Prediction Reshuffle: Do You Feel Differently about 2013?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The Iowa Hawkeyes have finished their non-conference portion of the season at 3-1. I think that's a number a lot of fans and prognosticators believed this team would be sitting on through four games.

That said, how they have gotten there and what they have shown may be different than what some expected. I'll take a look at each of Iowa's remaining eight opponents, list what I picked them to do against that opponent in the preseason and what I believe we'll see now based on what we've seen these first four weeks.

at MINNESOTA Preseason Prediction = WIN: The Gophers are off to a 4-0 start against a softer schedule than Iowa has played. They are running the ball well this year and it's probably the best Minnesota team since Glen Mason was there. That said, they have holes and I think Iowa has a better team than they do. Jake Rudock showed moxie at Iowa State, though the Gophers are much better than the Cyclones. There might be more Iowa fans at this game than there were for the game in Ames but this stadium doesn't get as loud as Jack Trice Stadium does. Freshman Mitch Leidner will likely go at quarterback as the Gophers rest Philip Nelson one more week (hamstring). Leidner set a quarterback rushing record this week for the Gophers but he is not the throwing threat Nelson is, and Nelson started the final seven games of last season in addition to being the starter this year. That might be a good break for the Hawkeyes and I will stay with a WIN here.

MICHIGAN STATE Preseasn Prediction = WIN: The Spartans have a bye week in advance of their trip to Kinnick. I think it comes at a good time for them as their quarterback situation is still pretty brutal and certainly undecided. Their defense is still very good and I think this game will be first one to 20 wins...if anyone gets there. I still like Iowa in this one as their running game leaves a lot to be desired, too.

at OHIO STATE Preseason Prediction = LOSS: Still thinking this one is a loss and one that could get ugly.

NORTHWESTERN Preseason Prediction = LOSS: I gave Iowa a better chance of beating Wisconsin than Northwestern due to stylistic reasons. I still feel that way but also think Iowa could beat them both. Still, I think it's going to come down to a split in these two games and I think the odds of beating Wisconsin are better due to how Iowa plays power football better than finesse ball.

WISCONSIN Preseason Prediction = WIN: Staying with a win

at PURDUE Preseason Prediction = LOSS: The Boilermakers are worse than I expected them to be and while they may be a better team come November, I feel better about Iowa's chance than before and thinks the Hawks win this game.

MICHIGAN Preseason Prediction = LOSS: Michigan's last two weeks have given a lot of people more optimism against them in Big Ten play, and Iowa fans should feel the same. The Hawkeyes have won three of their last four against Michigan in Kinnick and three of last four in the series. I'll still slide towards a loss here but I think Iowa has a shot.

at NEBRASKA Preseason Prediction = LOSS: Wyoming had over 600 yards against Nebraska in Lincoln. UCLA scored 38 unanswered points in Lincoln. The Huskers are hardly world beaters but it's a very tough road game and I won't change this pick.

I feel much better about a 7-5 record right now than I did before the season and even two weeks ago. The Purdue game is the only one where I will change my preseason pick.

What about you? Is this team ahead of where you thought they would be? Behind? About right?

I think Wisky is the make or break game, that won't be an easy one. I never expect a win at Lincoln, but it's definitely feasible, especially if they have given up on their season by then.

I actually thought Iowa would be 4-0 at this point. The difference after watching the rest of the big 10, outside at Ohio st, Iowa has a decent chance to win every other game on the schedule. Will they? That's a different story.

i said 8-4 before the season and i'm sticking with it

I don't feel better or worse. Iowa has not played a team that matched them in talent. They played three horrible teams and only blew out one. The team that had a d-line that was outweighed by Iowa's O-Line by 40 pounds per man, beat them.

I dont remember what I said before the season but after the NIU game I predicted Iowa to be 5-1 heading into Columbus and finish 7-5 (4-4) and I am still going with that. IMO, 8-4 is more likely than 6-6 right now.

@Minny- W
MSU- W
@OSU- L
NU- L
Wisky-W
@Purdue-W
Michigan-L
@Nebby- L

B1G teams are pretty much done with non-conference games. I feel much better about the games against NU, Michigan and Nebraska now than I did at the beginning of the year. Especially with 2 of those games being played in Kinnick.

I'm beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Still concerned about our O-line and secondary.
I predicted 3-9 at the beginning of the season. If I could have a redo I would probably go with 5-7
Minnesota: Win Gophers passing game is a weakness. They won't move the ball on the ground consistently enough to win.
Michigan State: Loss This will be a low scoring defensive battle.
Purdue: win The only sure win I see the rest of the way.
Sorry. I'm a pessimist.

I actually thought Iowa would be 4-0 at this point. The difference after watching the rest of the big 10, outside at Ohio st, Iowa has a decent chance to win every other game on the schedule. Will they? That's a different story.

I too thought Iowa would be 4-0 at this point. The Big Ten is not good, but KF has proven more than capable to losing to bad teams.

I don't feel better or worse. Iowa has not played a team that matched them in talent. They played three horrible teams and only blew out one. The team that had a d-line that was outweighed by Iowa's O-Line by 40 pounds per man, beat them.

there a reason you quoted me?

I said 5-7 before the season. The team looked better than I expected versus NIU, but since they lost, I thought my prediction would still be accurate. I'll stick with it.

There's talent on the team, but the way the schedule stacks up, the teams we can beat are on the road. With a young team, I think we may drop a dud or two on the road. And we may play well at home, but be overmatched on talent. Staying on 5-7, imo.

I don't think Iowa can get Wisconsin. I just don't see it yet. But a side note, how great would it be to have Melvin Gordon in black and gold right now.

I don't understand why some of you have predicted losing records still. I mean we have the Jake Rudock now instead of the one in week one, we beat NIU. Iowa has grown a lot over the past few games and I think this team is more then capable of finishing 8-4. If we control the battle up front and Rudock stays away from the turnover bug, 8-4 is very likely IMO.

My preseason prediction was 6-6. After Mo. State, I thought we would be lucky to repeat our 4-8 performance from last year. Now, I'm back to 6-6. Maybe I overacted a little :rolleyes:

I don't think Iowa can get Wisconsin. I just don't see it yet. But a side note, how great would it be to have Melvin Gordon in black and gold right now.
No disrespect to the Hammer but if Melvin was the Iowa running back, I might be predicting 8-4. He's pretty impressive.

Wisconsin has played 1 team with a pulse and theyre 0-1. I dont care about the fg at the end, UW was very fortunate to even be in that position at the end with the way they were handled in the 2nd half. Iowa beats Wisconsin because Joel Stave will be forced to win the game and I dont see that happening.

I am a bit more optimistic than most. I was thinking 7-5 or 8-4 anyways. I might say 8-4 or 9-3 at this point. I think every game from here on out is winnable. I'm not saying that we will run the table by any means. I simply believe that Iowa has a chance to win every remaining game. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this year's team is much better than last year's. Every other team looks more beatable with every passing week (except maybe OSU).

I still feel that we even have a shot at beating OSU. We have a bye the week before (so does OSU) and it is OSU's homecoming game. I think we might catch them sleeping; especially if they beat Wisconsin and Northwestern going into their bye week. This would be a great time to sucker punch OSU in the mouth.

Latest posts