Preseason AP Poll

Respectfully I disagree. ISU Rutgers and Nevada all unranked aren't good enough wins to justify jumping that high coming from being unranked like we are. My guess if that happens is we could hop to 16-20. I mean there's a chance Iowa isn't rated when we go into that game. Now I doubt it I think we'll crack the top 25 with 4 wins but not by much. To jump much higher would require some others to lose and fall too. It's a big maybe

Iowa jumped from #18 to #7 after 4 weeks last season. Iowa had two top-20 wins in the first 4 (beat #17 Indiana at home, beat #9 ISU on the road). By week 4, there were 8 teams in the top-25 with at least 1 loss.

This year we start at #28, and beating those first 4 teams on the schedule will not impress people. If we stay unbeaten, we will rise due to attrition among the teams ahead of us. I think the 16-20 ranking seems pretty likely.

But we certainly can't just take those first 4 for granted. Aside from Nevada, those other 3 teams are more than capable of pulling the upset. Iowa has been good at handling their business as a favorite over the past 5 years, but we don't play with much margin for error.

A 5-0 hawk team with a win against Mich is a top 11 or 12 ranked team. I do not see this happening either.. If it does happen you better believe we take a 24-7 loss against Illinois the week after.

It will be worse than 24-7. It will be something like 11-10 where Bielema goes for a 2 point conversion with 19 seconds left or some shit.

Just strap in and get ready for a shit year, though. We've had a lot of bounces and breaks for the past several years. Those tend to come in 3 year spurts and then break the other way for awhile. This team is good enough to go 11-1, it's also bad enough to go 6-6.

If are QB hasn’t got his shit together this year, then all this talk is mute. I am hoping that he surprises and exceeds expectations and moves this offense.

I also would like to win the power ball or mega millions. Ok, maybe I exaggerate, but if he comes out and shows us the same that we have gotten the last two years, then it’s not going to be good.

We are all hopeless diehards, suffering through the hopelessness of a program that we want so much to finally break through and give the ten of thousands of loyal fans what they deserve.

Honestly I just don’t see it. I just don’t see the stars on this team this year for that to happen. It all begins and ends with the QB. If he has grown tons and takes a commanding role and carries this team on his shoulders, then maybe, just maybe. What are the odds???

3, 16, 24, 49, 50 power ball 8

Iowa jumped from #18 to #7 after 4 weeks last season. Iowa had two top-20 wins in the first 4 (beat #17 Indiana at home, beat #9 ISU on the road). By week 4, there were 8 teams in the top-25 with at least 1 loss.

This year we start at #28, and beating those first 4 teams on the schedule will not impress people. If we stay unbeaten, we will rise due to attrition among the teams ahead of us. I think the 16-20 ranking seems pretty likely.

But we certainly can't just take those first 4 for granted. Aside from Nevada, those other 3 teams are more than capable of pulling the upset. Iowa has been good at handling their business as a favorite over the past 5 years, but we don't play with much margin for error.
Totally agree. Our offense keeps other teams in games. Is our offense going to put up 25 plus points against any of those? If we can hit that # I'm confident our D can get us Ws. Being under that keeps other teams in games and anything can happen

It will be worse than 24-7. It will be something like 11-10 where Bielema goes for a 2 point conversion with 19 seconds left or some shit.

Just strap in and get ready for a shit year, though. We've had a lot of bounces and breaks for the past several years. Those tend to come in 3 year spurts and then break the other way for awhile. This team is good enough to go 11-1, it's also bad enough to go 6-6.
I'm not a kool-aid drinker or a skittle shitter, but one thing I've noticed is that the Iowa staff in interviews after camps/practices/workouts has been pretty cheery and optimistic like they know something we don't. Now, normally from position coaches that's expected, but we're hearing that stuff from KF and Phil The Great and that never usually happens. Those two guys are always super tempered in what they say and it honestly feels a little different so far this year.

One thing I do like is being unranked coming into the season. Polls are total horseshit, but they put down expectations for teams, and expectations are never, ever good for Hawkeye football. And I don't think the sellouts are a sign of expectations. Last year was the first year back after the plague and I think people had way more fun than they used to. Folks took being a football fan for granted and the vibe before and during games was just different. Don't get me wrong, fans are gonna want wins, but I don't think the ticket sales this year are because people expect wins. In the words of one Cyndi Lauper, fans just wanna have fun.

Yes, a team like Iowa is susceptible when they have a philosophy of playing close games to get to the 4th quarter, then try to win. Last year, Iowa's interceptions kept them in those games but they can't rely on that happening every year. Without those nation leading interceptions, which included 3 return TD's, Iowa is closer to a 7-5 team.

If are QB hasn’t got his shit together this year, then all this talk is mute. I am hoping that he surprises and exceeds expectations and moves this offense.

I also would like to win the power ball or mega millions. Ok, maybe I exaggerate, but if he comes out and shows us the same that we have gotten the last two years, then it’s not going to be good.

We are all hopeless diehards, suffering through the hopelessness of a program that we want so much to finally break through and give the ten of thousands of loyal fans what they deserve.

Honestly I just don’t see it. I just don’t see the stars on this team this year for that to happen. It all begins and ends with the QB. If he has grown tons and takes a commanding role and carries this team on his shoulders, then maybe, just maybe. What are the odds???

3, 16, 24, 49, 50 power ball 8
I'm gunna go to Casey's and get a ticket with the exact same numbers.

I'm not a kool-aid drinker or a skittle shitter, but one thing I've noticed is that the Iowa staff in interviews after camps/practices/workouts has been pretty cheery and optimistic like they know something we don't. Now, normally from position coaches that's expected, but we're hearing that stuff from KF and Phil The Great and that never usually happens. Those two guys are always super tempered in what they say and it honestly feels a little different so far this year.

One thing I do like is being unranked coming into the season. Polls are total horseshit, but they put down expectations for teams, and expectations are never, ever good for Hawkeye football. And I don't think the sellouts are a sign of expectations. Last year was the first year back after the plague and I think people had way more fun than they used to. Folks took being a football fan for granted and the vibe before and during games was just different. Don't get me wrong, fans are gonna want wins, but I don't think the ticket sales this year are because people expect wins. In the words of one Cyndi Lauper, fans just wanna have fun.

Guarantee me a healthy Keagan Johnson, and I am all in on the season. But I don't know how anyone can listen to recent interviews of Johnson or the coaches and be confident that will be the case.