'm not so sure that everyone thinks that the Big Ten West is so awesome. The big ten has a ton of money, yes...

The Pac 10 has 4 ranked teams, most of whom suck, the Big Ten has 5 ranked teams.

Ohio
Michigan
Pennsylvania
UCLA
U of Southern Cal

Please enlighten us, who are these people who comprise "everyone who thinks that the Big Ten West is so awesome?"

I know a bunch of people are saying shit like "I can understand him getting his money" in respect of this supposed NIL deal, but just like I would tell Kevin Kasper's kid he would have to be a moron to go to Iowa this Proctor kid would be a moron to go to Oregon. Iowa is an NFL factory for o-linemen, TEs, LBs and DBs. I get it, people get hurt, but he could get NIL at Iowa and he could buy insurance. If this kid is that risk averse and lacks confidence in his ability to get to the NFL, dude should seriously just go to Oregon because he ain't gonna fit in at Iowa.

If you're a lineman you gotta play in the SEC or Big Ten. The rest of these conferences are just out there playing grabass in the trenches and if this dude doesn't have the swagger to think he can be a first rounder irregardless of where he goes he's gonna wind up playing scurred all the time. I seriously think he would leave $15+ million on the table on his first contract if he doesn't go to the Big Ten or SEC. Honestly, if he wound up at Bama or Georgia or Tennessee I would totally understand and wouldn't even be that butthurt, but Oregon makes absolutely no sense for a star offensive lineman. Hell, I could even understand him going to Wisconsin or Illinois over Oregon.

The Pac 10 has 4 ranked teams, most of whom suck, the Big Ten has 5 ranked teams.

Ohio
Michigan
Pennsylvania
UCLA
U of Southern Cal

Please enlighten us, who are these people who comprise "everyone who thinks that the Big Ten West is so awesome?"

I know a bunch of people are saying shit like "I can understand him getting his money" in respect of this supposed NIL deal, but just like I would tell Kevin Kasper's kid he would have to be a moron to go to Iowa this Proctor kid would be a moron to go to Oregon. Iowa is an NFL factory for o-linemen, TEs, LBs and DBs. I get it, people get hurt, but he could get NIL at Iowa and he could buy insurance. If this kid is that risk averse and lacks confidence in his ability to get to the NFL, dude should seriously just go to Oregon because he ain't gonna fit in at Iowa.

If you're a lineman you gotta play in the SEC or Big Ten. The rest of these conferences are just out there playing grabass in the trenches and if this dude doesn't have the swagger to think he can be a first rounder irregardless of where he goes he's gonna wind up playing scurred all the time. I seriously think he would leave $15+ million on the table on his first contract if he doesn't go to the Big Ten or SEC. Honestly, if he wound up at Bama or Georgia or Tennessee I would totally understand and wouldn't even be that butthurt, but Oregon makes absolutely no sense for a star offensive lineman. Hell, I could even understand him going to Wisconsin or Illinois over Oregon.
I was thinking it'd probably make the most sense to take the Knight money for a year and then transfer to Iowa. He'll need 3 years in college before he can leave for the draft anyway. Get paid, and then go learn the craft from Jan 2024 through Jan 2026. Or do the money bag deals not work that way? Like dole it out for each year served? I'd insist on it upfront, or at least the majority of it...Oregon probably figures no way the guy gets a taste of things here and jumps on a plane to Iowa City before his 3 years are up.

I think having a super talented O lineman is incredibly relevant to Iowa's success. Have you seen our line?

If a team can go from 10 wins to more than 10 wins in a year, for example, that matters. Last year, Iowa was blown up by future NFL DEs (Purdue, Michigan) and it definitely mattered. Superstar-level tackles would help in situations like this. Same with that Herbig guy last week. He's a wrecking ball!
I get it, but you’d have Proctor plus 4 other very borderline o-lineman next year. Big Ten DCs are good enough to handle that. If you had another guy who was say all big ten level or even all American like we’ve had in the past I think it’d be pretty dangerous. It’d be a no brainer as an OC to just create a mismatch with Proctor plus the other guys we have.

The difference there is we know Phil is go8ng to be here next year - his position coach and his coordinator.

Iowa fans are vocal about getting rid of Barnett and BF - Proctor's position coach and coordinator.

Also Iowa D > Iowa O.
You think that would trump Kyler Kasper, Proctor, and NIL money all talking at once?

I very much want Proctor to come to Iowa, but can see him going to Oregon. It kills me to say this, but Oregon's facilities are second to none. Check them out on google. Insane. Also, Autzen stadium is arguably the loudest one in the country, and they pack that stadium. Oregon is also pretty successful at football. And the NIL thing, dammit.

I'm with you, though. I still hope he picks Iowa for all the right reasons (it's Iowa, it's close to home, and the history of NFL tackles). However, I won't be so narrow minded to think that a place like Oregon has nothing to offer. If nothing else, the scenery there is pretty awesome, too. Have you seen their cheerleaders? Also mountains and trees and stuff...

Nationally, I would imagine more people would tune in to watch Oregon than Iowa (unless Iowa is playing a name brand). I could be wrong, but they have a higher national profile in the media. Your viewpoint is from the perspective of being in Iowa... nobody on the west coast follows Iowa, fwiw (unless you are from Iowa).

I agree with you that on a national scale, people tune into Pac 12 games less because of the time difference, primarily.

They also have 4 starting OL that will be gone at the end of this season.

Ohio
Michigan
Pennsylvania
UCLA
U of Southern Cal

I thought lawyers could read.

I wrote: "I'm with you, though. I still hope he picks Iowa for all the right reasons (it's Iowa, it's close to home, and the history of NFL tackles)."

I also wrote: I'm not so sure that everyone thinks the Big Ten West is so awesome. You apparently read that to state "everyone thinks the Big Ten West is so awesome." I mean, likely, a lot of people, especially outside of Iowa, think the Big Ten West is a joke. That's why I said I'm not so sure that everyone thinks that the Big Ten West is so awesome.

You ok?

Last edited:
I get it, but you’d have Proctor plus 4 other very borderline o-lineman next year. Big Ten DCs are good enough to handle that. If you had another guy who was say all big ten level or even all American like we’ve had in the past I think it’d be pretty dangerous. It’d be a no brainer as an OC to just create a mismatch with Proctor plus the other guys we have.
I'm a little more optimistic about the future of the O line. I think they'll be better next year, and with the inclusion of Proctor I think think could be pretty good. I realize that's a stretch from their current, rather horrible level of play.

I'm not sure how it works if say a 23' player signs this spring than decides to transfer prior to the fall. Not sure how that is but doubt that would ever happen much. Most players that sign are gunna at least play one year. So, it kind of is a little more binding than just a verbal "Yea, I'll go to Iowa".
I know it's happened where kids have changed their minds after signing it. It's rare though but I want to say it's even happened to us a few yrs back but I can't remember who the player was off the top of my head. And I can't remember if hte kid was able to play right away where they went or had to sit out a yr or not

I'm a little more optimistic about the future of the O line. I think they'll be better next year, and with the inclusion of Proctor I think think could be pretty good. I realize that's a stretch from their current, rather horrible level of play.
It would seem the OL would have to be better next year as it is unlikely it could get worse.
That said, folks on this board have been forecasting a better line "next year" for the last three seasons. And each year it has gotten worse.

It would seem the OL would have to be better next year as it is unlikely it could get worse.
That said, folks on this board have been forecasting a better line "next year" for the last three seasons. And each year it has gotten worse.
Yeah, you have a good point. Sigh.

The one saving grace I keep going back to is the fact that On3 hasn't had a very good reputation making these calls, but this guy is a former ESPN and 247 guy so who knows.

I thought that last year. There were only 9 places to drop too to be last. Hawks picked up 8 of those so far.

Weren’t you the one who called total bullshit when I said he was gonna leave because you knew him and his family and he was committed and I was full of shit?
I still can’t find the post where i said i knew him and his family like we go bowling together fr something. Also, does that same post you are referring to show where i say you were full of shit. I’m sure it’s out there because you have seen the post. I just can’t recall or find it.

The Swarm collective apparently has put together a pretty good package for him. Will it match Oregon? No. But it could be enough to stay close to home.

Latest posts