Pretenders?

loesshillshawk

Not jumping off the ship, but if your going to be on the #1 seed line...you better toughen up. Poor FT, again, Uthoff disappears, bench nothing, big concerns in my mind. Number 1 seeded teams do not do this in their 2 biggest games of the year.

Not jumping off the ship, but if your going to be on the #1 seed line...you better toughen up. Poor FT, again, Uthoff disappears, bench nothing, big concerns in my mind. Number 1 seeded teams do not do this in their 2 biggest games of the year.

No they do it at Kansas State, home against Nebraska, at UNI, at Michigan, home against Providence, at Oklahoma State, at Creighton....

Actually yea they do. They do it at Iowa State, at Oklahoma, at Michigan State, at Virginia, and of course, at Maryland and Indiana.

If being a pretender means we aren't really a number 1 seed and we're really a 2 or 3 seed, then maybe we're pretenders. But we are definitely a top 10 team. Even if we only had a couple losses, people would be questioning if we are pretenders because it's possible we aren't really hands down the best team in the nation. One thing's for sure, we're a lot better than we were supposed to be and it will never be good enough because expectations change to always be a little bit higher than where the team is currently at.

No they do it at Kansas State, home against Nebraska, at UNI, at Michigan, home against Providence, at Oklahoma State, at Creighton....

Actually yea they do. They do it at Iowa State, at Oklahoma, at Michigan State, at Virginia, and of course, at Maryland and Indiana.

If being a pretender means we aren't really a number 1 seed and we're really a 2 or 3 seed, then maybe we're pretenders. But we are definitely a top 10 team. Even if we only had a couple losses, people would be questioning if we are pretenders because it's possible we aren't really hands down the best team in the nation. One thing's for sure, we're a lot better than we were supposed to be and it will never be good enough because expectations change to always be a little bit higher than where the team is currently at.

/end thread

Uthoff disappears? Seriously? If 24 points and 5 boards is disappearing I hope his narrow *** disappears every night for the rest of the season.

We lost a hard fought game on the road against a very good team in a very tough venue. Breathe deep... life is good.

Uthoff disappears? Seriously? If 24 points and 5 boards is disappearing I hope his narrow *** disappears every night for the rest of the season.

We lost a hard fought game on the road against a very good team in a very tough venue. Breathe deep... life is good.

This!! OP you clearly need to sleep this one off.

wow, loesshillshawk, I normally agree with your posts but I gotta tell ya this one is just ridiculous.

lol...I'm glad I went to bed instead of posting on here after the game last night.

Assembly Hall to Indiana is like what Hilton is to Iowa State. It brings out the best in Indiana and the worst out of the opponents.

I get why some fans feel this way. They're still a Top 5 team and on track to win the Big 10. But you can't dismiss the fact that they've lost their last two games against a team with a pulse. Though those games were on the road.

wow, loesshillshawk, I normally agree with your posts but I gotta tell ya this one is just ridiculous.

loesshills is a good poster, he's been on here as long as I have. He posted what many of us were feeling after watching the game last night, I was muttering some of the same things towards the end of the game but I just didn't post them on here.

The good news is this loss at Indiana may wind up being Iowa's worst loss of the season.

He didn't disappear but he also didn't hit any shots down the stretch. :Looked like he was pressing at the end.

loesshills is a good poster, he's been on here as long as I have. He posted what many of us were feeling after watching the game last night, I was muttering some of the same things towards the end of the game but I just didn't post them on here.

The good news is this loss at Indiana may wind up being Iowa's worst loss of the season.

It will, and it won't even be that bad. Unless Indiana totally tanks, their RPI is going to shoot up as they play more quality opposition.

He had 20 attempts -- most within 10'. My grandma could get 24 points shooting 20 shots to go along with 6 FTs.

Agree with loess and ss; it's what I was trying to explain about Iowa vs "the lights". I'll admit emotional bias can skew perspective (certainly more so immediately after a loss) but, I think most long-timers here would agree with me, it just seems that when Iowa starts getting the hype, they tend to struggle to perform up to the billing and maintain that status.

It's not so much about "getting beat", it's about "losing" -- mostly, performing poorly on the bigger stages when there's nothing standing between them and opportunity but themselves. You have to agree, the Maryland and Indiana losses were uncharacteristically below their ability, skill and smarts, let alone, (what I think loess is saying), well below what would reasonably be expected of a top 5 team. I'm not saying they should have won (I am on record here, many times, saying I expected Iowa to lose at Indiana); I'm saying they should not have lost, that way.

Iowa lost; I get it; it happens a lot, to really good teams. I'm not miserable and certainly not cliff diving, just offering my long-time observations.

Anyway, I'm all in for a little hunting trip ... some gopher, some lion, some badger, gather up some nuts ... just what the Hawks (and myself) need. Then looking forward to exacting revenge on the Hoozshers, whatever the hell they are.

Oh, final note - the lights will be back on and I expect the Hawks to live up.

How was this game any bigger than winning at Purdue or Michigan State? It is disappointing I agree, but they ended up going 2-2 in their toughest road games on the year in the Big Ten. They have themselves set up pretty well going down the stretch

Agree with loess and ss; it's what I was trying to explain about Iowa vs "the lights". I'll admit emotional bias can skew perspective (certainly more so immediately after a loss) but, I think most long-timers here would agree with me, it just seems that when Iowa starts getting the hype, they tend to struggle to perform up to the billing and maintain that status.

It's not so much about "getting beat", it's about "losing" -- mostly, performing poorly on the bigger stages when there's nothing standing between them and opportunity but themselves. You have to agree, the Maryland and Indiana losses were uncharacteristically below their ability, skill and smarts, let alone, (what I think loess is saying), well below what would reasonably be expected of a top 5 team. I'm not saying they should have won (I am on record here, many times, saying I expected Iowa to lose at Indiana); I'm saying they should not have lost, that way.

Iowa lost; I get it; it happens a lot, to really good teams. I'm not miserable and certainly not cliff diving, just offering my long-time observations.

Anyway, I'm all in for a little hunting trip ... some gopher, some lion, some badger, gather up some nuts ... just what the Hawks (and myself) need. Then looking forward to exacting revenge on the Hoozshers, whatever the hell they are.

Oh, final note - the lights will be back on and I expect the Hawks to live up.

I agree with this as well I think. If Iowa threw their best punches and just got beat, it would be easy to live with, but they didnt play well. Indiana had something to do with that, but energy and effort for about 30 minutes wasnt very good.

This is an excellent Iowa team. They've only lost 2 games in 2 months. STEP OFF THE LEDGE! Now was the moment a little too big for the bench last night? Yes. Did Iowa get steamrolled at the start of the game? Yes. Will they destroy Minnesota on Sunday? Yes.

Our 2 biggest games of the year were the road games at Purdue and Michigan State IMO. Winning those 2 games set the table for what we have done in the conference thus far and for the probable Big 10 Championship yet to come.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400839294

Fairly even match between these 2 teams. The stats don't lie, missed opportunities at the line, 56.5% to 85.7%. They out rebounded us by 3.....The glaring stat that we don't see are the last second shots that fell....we shot 46%, they shot 46%, we shot better from behind the arc than Indiana, but they made 2 more 3's than we did....crazy game of twists and turns

I'll say wait til they come to Carver Arena, we'll stomp them into pieces like Iowa farmers with his Allis Chambers.