Predictions for Iowa @ISU on Thursday

This is a really good ISU team in their house that just happens to be one of the toughest places to play in the country.

The only reason I think Iowa has a shot is bc if ISUs embarrassing pre-season schedule this far. This is their first real test. It's mismanagement by Freddie and won't help them tonight or later for that matter. Sure, their D has looked better but I would certainly hope it would considering who they have played.

Iowa has a shot only if they decide today is the day to hit the boards. They give the clowns second chance points, it's over. Need to rebound almost every missed 3 and even run it out for transition points. They will need to hit some 3s and limit ISUs good looks from 3. An effort like we saw in Mikwaukee will be required but with less good looks given from deep.

I just hope Iowa plays well. If both teams play their best game, the clowns win.

Certainly ISU hasn't had a tough non-con. It stinks, but that is just the way it shook out. I agree that this will be a good test for this team. I think that Colorado was a good non-con game for us though. I also think Illinois was a good non-con game for us as well as they got their starters back from injury for that tournament. Illinois could make some noise in the B1G should they mesh as a team. I would also agree that at times the cyclones just don't look like a top 5 team. That typically happens when they try to jack up a three early or drive a lane without moving the ball. When they move the ball, they look great. That wasn't the case against buffalo as there were a TON of bungled catches and poor passes into the post.

I disagree with the poster who said cyclone fans will go ape if we win. Really, the fanbase (or at least the non-homers) know that Iowa and ISU are on two different levels of competition in regards to basketball this season. It is widely accepted that @Cinncinatti is our toughest non-con game and best test. Gone are the days of relishing in beating Iowa in basketball. The target has moved from Hawkeye to Jayhawk. I think fans will be happy with a win, because a loss would be embarrassing. That isn't to say Iowa isn't good enough to beat us, but this team has no excuse to lose to Iowa at home with a top 5 ranking. If we are aboard the hype train, the train is expected to deliver. Now, if ISU were to lose, it wouldn't be the end of the season. It would just be a pain to listen to Hawk fans talk about beating us (much like ISU fans talked about beating Iowa in FB in 2002). That is especially true should this team have a deep run in March.

I will try to stop in again after work. Thanks for the discussion!

I disagree with the poster who said cyclone fans will go ape if we win. Really, the fanbase (or at least the non-homers) know that Iowa and ISU are on two different levels of competition in regards to basketball this season. It is widely accepted that @Cinncinatti is our toughest non-con game and best test. Gone are the days of relishing in beating Iowa in basketball. The target has moved from Hawkeye to Jayhawk.

Your posts are reasonable. But I know the reaction part to be false for most fans. My wife works with primarily ISU fans/grads...season ticket holders, etc. They will go ape. And most (not all) of them will feel compelled to search her out...being pretty much the only Hawk fan there. She gets frustrated anytime this happens because she doesn't say a word to them when Iowa beats Iowa State at football or basketball.

I think it's a slight...perhaps unintended...for you to suggest Iowa and Iowa State are on different levels this year. Iowa has 2 losses because they have played a tougher schedule. And it's still early in the season. Iowa is playing enough young guys that they will likely get better as the year progresses. I don't think this is true of Iowa State other than the fact that they will get more comfortable with their new coach...which I don't see making much of a difference with a veteran team.

Edit - Sagarin has Iowa State at 10th and Iowa at 11th...with Iowa State a 3 point favorite on a neutral floor. This hardly "two different levels." Cincinnati is ranked 21st. The only reason this may be perceived as a tougher game is because it's on the road. Both Cincinnati and Iowa would currently be favored by a point on their home courts against Iowa State.

Last edited:
Certainly ISU hasn't had a tough non-con. It stinks, but that is just the way it shook out. I agree that this will be a good test for this team. I think that Colorado was a good non-con game for us though. I also think Illinois was a good non-con game for us as well as they got their starters back from injury for that tournament. Illinois could make some noise in the B1G should they mesh as a team. I would also agree that at times the cyclones just don't look like a top 5 team. That typically happens when they try to jack up a three early or drive a lane without moving the ball. When they move the ball, they look great. That wasn't the case against buffalo as there were a TON of bungled catches and poor passes into the post.

I disagree with the poster who said cyclone fans will go ape if we win. Really, the fanbase (or at least the non-homers) know that Iowa and ISU are on two different levels of competition in regards to basketball this season. It is widely accepted that @Cinncinatti is our toughest non-con game and best test. Gone are the days of relishing in beating Iowa in basketball. The target has moved from Hawkeye to Jayhawk. I think fans will be happy with a win, because a loss would be embarrassing. That isn't to say Iowa isn't good enough to beat us, but this team has no excuse to lose to Iowa at home with a top 5 ranking. If we are aboard the hype train, the train is expected to deliver. Now, if ISU were to lose, it wouldn't be the end of the season. It would just be a pain to listen to Hawk fans talk about beating us (much like ISU fans talked about beating Iowa in FB in 2002). That is especially true should this team have a deep run in March.

I will try to stop in again after work. Thanks for the discussion!

I'm sure the students line up for days in advance for teams other than Iowa and Kansas right??? It is a HUGE game for ISU, it has always been ISU #SuperBowl, and always will be. Only Kansas rivals Iowa for ISU.

CV5Yk-dWcAIGfey.jpg:large

Come on Simoson4Cy. ISU is a better team this year and was the previous 3 years but different levels is a stretch. Finishing second in the Big 12 vs 3rd in last year a MUCH stronger B1G (2/8 in the elite 8 and a runner-up) is hardly a different level. Iowa won an NCCA tourney game last year, too. Hawks have had a player drafted 2 years in a row. I know since Iowa is on a different level on the gridiron, Clones would love to have that distinction in hoops but it just doesn't. There are 3 good D1 basketball teams in Iowa. Hope to see a competitive game tonight.

I'm sure the students line up for days in advance for teams other than Iowa and Kansas right??? It is a HUGE game for ISU, it has always been ISU #SuperBowl, and always will be. Only Kansas rivals Iowa for ISU.

CV5Yk-dWcAIGfey.jpg:large

ISU students line up hours in advance for multiple ranked big 12 games. I bet there is a large line, perhaps even camping, for the OU game as OU will be a huge game for us this year, a potential top 10 showdown. I never meant to say that the game didn't matter or didn't mean anything to us fans. But to think that this game means more than ANY other game this season is silly. I would rank it maybe 3rd most important home game to the fanbase before post season play.

I apologize for *** hat fans. Every fanbase has them, and they are embarrassing. I imagine that ISU fans throw it in Iowa fans faces because we get so much garbage from Iowa fans and Iowa fans throw it in ISU fans face because they get so much garbage from ISU fans. It is a vicious circle, but lets not pretend that our own fanbase is innocent of wrong doing. Both can suck at times. I should also say that ISU fans will probably be more obnoxious this year because of all the attention the Iowa fb team has gotten. It's stupid, but true. I will say though, I get along with most Iowa fans pretty well. I do not like Kansas fans. The sense of entitlement is gag-worthy.

In response to the potential slight, it really isn't meant that way. ISU is predicted, and believed, to be a final four team. When an unranked Iowa team comes into Hilton to play a top 5 ISU team, they shouldn't lose. I understand it is college bb and crazy things happen. But to look at this game and say that Iowa has a good chance of winning is a little off in my opinion. There certainly is a chance (I would say 10-15%), but it would be embarrassing for the team and fanbase as the expectations are so high. It would be as embarrassing as ISU losing to Baylor last year at home, but slightly worse because of it coming from an in-state rival. The ISU MBB organization wants to elevate itself to compete with Kansas for B12 titles and all of CBB for the national title. National Title teams, and B12 championship teams very rarely lose at home. Let alone to an unranked in-state rival that the team should be awake and ready for. That is all I meant by it, not that Iowa isn't a good team; they are. I just think ISU is a great team. Great teams don't lose at home to good teams very often.

I will give it to you though, Iowa is better than given credit for. They beat FSU, an extremely talented group of individuals but not a great team yet. WSU isn't very good without Van Vleet. This will end up being a great win for Iowa as WSU has been over hyped the last couple of years in my opinion. I am not a big believer in Marquette either, but who knows. Iowa's two losses are far from bad. In fact, they may end up being good losses as Dayton and Notre Dame have been consistent tournament teams for awhile. I think Iowa has the potential to be a top 25 team, and certainly should be a tournament team come March. I don't meant to disrespect the program, I only meant to show the confidence in my own team. By different levels I mean top ten vs top thirty to clarify. Perhaps that was a poor choice of words, and I hope I have clarified that.

Last edited:
Your posts are reasonable. But I know the reaction part to be false for most fans. My wife works with primarily ISU fans/grads...season ticket holders, etc. They will go ape. And most (not all) of them will feel compelled to search her out...being pretty much the only Hawk fan there. She gets frustrated anytime this happens because she doesn't say a word to them when Iowa beats Iowa State at football or basketball.

I think it's a slight...perhaps unintended...for you to suggest Iowa and Iowa State are on different levels this year. Iowa has 2 losses because they have played a tougher schedule. And it's still early in the season. Iowa is playing enough young guys that they will likely get better as the year progresses. I don't think this is true of Iowa State other than the fact that they will get more comfortable with their new coach...which I don't see making much of a difference with a veteran team.

Edit - Sagarin has Iowa State at 10th and Iowa at 11th...with Iowa State a 3 point favorite on a neutral floor. This hardly "two different levels." Cincinnati is ranked 21st. The only reason this may be perceived as a tougher game is because it's on the road. Both Cincinnati and Iowa would currently be favored by a point on their home courts against Iowa State.

ISU adds Burton in December and from the sounds of it, he is going to be a monster driving the lane. I have seen some highlights and the guy is built like a dumpster but jumps and just soars. He will add another dimension for this team come December. Thomas is being widely ignored outside the ISU fanbase, but imo is easily the most improved and best man off the bench. He does everything. And Halice Cooke is another added piece that has turned out to be a great addition at the guard spot. Incredibly scrappy on defense, and has a beautiful outside shot. I would like to see him develop some more shots in the lane similar to Morris' floater. I think it should also be noted that the focus for the large part of this season thus far has been on defense. It is odd that ISU isn't the offensive machine it was a year ago. Sure there will be sacrifice on the offensive side to build up the defensive side, but I think once we get into conference play we will see a better focus on scoring.

This is all speculation. Perhaps my Cardinal and Gold sunglasses are showing. I am sure I have a bit of a bias to me, but I try to be somewhat reasonable. Thanks for the great talking points. I enjoy discussing things and seeing them from a different perspective. I get tired of the circle jerk that is sports forums sometimes.

Last edited:
Simpson, there is no doubt that ISU is talented, and honestly if you don't nab a top 2 seed, and get to the elite 8, the season is going to feel like a disappointment. That is just the way it is when you have Da Mayor telling everyone this is a Final 4 or even National Championship team.

There is no doubt the ISU fans show up for BB games, but there isn't a team they want to beat more than Iowa and Kansas. Lets face it, 95% of ISU fans would rather drop a game to Oklahoma because they don't have to deal with Okie fan, but they do have to deal with Iowa fans. I don't think this fan base could live with the fact that Iowa went deeper in the tourney last year AND beat ISU at Hilton.......

Simpson, there is no doubt that ISU is talented, and honestly if you don't nab a top 2 seed, and get to the elite 8, the season is going to feel like a disappointment. That is just the way it is when you have Da Mayor telling everyone this is a Final 4 or even National Championship team.

There is no doubt the ISU fans show up for BB games, but there isn't a team they want to beat more than Iowa and Kansas. Lets face it, 95% of ISU fans would rather drop a game to Oklahoma because they don't have to deal with Okie fan, but they do have to deal with Iowa fans. I don't think this fan base could live with the fact that Iowa went deeper in the tourney last year AND beat ISU at Hilton.......

I completely agree with your assessment of what is required for this year to be felt as a success. I would change the elite 8 to sweet 16 because March Madness is just that, madness. The best team rarely wins. It would be a HUGE disappointment for a first weekend exit again. I expect this team to make the sweet 16. I am happy to make the elite 8. Elated to make the final four. And beyond words to see the national championship game. That is because I, as a rational fan, know how finicky the NCAAs are.

Iowa went deeper in the tournament indeed. The worst part was hearing the **** from all the Iowa fans. It sucked. Just like hearing about a loss at Hilton would suck tomorrow. I would trade a win against Iowa for a win against OU any day of the week. Because OU is a legit top 5 team. I can't speak on behalf of the ISU fanbase, and I should stop trying to. The more you say it, the more I can see how much this game means to some people. So I stand corrected. Our fan base can be obnoxious and stupid, but let's be real and realize how much your fan base would relish in beating ISU. Let's also realize how much **** your fan base would talk should they beat ISU tonight. So I think it is a fairly even split.

Like minded people tend to associate together, and that is why I don't usually watch or cheer for ISU with homers. It's annoying. But I can tell you how I and those I associate with feel about it. Iowa is the 3rd most important game for me this year. It really doesn't even compare to Kansas at home. God I ******* hate Kansas.

Last edited:
Im impressed and here to give credit where credit is due. Uthoff looks great. Hope we find an answer for him in the second half.
We are playing super sloppy and that isnt helping. Great looking play by Iowa so far.

Iowa is the 3rd most important game for me this year. It really doesn't even compare to Kansas at home. God I ******* hate Kansas.

Well the 15,000 at Hilton disagree, this is obviously ISU's #SuperBowl. I mean storm the court as the #4 team vs an unrated team.....#SuperBowl

Latest posts