Preview, Prediction: Iowa-Michigan Football

If Iowa wins Saturday will you come on the Board and actually say something positive about Iowa? Pretty please.
No he won't. It'll be about how Iowa is lucky and it's just a fluke, and then he'll drop some vague, cryptic reference to the Iowa program being rotten under the hood.

After listening to no fewer than 4 michigan podcasts, all of them agree on one thing. You dont just roll into Kinnick and blow them out. It will be a fight.

After thinking about it, Iowa will be ready to play and at times they'll make us proud. There will be some dramatic stops on Defense and the O from time to time will click like we havn't seen this season. We'll hang our hat on that.

At the same time, Michigan will move the ball. I think they'll be balanced running and passing. They'll throw just as well if not better than Rutgers (ya think?). Iowa's efforts to hold UM's rushing will be ok...for awhile.

UM will play man coverage most of the time.

It wont' be enough.

UM will start slow and take control of the game by mid 3rd quarter and they'll win with 3 TDs and a FG or two, while Iowa scores just twice. so 24-6 or 31-10

You'll see familiar things like:

-- a nice drive into the red zone by Iowa followed by Iowa taking a sack and having to kick FG
-- Iowa's WR unable to get separation ..but first you'll notice Spencer has no place to go with the ball
-- UM completing passes on 3rd down because they find the soft spot in the zone.
-- Iowa not completing passes on 3rd down
-- No big plays by Iowa
-- Iowa getting a few sacks on UM

I hope I'm dead wrong
I bet we see all of those things but UM turns it over 3 times to Iowa's 1 and that's all it takes to make the difference in the winner.

Aint gonna happen, but yes I will. Ferentzing does happen. Regardless, it is my opinion that KF needs to go regardless of w/l.

How would you possibly explain things if Iowa wins (even by a bunch) and then gets smacked down by NW and others when the play calling returns?

Fact is you can't.

You obviously don't read. I have repeatedly even before it was vogue said that Iowa has typically 90 percent of the factors to be a playoff team and that those "missing" factors are well below P5 talent. It's not rocket science. Something is very wrong with the HC. Has he done reasonably well in W/L? Of course. Is there consistently a grossly bad piece? Of course. Is something amiss in the overall handling of the program...yes, but it's under such lock and key that it doesn't get exposed.

If they get boat raced having a top flight D and special teams (minus returns this year) can you begin to recognise something is amiss?
You can count how many times KF has been boat raced in 23 years at home on 1 hand. We recognize a good football program, sorry you can't.

I bet we see all of those things but UM turns it over 3 times to Iowa's 1 and that's all it takes to make the difference in the winner.
And punting. Can't stress enough how important it is to consistently make Michigan start inside it's own 10 or 15.

The MVP chants in Kinnick every week are valid. I firmly believe he's the single biggest difference maker on this team, and I don't mean that in a negative way about our defense in any way.

You can count how many times KF has been boat raced in 23 years at home on 1 hand. We recognize a good football program, sorry you can't.
He's mad because he hates the Hawkeyes and doesn't get to post his op-ed pieces about the evils of Hawkeye sports on the main boards anymore.

If Iowa wins on Saturday, they're ranked on Monday in the top 25 for the 8th straight season...... and even that won't shut up idiots.

I really like Iowa in this spot and it's mostly because they've already lost a game. If Iowa was 4-0, they'd be ranked and there would be a strong narrative that Iowa didn't deserve to be with their offense. The talking heads would be making fun of how bad Iowa's offense is and how they were frauds that didn't deserve the ranking. But instead, this week, the talk is about how Iowa slays top 5 teams at home on the reg. Also, when Iowa does start off undefeated early in seasons, they seem to play tighter and they are hunted rather than the hunter. Now were huge underdogs and this is a spot where our program has genuinely thrived in the KF era.

If Iowa wins this it'll be because the Oline and running game can build off of what they just did. They'll need damn near 150ish on the ground and a lot of success on early downs doing it. Not to mention convert a 3rd down once in awhile. Petras will have to not turn it over obviously and just not make any big mistakes. Hit on a couple big ones (might only take 1). The D will have to just keep doing what they are doing. They hold Michigan to under 20 we have a punchers chance. Much more then that....

Last edited:
He's mad because he hates the Hawkeyes and doesn't get to post his op-ed pieces about the evils of Hawkeye sports on the main boards anymore.
Dude, NO one was worse than you earlier.

That said, the teams that are over two years together are:

U Conn, Colorado, New Mexico, U Mass, Iowa.

You don't see anything wrong there?

Time will tell.

Didn't say they don't win games. I understand a major problem when I see one.
we've won 75% of our games for the last 5 years, please STFU

- your major problem might be a little to high on the scale of what's actually a major problem.

If the hawkeyes get Michigan into a Rock fight and it goes into the 4th quarter, you'll hear announcers from other games saying "Iowa" is happening to Michigan. Iowa will become a verb

If Iowa wins this it'll be because the Oline and running game can build off of what they just did. They'll need damn near 150ish on the ground and a lot of success on early downs doing it. Not to mention convert a 3rd down once in awhile. Petras will have to not turn it over obviously and just not make any big mistakes. Hit on a couple big ones (might only take 1). The D will have to just keep doing what they are doing. They hold Michigan to under 20 we have a punchers chance. Much more then that....
This. And control the time of possession, i.e. play keep-away from the Fighting Harbaugh's.

we've won 75% of our games for the last 5 years, please STFU

- your major problem might be a little to high on the scale of what's actually a major problem.
You're feeding the biggest OT troll on the site. He's trying to get someone baited into an argument about KF and who/why his "favorites" are, and about how evil Iowa/KF/BF are behind the scenes. He knows he can't do that here and it gives him world-class level diaper rash. Which is dumb because there's a whole forum dedicated to that.

If the hawkeyes get Michigan into a Rock fight and it goes into the 4th quarter, you'll hear announcers from other games saying "Iowa" is happening to Michigan. Iowa will become a verb
I sure as hell wouldn't want to play as a visitor in Kinnick. have you ever seen how close our visitor stands are to the players? YOu could literally reach out and grab their jerseys. I've sat down there before and it's fucking brutal. Some of those players literally look like they want to cry. The shit that get's yelled at them from three feet away is like a 14.8 on the heckling scale of 1-10.

This. And control the time of possession, i.e. play keep-away from the Fighting Harbaugh's.
Yup the combination of running the ball ourselves getting a couple first downs and winning field position battle all ties into our recipe for success. Forcing them into 3 and outs deep in their territory is also paramount. Will be easier said then done their O is good. They haven't really played anyone yet so that'll be an interesting thing to watch

I ain't gonna profess to know who will win this game, but if I coached Michigan and had a top 10 ball club my asshole would clinch up if I had to make a trip to Kinnick. Hell, I've only seen Iowa lose to Michigan once and that includes a trip to the so-called "Big House" where Iowa won. I remember the game we lost like it was yesterday. It was 2005. Iowa had won 20 some home games in a row. I had developed a routine, it was to go out and get piss drunk Friday night, get out of bed at 6:30-ish Saturday, not shower and I had a rotation of a few shirts I would wear.

Well that go thrown for a loop because it was sweatshirt weather that day, but my "lucky sweatshirt" was grey and some chucklefuck in the athletic department declared that particular day a "Be Bold, Wear Gold" day. I rolled out to the tailgate wearing my normal grey sweatshirt. I caught shit from maybe 20 people. I had to take a monster dump so I ran home to pinch a loaf at about 9:15 and went ahead and changed into a yellow sweatshirt. Big mistake. That Michigan game started a funk for the program that lasted until the Penn State game in 2008. The next game after the Michigan game was at Northwestern and I showered before that one. That was the game where we had a 13 point lead and the ball with 5 minutes to go and we somehow managed to lose.
Look pal, I know you like going down memory lane, and maybe people think they can make up things and call them facts these days, but that definitely wasn't a Wear Gold game. I remember coming back into town for that game and going with my dad - and I know I've never been to a gold out game. Maybe when you pinched a loaf, it was more like scattershot, mornin'-after beer shizzles, and the backsplash had a little too much dirt in it and stained said grey hoodie, thus the switch to the unlucky yellow one. But don't put that bad decision on the rest of us.

Look pal, I know you like going down memory lane, and maybe people think they can make up things and call them facts these days, but that definitely wasn't a Wear Gold game. I remember coming back into town for that game and going with my dad - and I know I've never been to a gold out game. Maybe when you pinched a loaf, it was more like scattershot, mornin'-after beer shizzles, and the backsplash had a little too much dirt in it and stained said grey hoodie, thus the switch to the unlucky yellow one. But don't put that bad decision on the rest of us.

You may be right. It was either a be bold wear gold, a blackout or a stripe game. All I know is my grey sweatshirt was not in the mix.

I don't see the Hawks winning this game.
But I also don't feel like they can't. I firmly believe they will have one game this season where it looks like they put it together on offense and almost dominate. If it had been against Rutgers, they would have scored 50 points.

If it's against Michigan, they'll get nearly 30 points and hold Michigan to 17 or less, with at least one late field goal or TD coming against soft/prevent defense late in the second half.

However, I'm going with something like 27-13 with the Cesspool to the East coming out on top in a relatively uncontested game. Offense will run the ball fairly well. Which'll give Petras some time and the TEs some room. And we might even see a few balls aimed at receivers. Enough for our best drive of the season to give us the 7. The field goals will come off an interception and a field position gift from Taylor.

I would love to see our O line take another step against M. I really think we have 3 very, very good running backs. The new guy may well become all BT down the road. Our two sophs are quicker and shiftier than I expected, but also can punish defenders. The fresh legs really matter. Catching the ball out of the backfield is a big plus for these guys. And, it’s a high % completion for Petras. I would not be shocked to see a couple of big running plays on Saturday.