Preview, Prediction: Iowa-Rutgers Football

Iowa is ranked last in the conference in total offense (217.7 yards per game). Rutgers (369.3) is only one spot ahead of the Hawkeyes.

Yikes! Quite the yardage difference. Double yikes!!

Iowa is ranked last in the conference in total offense (217.7 yards per game). Rutgers (369.3) is only one spot ahead of the Hawkeyes.

I think you nailed it. IMO the alarming part isn't that were dead last in total offense in the conference as I don't think that really surprises anyone. It's how far back we are that IMO is mind blowing. I was able to accept that were last and not surprised, that said seeing Rutgers is 2nd to last in the conference and averaging almost 150 more yards per game, is so much worse then I'd ever imagined.

I think you nailed it. IMO the alarming part isn't that were dead last in total offense in the conference as I don't think that really surprises anyone. It's how far back we are that IMO is mind blowing. I was able to accept that were last and not surprised, that said seeing Rutgers is 2nd to last in the conference and averaging almost 150 more yards per game, is so much worse then I'd ever imagined.
Have you honestly ever seen a Big team this bad on O considering the competition? Ever?

I was at the 2016 game @ Buttgers where we squeaked out a 14-7 win partially due to the fact their stud WR got hurt. Buttgers ended up 2-10 that year (started 2-1 then lost nine in a row, winless in league play).

I sense a similar game coming up.

Quaint stadium....people there had no idea at the time where Iowa was or what the B1G conference was. touring NYC was cool.

I am not going to get hung up on the stats for the first three games. There were extenuating circumstances in that Iowa didn't need much offense given how dominant the defense was. In three games, the D has had one bad drive. That's it.

The offensive opponents will slowly get better and so our defense won't hold everyone under 11 points. So, I want to see the offense as a whole slowly get better. I doubt we ever climb out of the statistical hole we are in right now, but if we can even achieve something around what Rutgers is doing on offense, we will be in just about every game. 350 yards of offense, 1 or no turnovers, and 17 points by the offense will likely win most games given our D and special teams. That is sadly still possibly an unrealistic goal.

Didnt know whether to laugh or cry after reading this article. The battle of the non-offenses. I still think we win it………. I hope.

At this level when you see something like this it's 100% on 1 person the OC positioning!!!!!

How many programs in the country would of already made a change? I can answer that LOTS OF THEM!!!

Total points or total punts, which will be higher? The jokes are already coming in.

If Iowa doesn’t turn the ball over they will win. Give me the Hawks 13-10.

Didnt know whether to laugh or cry after reading this article. The battle of the non-offenses. I still think we win it………. I hope.

You honestly really think Iowa wins?? I don't know whether to laugh or laugh harder after reading that :)..

If this OL Doesn't improve Iowa doesn't have a many more opportunities to win especially on the road in the Big Ten! This is setting up to be a very ugly Big Ten Season for the Ferentz's!!

Total offense rankings Rutgers is 91 and Iowa 131. Scoring Offense Rutgers 56 and Iowa 124..

Statically Rutgers has shown this year that they actually can move the ball and score. So I would beg to differ on the comment the battle of the non-offenses!

Total offense rankings Rutgers is 91 and Iowa 131. Scoring Offense Rutgers 56 and Iowa 124..

Statically Rutgers has shown this year that they actually can move the ball and score. So I would beg to differ on the comment the battle of the non-offenses!

That was based on the fact that they won one of their games with out scoring a touchdown. Our defense will be by far the best defense they will have played.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t score a TD and we just have to hope we can punt the ball on their side of the fifty to keep them out of field goal range. They may be thinking the same thing about us.

I am thinking our defense wins this for us, not our offense. No one has been more critical of our offense than I have and not just this year but for at least the last twelve years.

The Parkers have saved Kirk’s ass!!!

So Rutgers offense sucks, Iowa's offense sucks.....so watch it be a high scoring game.

Lol, not going to happen against our defense unless we see a bunch of pick sixes by Spencer.
Spencer did make some progress as did a few of the offensive line men.

Iowa 16 (three field goals and one TD)
Rutgers 6 (two fields)

Total points or total punts, which will be higher? The jokes are already coming in.

If Iowa doesn’t turn the ball over they will win. Give me the Hawks 13-10.
It's not just a one sided bitchfest. On Rutgers's message board, they are bitching about their offense, QB's, OC, etc. and it seems that both teams refuse to score so whichever team refuses to score the least will win. One poster also noted that the battle of team MVP's will be the most interesting part of the game.

Our MVP averages 48.3 ypp, with a net of 43.0 (5 touchbacks and 22 return yards.

Their MVP averages 42.1 yards per punt, but his net is 42.1 because he has no touchbacks and no return yards allowed. His punts have all been downed or fair caught, which is an interesting thing to have happened.

We average giving up 194 ypg, and they give up 240 ypg. Can we gain 240 yards against air? My guess is that BF will try to prove us wrong and try to get that on the first play of the game.

I will go against the grain and predict a bit more offense for Iowa than most think. With Nico back I feel like BF finally sees that without vertical passing, this offense is going nowhere. I think we get one big passing play, and a couple of short fields courtesy of our defense and punter. I will go with

Iowa 20
Rutty 9

At this level when you see something like this it's 100% on 1 person the OC positioning!!!!!

How many programs in the country would of already made a change? I can answer that LOTS OF THEM!!!
Unless this is how your program wins games and continually, routinely and regularly wins games for decades, with a recipe that makes you one of the best programs in the sport. Then I would say none of them, none of them would make a change.

If Iowa loses a lot of games this season, you'll see a change at OC. If they win 8+ games like they likely will, they won't.

Latest posts