Previewing the backs

Hawknick

Banned
The running game will be a strength of the team this year. This will be the first team with a running game coordinator, and they have the talent to make it happen. Let's start with the running backs.

Jordan Canzari 5'9" 192 senior. He is the most experienced running back. He also has great speed and vision. He has proven to excel in both the running and passing game, rushing for 1089 yards on 207 carries (5.3ypc), and 212 yards on 19 receptions.

Junior LeShun Daniels also has good speed, plus he has good size, 6' 225. He has rushed for 191 yards in his previous 2 years. He made great strides in between his sophomore and junior year as he now tops the depth chart!

Another fast running back option with spectacular moves is sophomore Akrum Wadley. He is 5'11" 185. Last year he ran for 186 yards on 33 carries. His running style has been compared to Ronnie Harmon.

Moving over from WR is sophomore Derrick Mitchell. He gives Iowa a bigger option at 6'1 212. In spring ball he showed that he is a major threat either running the ball or as a receiver out of the backfield.

There are 3 other good options at RB. RS FR Marcel Joly also switched from WR and showed a lot of promise this spring. RS FR CJ Hilliard is another good young back coming in at 5'10" 195. Don't count out true freshman Eric Graham either, he comes in with the ability to contribute right away.

Clearing a path for them will be an excellent group of full backs.

Last year's starter who made a great impact when he was healthy is back. 6'2" 244 Macon Plewa, a senior, is a powerful blocker. He also caught 10 passes.

Junior Adam Cox is also back from from injury. At 5'11" 234 he excels at getting great leverage on his blocks. He started in 2013, and could start again. This should be a great position battle to watch.

Backing them up will be Austin Kelly a 5'11" 245 pound rs fr, and all conference selection in high school. If called on Lane Acre the honorable mention all state true freshman from Geneseo Illinois could do the job well too. All though he may redshirt, I look forward to seeing him play in future years.

This should be a fun and productive group. I for one can't wait to see this team play!

Last edited:
I read this without looking at who posted it and automatically knew it was hawknick. Color me not impressed with the amateur scouting reports..

I don't know if cute would be the right way to describe this group. They are tough and gritty, yet they can make the moves they need to make to be successful.

At a time when we are in the dead news period of college football...no one should be critical of anything that you can read. You want to read drivel...go read the count down of the top 30 players on the paid site. Looking in the dictionary for redundant it says, see redundant. They have basically every day provided a list of players that everyone knows are the most important and basically said in each one, "he is very important to Iowa's success in 2015". The left tackle is important...you don't say. I'm thinking CJ Beathard is going to top their list and be the most important player for Iowa's success this year...just going out there and saying it. Crazy...I know...the quarterback.

It looks like a bunch of guys who have only really shown flashes of ability and playmaking, and the blocking will be done by guys who have shown even less. Color me skeptical, but this looks like a long frustrating year for all the running backs, with maybe an oddball 200 yard performance against Illinois or Northwestern thrown in.

Good preview. It might take the OTs a few games to gel so Plewa and Cox may be the key to run blocking and pass protection during the 1st half of the year. This could be as deep of a group of RBs and FBs as we have had in awhile. Knock on wood and let's keep them healthy for CJs sake.

We have some running backs who can make moves and seem to be able to hit the hole faster than what we are used to. The big question is can several of them be really good at seeing and hitting the right hole, and then being able to cut back.

For example Damon Bullock was pretty fast to the LOS but he hardly ever cut back or saw the cutback holes.

After practicing against Drew Ott, Nate Meier, and company the defenses they will go against in the regular season will seem like a cakewalk.

I think there is some talent at RB, the key will be whether they can remain healthy (Canzeri & Daniels) and if Wadley improves his ball security. Those seemed to be the key issues with these 3 last year.

After practicing against Drew Ott, Nate Meier, and company the defenses they will go against in the regular season will seem like a cakewalk.

There seems little reason to think that this years' offensive line will be anything better than mediocre. The tackles look scary.

There is actually some very talented players on the offensive line, and a lot of experience. Three starters return. They are very well coached. This group should to a good job opening holes for the running game.

There seems little reason to think that this years' offensive line will be anything better than mediocre. The tackles look scary.

Guys who have been her at least three years and who are highly regarded by the coaching staff (comments, etc) typically hit the field ready to play. Are there going to be bumps and learning experiences (blitz pick up and dline stunts)...sure there are. These guys were behind two seniors...one the outland trophy. I think we should let them play a bit. These guys are converted TE's, so the speed guys aren't going to hurt them IMO. They have huge upside due to their athleticism.

I'm optimistic...going against Ott every day is going to help Boone Myers a ton. He ran out of gas late in the year (too many snaps), but Ott showed he's an elite DE in the Big Ten. He could have a break out year...and earn some money in the draft. The other poster was right...I think there is only one guy in the league that is better than Ott, Bosa, and we don't play them.

We have an all american at center, and a Senior at one guard. If Welch is ready to play, I think the OL is going to be fine.

Akrum Wadley....style compared to Ronnie Harmon? Please.

I'd love to see the light go on for Daniels this year. He needs to break out.

I'll be the first to say that I am grateful Weisman was here to be a consistent runner, especially in 2012 when he was the only production. I still remember that TD he had in the Nebraska game when he got hit at the 5 yard line and bulled over huskers on his way to the endzone. But I am excited to see faster, quicker rbs get more carries consistently. I feel like a lot of these rbs didnt have the opportunity to have any break out performances and now we will be able to see canzeri and daniels share carries. I hope this leads to a more dynamic threat where they cannot stack the box knowing where it is going to go. An RB with the ability to cutback will be essential as opposing defenses havent had to worry about that at iowa for some time.

I sure hope you are getting a kickback/paid by KF for all these swarmy, everything is roses posts you enter. They are hilarious.

I think the hawk defense will be good, not 2013 good but I hope a little better than last year but that being said I dont think the Off Line is thinking they will have a cakewalk this year so utterly stupid/or trolling comment on your part.

I dont feel that I took your bait but instead trying to shine a light on your syrupy replies.

Latest posts