Preview, Prediction: Iowa-Michigan Football

That's a big balls prediction by Mr. Howe.

If it is still less than a touchdown game in the 3rd quarter, I like Iowa's chances to win. A lot. But, if Michigan is able to get up by 10 points early, that might be insurmountable. The first 3-4 possessions of this game will be about as critical as they get.

Love the prediction, but boy, I don't know. Michigan has a great running game and apparently the #1 or close to #1 passing defense in the country. If they load the box to stop the run and Iowa can't effectively pass the ball against their top passing D, it's going to make for a long day. Add into that, if Michigan is running the ball they are controlling the LOS and TOP in the game, not a good situation for Iowa.

But, crazier things in football and Iowa football have happened in the past.

Love the prediction, but boy, I don't know. Michigan has a great running game and apparently the #1 or close to #1 passing defense in the country. If they load the box to stop the run and Iowa can't effectively pass the ball against their top passing D, it's going to make for a long day. Add into that, if Michigan is running the ball they are controlling the LOS and TOP in the game, not a good situation for Iowa.

But, crazier things in football and Iowa football have happened in the past.

I ain't gonna profess to know who will win this game, but if I coached Michigan and had a top 10 ball club my asshole would clinch up if I had to make a trip to Kinnick. Hell, I've only seen Iowa lose to Michigan once and that includes a trip to the so-called "Big House" where Iowa won. I remember the game we lost like it was yesterday. It was 2005. Iowa had won 20 some home games in a row. I had developed a routine, it was to go out and get piss drunk Friday night, get out of bed at 6:30-ish Saturday, not shower and I had a rotation of a few shirts I would wear.

Well that go thrown for a loop because it was sweatshirt weather that day, but my "lucky sweatshirt" was grey and some chucklefuck in the athletic department declared that particular day a "Be Bold, Wear Gold" day. I rolled out to the tailgate wearing my normal grey sweatshirt. I caught shit from maybe 20 people. I had to take a monster dump so I ran home to pinch a loaf at about 9:15 and went ahead and changed into a yellow sweatshirt. Big mistake. That Michigan game started a funk for the program that lasted until the Penn State game in 2008. The next game after the Michigan game was at Northwestern and I showered before that one. That was the game where we had a 13 point lead and the ball with 5 minutes to go and we somehow managed to lose.

After listening to no fewer than 4 michigan podcasts, all of them agree on one thing. You dont just roll into Kinnick and blow them out. It will be a fight.

After thinking about it, Iowa will be ready to play and at times they'll make us proud. There will be some dramatic stops on Defense and the O from time to time will click like we havn't seen this season. We'll hang our hat on that.

At the same time, Michigan will move the ball. I think they'll be balanced running and passing. They'll throw just as well if not better than Rutgers (ya think?). Iowa's efforts to hold UM's rushing will be ok...for awhile.

UM will play man coverage most of the time.

It wont' be enough.

UM will start slow and take control of the game by mid 3rd quarter and they'll win with 3 TDs and a FG or two, while Iowa scores just twice. so 24-6 or 31-10

You'll see familiar things like:

-- a nice drive into the red zone by Iowa followed by Iowa taking a sack and having to kick FG
-- Iowa's WR unable to get separation ..but first you'll notice Spencer has no place to go with the ball
-- UM completing passes on 3rd down because they find the soft spot in the zone.
-- Iowa not completing passes on 3rd down
-- No big plays by Iowa
-- Iowa getting a few sacks on UM

I hope I'm dead wrong

I hope you would remember last years ass kicking they give us not saying its something you want to remember but you said you only have seen michigan beat iowa once and that was 2005.
I meant in person. Sorry for not making that clear. Michigan scored a few points on us last year in that postseason exhibition game, but we were just a few plays away from winning that game.

Don’t recall the year, but I watched Iowa kick M’s ass in the Big House. I love road victories!

I think Michigan comes in and gets two touchdowns early then we settle in and start chipping away.

Iowa wins 16-14 and Michigan gets nothing after the first quarter.

Michigan 20-16. We get a chance to pull off the upset but turn it over with less than 2 minutes to go.

How about this for a prediction?

Iowa 38
Michigan 17

Another one of those where the F has this been from Iowa and where did Brian pull this game plan out of his ass? The Iowa defense exposes Michigan as a fraud and Iowa controls the game from start to finish. Everything goes right on offense, defense, and special teams.

Then a rock fight at Illinois with Iowa escaping.......then the predictable blow out loss in Columbus.

By the 4th quarter the defense is going to be wore out from all the 3 and outs on offense. I refuse to predict a score because the last time I did I almost nailed it. But I don’t think it’s going to be pretty.

If Iowa wins Saturday will you come on the Board and actually say something positive about Iowa? Pretty please.
Aint gonna happen, but yes I will. Ferentzing does happen. Regardless, it is my opinion that KF needs to go regardless of w/l.

How would you possibly explain things if Iowa wins (even by a bunch) and then gets smacked down by NW and others when the play calling returns?

Fact is you can't.

You obviously don't read. I have repeatedly even before it was vogue said that Iowa has typically 90 percent of the factors to be a playoff team and that those "missing" factors are well below P5 talent. It's not rocket science. Something is very wrong with the HC. Has he done reasonably well in W/L? Of course. Is there consistently a grossly bad piece? Of course. Is something amiss in the overall handling of the program...yes, but it's under such lock and key that it doesn't get exposed.

If they get boat raced having a top flight D and special teams (minus returns this year) can you begin to recognise something is amiss?

By the 4th quarter the defense is going to be wore out from all the 3 and outs on offense. I refuse to predict a score because the last time I did I almost nailed it. But I don’t think it’s going to be pretty.

That will be a big part of it. But I also think Iowa will show flashes and the fans will point to that. Think about it, in 2016 if their QB could throw an accurate ball they would have beaten Iowa by 2 TDs at least.

A few things I expect
- Even though Iowa makes UM Punt, Iowa will have bad field position
- Iowa's running game will show life but then go to sleep as the WRs cant get open and the hawks become one dimentional.
- Iowas pass rush will be impressive but not decisive
- Iowa's pass defense will be soft and give up yards...and this will shock everyone and this could be the most decisive part of the game

Defense will play a good game against a tough opponent.

It really is on the offense. Play a little better than Rutgers, continue to progress in all phases, could happen. Would be a hell of alot of screaming and shouting at a flat and well lit LED screen at my house for sure if this happens.

Latest posts