Preview, Prediction: Iowa-Rutgers Football

I know this might break some brains.... but does Iowa's yardage output have a little to do with field position? I mean, it's hard to put up big #'s yardage wise when you average starting at your opponents 40 yard line. I would say Iowa's offense has not pounced on the opportunities enough and more so, have turned it over in some key situations that denied the offense the chance to score.

I think you nailed it. IMO the alarming part isn't that were dead last in total offense in the conference as I don't think that really surprises anyone. It's how far back we are that IMO is mind blowing. I was able to accept that were last and not surprised, that said seeing Rutgers is 2nd to last in the conference and averaging almost 150 more yards per game, is so much worse then I'd ever imagined.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Unless this is how your program wins games and continually, routinely and regularly wins games for decades, with a recipe that makes you one of the best programs in the sport. Then I would say none of them, none of them would make a change.

If Iowa loses a lot of games this season, you'll see a change at OC. If they win 8+ games like they likely will, they won't.

I get your point, but even this offense is historically bad. I don't think those other Iowa offenses over all those years averaged 200 yds of offense.

I get your point, but even this offense is historically bad. I don't think those other Iowa offenses over all those years averaged 200 yds of offense.
I agree, they've never been this bad but there are still 9 games on the slate and the rest of the division looks very average. That's the reason that I say there will be no choice but to make a change if Iowa ends up having a bad season. But we've seen this a lot during the last 23 years. A team that looks incompetent in a lot of areas, with deficiencies in a lot of areas and those teams go on and end up having decent years. Iowa is good at covering up their weak spots and winning non traditionally. I don't think that's up for debate at this point. I guess I ask, what's the hurry? What is everyone's hurry here. Let it play out. We haven't been sitting through bad football for the last two decades.

I agree, they've never been this bad but there are still 9 games on the slate and the rest of the division looks very average. That's the reason that I say there will be no choice but to make a change if Iowa ends up having a bad season. But we've seen this a lot during the last 23 years. A team that looks incompetent in a lot of areas, with deficiencies in a lot of areas and those teams go on and end up having decent years. Iowa is good at covering up their weak spots and winning non traditionally. I don't think that's up for debate at this point. I guess I ask, what's the hurry? What is everyone's hurry here. Let it play out. We haven't been sitting through bad football for the last two decades.

You typically have good takes on this kind of stuff. I enjoy reading your impressions as you are usually pretty grounded.

You typically have good takes on this kind of stuff. I enjoy reading your impressions as you are usually pretty grounded.
I try, I know I get called a sunshine pumper a lot, but I've been watching this program a lot since the late 80's. I try not to over react to everything. I've seen Iowa win a whole lot of games I didn't expect them too. I've seen them lose some I didn't expect either, but for the most part, they've been on the right side of things. I know I'm in the minority, but I credit that to our head coach. I've at the very least, learned that football games rarely go as they look on paper. Sometimes they do, but that's why they play the games. Iowa has a knack for winning.

If Iowa isn't winning, I don't think Kirk wants any part of that. He's trying to cement his legacy not tarnish it. He's a big picture guy. No way he comes back next year if Iowa fails to win 6 games. I don't see that happening though and frankly I could give 2 shits about where our offense is ranked.

I am a bottom line kind of fan.

I try, I know I get called a sunshine pumper a lot, but I've been watching this program a lot since the late 80's. I try not to over react to everything. I've seen Iowa win a whole lot of games I didn't expect them too. I've seen them lose some I didn't expect either, but for the most part, they've been on the right side of things. I know I'm in the minority, but I credit that to our head coach. I've at the very least, learned that football games rarely go as they look on paper. Sometimes they do, but that's why they play the games. Iowa has a knack for winning.

If Iowa isn't winning, I don't think Kirk wants any part of that. He's trying to cement his legacy not tarnish it. He's a big picture guy. No way he comes back next year if Iowa fails to win 6 games. I don't see that happening though and frankly I could give 2 shits about where our offense is ranked.

I am a bottom line kind of fan.
Don't you think he'd want to come back to go out with a successful season? I don't see him hanging it up after a mediocre or less than expected season. I would think that would eat at a guy like him.

Now maybe if Barta or he felt he was being forced to make a decision on Brian and his future, maybe I could see him saying the hell with it. I don't know.

Don't you think he'd want to come back to go out with a successful season? I don't see him hanging it up after a mediocre or less than expected season. I would think that would eat at a guy like him.

Now maybe if Barta or he felt he was being forced to make a decision on Brian and his future, maybe I could see him saying the hell with it. I don't know.
I think he'd rather go out on top but I think he saw how Hayden's final years went as well. He's smart enough to know he likely doesn't have another revitalization of the program left in the tank. He would be forced to make a decision on Brian and I could see him just saying F it, this is my time to get out.

Unless this is how your program wins games and continually, routinely and regularly wins games for decades, with a recipe that makes you one of the best programs in the sport. Then I would say none of them, none of them would make a change.

If Iowa loses a lot of games this season, you'll see a change at OC. If they win 8+ games like they likely will, they won't.

Iowa will definitely be losing lots of games this year. Unless of course something drastic changes and Iowa catches lightning in a bottle!!

No changes will be made at OC at Iowa unless KF is no longer the coach and or BF leaves the program for another gig. KF will not demote his Boy!

We sold out every game. BF isnt going anywhere. It will take several years of declining attendance and continued shitty offense and bad recruiting and lots of transfers.

I truly believe Iowa will hire BF as our next HC. KF has way too much pull with the money men.

Iowa (-17), Rutgers (-19) . Since two negatives make a positive, bet the over. Iowa wins on a 72 yard punt downed at the 1 yard line with 21 seconds left, we get a safety to win it.

While KF has Barta in his pocket and good relations with the boosters, there is no chance BF is hired as the next coach as things sit right now. There is a difference between being very popular and being the dictator. KF is the former, not the latter.

KF is not planning to go anywhere soon. Way too much script to be written before any decisions are made on his replacement.

I guess it really boils down to how much goodwill Kirk is willing to leverage. If Iowa wins 7+ games he will stay, if things go sideways (which is always a possibility) and this offense continues to struggle, I believe he picks retirement over demoting his son. Course Brian could fix things by departing on his own. If Iowa loses 7 to 8 games this year, sell-outs will be a thing of the past. Decommits and the portal could really rev. up the engine of change as well. Or the offense improves and we live happily ever after. Indifference is the real enemy.

The sad part is due to KF stubbornness has blown any opportunity in my mind to leave this program better off than the one he took over! He’s had plenty of opportunities to improve what’s been the part that has held Iowa back and it’s the part he has the most and ownership in and we all know what that is. The Offensive!!

Sad to see a program stuck in a Offensive time warp!!! Especially with the defensive units this program has had under his tenure.

I know this might break some brains.... but does Iowa's yardage output have a little to do with field position? I mean, it's hard to put up big #'s yardage wise when you average starting at your opponents 40 yard line. I would say Iowa's offense has not pounced on the opportunities enough and more so, have turned it over in some key situations that denied the offense the chance to score.
Very little. Their 3rd down stats are horrible, and so are their yards per play.