Preview, Prediction: Iowa-Michigan Football

It seems like our recent wins against top-10 opponents featured some big plays by guys with game-breaking talent. We leaned heavily on Wadley in 2016 (Mich) and Fant/Hockenson/Wadley in 2017 (OSU).

We leaned on Goodson vs. #7 Minny in 2019.

2021 was a bit of an exception, as the offense largely struggled the whole game vs. PSU. But aside from the big play to Ragaini, the other biggest play may have been Johnson making a 2 yard hitch into a 40 yard reception. But that game was really won because PSU couldn't do anything offensively once Clifford was out.

I don't think we win this without a "big play guy." Do we have such a thing on this offense? I am not sure, which is why I think we come up short. But if we win, I think we will remember this as the coming out party for Kaleb Johnson. Or the defense/special teams score twice.

I'm sensing an afternoon similar to the OSU game where Brian coaches the game of his life. Then the Offense becomes the worst in D1 football the rest of the year and they finish 7-5.

I will jump on the @RobHowe bandwagon. No analytical breakdown, just a straight up homer pick:
Hawks 23
Michigan 20

JJ McCarthy will get rattled enough for Iowa to win.

Really don’t know what to expect. Never bet on Iowa games.
I mentioned in the other thread, sure hope Iowa comes out the first drive with three TE sets like they did @OSU or something like with Fant and Hockenson were they were able to spread them out without subbing.

This game will be a reality check for the program and prove we can still beat the 'big boys' as a perennial contender in the B10.
I predict Brian will finally take the gloves off the new high-powered offense he has been holding in reserve during these first four games.

It would be nice to steal one from either Mich or OSU, and if we were, it would be more likely Michigan given we owe them a little payback from last year. Having said that, the defense has to have their game of the year, which is not an unrealistic expectation. The offense-not expecting anything, really, but if we can get a semblance of a run game going, it might be enough to support the defensive effort. Gotta hope for a low score, maybe something like 12-10 with a late field goal to win it. It has happened before............

If you've followed any of my college football picks this season, you'll stay clear of taking my advice.

I feel so strongly that Iowa keeps it within 11 that it scares me.

If you've followed any of my college football picks this season, you'll stay clear of taking my advice.

All good there, fella. Sports picking is about as scientific as weather forecasting. Lots of data, models, and even experience. But all it takes is a butterfly to flap it's wings in Lamoni and everything changes.

A little different when you 'go on the record' with a pick. Not the same for me. When playing darts (301), if I'm ahead and need one bullseye for the win, and miss on the first 2 throws, I always close my eyes. I turn and face my opponent and all those around me so they can see my eyes are closed. Then I throw the dart.

If I make it, I look like a genius and skilled dart player. If I miss? Well, nobody would ever expect me to hit it, so it's irrelevant. All reward. No risk.

Easy for me to predict games because I am completely guessing and nobody cares what I have to say. I'm just a semi-regular nitwit on a message board. If I get it right, I'll crow about it. If not, nobody will even remember.

Anyone else get so nervous for games like this that they don't even want to watch? It is the stupidest thing, I know, but these games send my anxiety through the roof. For the 2017 OSU game, I was getting a haircut at the start of the game (watched Hooker score the game's first TD at Sport Clips), and then I took my kids to a play ground for most of the first half (checking in on score periodically). I didn't feel comfortable sitting down and watching until the second half.

I know the big-game stadium atmosphere can't be beat...but I prefer to be at home so I can keep busy (e.g. cook some food) to at least partially occupy my mind. I am weird.

Anyone else get so nervous for games like this that they don't even want to watch? It is the stupidest thing, I know, but these games send my anxiety through the roof. For the 2017 OSU game, I was getting a haircut at the start of the game (watched Hooker score the game's first TD at Sport Clips), and then I took my kids to a play ground for most of the first half (checking in on score periodically). I didn't feel comfortable sitting down and watching until the second half.

I know the big-game stadium atmosphere can't be beat...but I prefer to be at home so I can keep busy (e.g. cook some food) to at least partially occupy my mind. I am weird.

I would be hugely nervous (anxious, is probably more accurate than nervous) if they were racking up average to slightly above average yardage in every game. And showing they could regularly get first downs and drive the ball. We would be handily 4-0 and probably ranked, or just outside the top 25 at the worst A win in this game would just about make us favorites for the title contender from the West. It's surely a game I would have watched live. Instead of waiting to see if they win and then watch on the DVR.

Even if they lose Saturday, they're still in the mix, but a win surely keeps them in the mix. Win or lose, there's still so many landmines ahead that are worriesome. And even then, they'll either have to play Michigan (or a better team) from the East to win the title.

I'll probably DVR this game. Unless my middle son who'll be at the game starts blowing up my phone. He'll only do that if they're winning. If it's bad, he'll let me know and go radio silent.

I would love to see our O line take another step against M. I really think we have 3 very, very good running backs. The new guy may well become all BT down the road. Our two sophs are quicker and shiftier than I expected, but also can punish defenders. The fresh legs really matter. Catching the ball out of the backfield is a big plus for these guys. And, it’s a high % completion for Petras. I would not be shocked to see a couple of big running plays on Saturday.

I agree hope to see progress. I'm sure there will be series or two where they look improved. However I'd say we have 2 good RBs. #2 and #4. #25 hesitates and seems to just run in a straight line until he's tackled or falls forward (that's not all bad).

Didnt you pick them to win because then your best bet would be Iowa ML. That would be a better pay out.

This game will be a reality check for the program and prove we can still beat the 'big boys' as a perennial contender in the B10.
I predict Brian will finally take the gloves off the new high-powered offense he has been holding in reserve during these first four games.
I was wrong on both counts.

Last edited: