Predict the B1G final standings - simulator

Another tie for 3rd with a 5 seed. That would suck to win out and only get the 5.
Well...it wouldn’t actually suck IMO.

10 game winning streak.
9-5 in Quad 1 games.
7-3 on the road.
3-0 on neutral courts.
No worse than 6-2 in games decided by less than 10 points.
2 or 3 seed in NCAA
2 games in DSM
Sweet 16 Probable

I’ll take it now if it’s offered.

Not sure I really understand what this is saying but looks like Iowa would own a tiebreaker against the Badgers if they tie and Iowa wins in Madison. Lot of ifs there but...

4. Iowa (14 - 6) Defeated Wisconsin based on record against #2 teams.
5. Wisconsin (14 - 6) Lost to Iowa based on record against #2 teams.

Not sure I really understand what this is saying but looks like Iowa would own a tiebreaker against the Badgers if they tie and Iowa wins in Madison. Lot of ifs there but...

As long as MI finishes ahead of MSU and we win at WI and it’s only the 2 of us tied we have the tiebreaker.

The tiebreaker is starting with record vs number 1 team and going down the line to number 2, 3, 4 and so on until one of the teams has a better winning percentage. If Purdue is number 1, both Wisconsin and Iowa lost to them. If Michigan is number 2, Wisconsin is .500 against them and Iowa is 1.00 against them. We get the tiebreaked.

I really, really want Wisconsin to tank this year. I would love for them to not get a top 4 finish, even if it's not iowa that gets it in their place. So tired of that "finishing in the top 4" stat.
We win in Madison and your chances of getting your wish go up tremendously.

No reason to go overboard, stick with the 12. Your optimism may finally pay off.
My game by game evaluation has us losing at Wisconsin. We could lose to Maryland or Ohio State but shouldn’t. Some call it optimism. I call it an objective analysis of each game. And I’m not assuming this team will lose games it should win just because things didn’t end well in past seasons when things looked promising. These guys weren’t on those teams.

I just ran 2 simulations. I had Iowa winning out in the 1st one and they were the 3 seed.

Then I ran it again with everything the same except Iowa losing at Wisconsin. We were the 4 seed...tied with MD and MI but have the tiebreaker on both.

Edit - Was it realistic? I had MI splitting with MSU and MD and losing at MN. I had MD splitting with MI and losing at Iowa.

I really, really want Wisconsin to tank this year. I would love for them to not get a top 4 finish, even if it's not iowa that gets it in their place. So tired of that "finishing in the top 4" stat.
They didn’t make the tournament last year and definitely weren’t in the top 4 of the B1G.

After seeing Michigan and Purdue go down last night I am resisting the urge to create scenarios with this simulator where Iowa could win the regular season BTT.

Its really not that crazy of a possibility if we go undefeated (which makes it a crazy possibility). But I think the odds are really good that Michigan ends up with 5 losses. I'd say there is a pretty good chance that MSU gets to 5. The problem is Purdue. Their 2nd most loseable game is at Nebraska. They probably end up with 4 losses. Boy would we be cussing the officials for handing them the game against Penn State.

After seeing Michigan and Purdue go down last night I am resisting the urge to create scenarios with this simulator where Iowa could win the regular season BTT.

Miller tweeted last night that if Iowa wins at Rutgers on Saturday the worse they will place is tied for 4th - can anyone confirm that? Seems shocking that we'd know that with 7 games left.

Miller tweeted last night that if Iowa wins at Rutgers on Saturday the worse they will place is tied for 4th - can anyone confirm that? Seems shocking that we'd know that with 7 games left.

That's not true at all. If we lose the other 6 games we would probably finish 8th or so.

totally what I thought - that must be in his own projection.

I believe his tweet was saying if they win at Rutgers and beat Maryland at home, the worst standing in the conference they could have at that time would be tied for 4th. Which is actually still wrong because Maryland has played one extra game and both Iowa and Maryland play 2 games in the span he's referencing. So even if Maryland loses to Iowa, they could be ahead of them by a half a game if they beat Michigan Saturday. Wiscy only plays once in that span.

So the worst Iowa could be right after winning the next 2 would be tied for 5th. The best they could be is tied for 3rd if Purdue loses two in that span.

Last edited:
I believe his tweet was saying if they win at Rutgers and beat Maryland at home, the worst standing in the conference they could have at that time would be tied for 4th. Which is actually still wrong because Maryland has played one extra game and both Iowa and Maryland play 2 games in the span he's referencing. So even if Maryland loses to Iowa, they could be ahead of them by a half a game if they beat Michigan Saturday. Wiscy only plays once in that span.

So the worst Iowa could be right after winning the next 2 would be tied for 5th. The best they could be is tied for 3rd if Purdue loses two in that span.

it sounded like bad math any way you sliced it, but the fact remains Iowa is in a great position.

Its really not that crazy of a possibility if we go undefeated (which makes it a crazy possibility). But I think the odds are really good that Michigan ends up with 5 losses. I'd say there is a pretty good chance that MSU gets to 5. The problem is Purdue. Their 2nd most loseable game is at Nebraska. They probably end up with 4 losses. Boy would we be cussing the officials for handing them the game against Penn State.
If This were to happen...and MI has 5 losses...just remember the officials pretty much handed the game to PSU last night. I’m not just talking about the ejection. There was a horrible missed double dribble on PSU late. Horrible.

Latest posts