Post season streaming TV assessment

I still have cable from my local provider. Been wanting to switch to streaming for awhile but there are so damned many options I'm afraid to pull the trigger and get it wrong.

Looked into YouTube TV a few times. Can anyone tell me why YouTube TV is only available in certain markets?

I still have cable from my local provider. Been wanting to switch to streaming for awhile but there are so damned many options I'm afraid to pull the trigger and get it wrong.

Looked into YouTube TV a few times. Can anyone tell me why YouTube TV is only available in certain markets?

I know YouTube and PSVue have free trials that I did before I did both. YOu can run that and still keep your cable to see if you like it. You just do a different input on your TV.

For disclosure, I have 75M down and 3M up. If your internet is on the slow side or gets unreliable at times, ymmv. Hulu live includes 2 devices at a time; my son and I can both watch HD, 60fps broadcasts at the same time without a hiccup at 75M down and my WiFi manager shows that while doing that, we’re only using 20-25M.

I've never heard of " fps " explain that. Where and how is it disclosed?

100% satisfied with Hulu live.

I would never, ever go back to dish or cable. Especially since it’s $40 a month with no tax or bullshit nickel and dime fees. Straight up $39.99 auto debited.

Instead of having to use the ESPN app on my Roku to find out of market games, the Hulu channel guide just adds ten or twelve different ESPN "channels" to the guide and you select which one you want to watch. For example, if you were, say, an SMU fan and your game wasn't on in your market, you'd normally have to switch to the ESPN app to watch it. Hulu Live avoids that by just listing all the games available, which is a shit ton. When football is over for the day it goes back to just listing the main ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, and ESPN News channels.

Same thing with BTN and Fox channels. If Penn State is playing on your normal BTN channel but the Hawks are the alternate, it lists them both so you don't have to switch over to the BTN app.

Able to watch all games on my phone on one app, don’t need all the network-specific apps. Can also DVR from my phone in case I’m out of the house and forget.

Has the SEC Network which, I don’t care what anyone says, has the best non-game shows about their sports, period. It also adds another option for games that you can’t normally see if you’re interested in them.

Also get all the local Sioux City and Sioux Falls channels.

Last but not least, and the most important thing for me, it supports 60 fps. Anyone who has ever watched any kind of sports at 30 fps knows exactly what I mean. It's completely unwatchable. Hulu live's channels are all 60 fps for sports.

Of course Dish and DTV does a lot of this stuff, but it’s sure as hell not $40 a month, free of contract, free of equipment, and free of equipment fees. My internet also doesn't go wonky or go out altogether during bad weather.

For disclosure, I have 75M down and 3M up. If your internet is on the slow side or gets unreliable at times, ymmv. Hulu live includes 2 devices at a time; my son and I can both watch HD, 60fps broadcasts at the same time without a hiccup at 75M down and my WiFi manager shows that while doing that, we’re only using 20-25M.

So how do you get your local channels? Only with Hulu LIVE?

I've never heard of " fps " explain that. Where and how is it disclosed?
Frames per second.

30 FPS looks choppy, almost like watching sports with a strobe light on.

60 FPS is silky smooth.

It’s not really disclosed anywhere, you’ll know exactly when you see it though.

:cool:
100% satisfied with Hulu live.

I would never, ever go back to dish or cable. Especially since it’s $40 a month with no tax or bullshit nickel and dime fees. Straight up $39.99 auto debited.

Instead of having to use the ESPN app on my Roku to find out of market games, the Hulu channel guide just adds ten or twelve different ESPN "channels" to the guide and you select which one you want to watch. For example, if you were, say, an SMU fan and your game wasn't on in your market, you'd normally have to switch to the ESPN app to watch it. Hulu Live avoids that by just listing all the games available, which is a shit ton. When football is over for the day it goes back to just listing the main ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, and ESPN News channels.

Same thing with BTN and Fox channels. If Penn State is playing on your normal BTN channel but the Hawks are the alternate, it lists them both so you don't have to switch over to the BTN app.

Able to watch all games on my phone on one app, don’t need all the network-specific apps. Can also DVR from my phone in case I’m out of the house and forget.

Has the SEC Network which, I don’t care what anyone says, has the best non-game shows about their sports, period. It also adds another option for games that you can’t normally see if you’re interested in them.

Also get all the local Sioux City and Sioux Falls channels.

Last but not least, and the most important thing for me, it supports 60 fps. Anyone who has ever watched any kind of sports at 30 fps knows exactly what I mean. It's completely unwatchable. Hulu live's channels are all 60 fps for sports.

Of course Dish and DTV does a lot of this stuff, but it’s sure as hell not $40 a month, free of contract, free of equipment, and free of equipment fees. My internet also doesn't go wonky or go out altogether during bad weather.

Hulu does have the advantage of all the available games on ESPN and BTN. Youtube TV doesn't, but they also have the DVR function. Having DVR is a nice bonus.....

Never going back to cable. I called them to tell them that I couldn't afford the service anymore. Said that I wanted to drop the telephone service and I was told that it would cost more if I dropped the phone because it was part of the bundle. The telephone service on Mediacom was the absolute worst, Telemarketers calling early in the morning, late at night and all day on Sundays.....

Mediacom rep looked at my bill and told me they could take ten dollars off the bill. Told them I was done, and when the month was over, I would be going to a streaming service.....

Once a month I get mail from Mediacom offering me all three services for $90 a month or less for a year, along with the offer of a $100 gift card to use at my convenience.....

No dice, Mediacom.....

Good to be going to the Outback. We should have another win against Florida there. Highway Robbery by the worst zebras in history took the game away.....

Makes me even more pleased that we beat the living shite out of Urban's Buckeyes last season.....

:cool:

As many have said in this thread the game is rapidly changing. As far back as the 1960s predictions made that focused on a la carte purchasing.
My wife and I sat down years ago and I said "do we really need a land line?" and she said "do we really need cable?"
So we got rid of both. Cable/Satellite are heavily regulated and they like it that way. Regulations don't foster competition, they usually restrict it. The internet has created what the cable companies promised but never delivered: a la carte consumption.
And now a journey into the past so we can visit the future.

After researching further on Hulu Live, it looks like because of where I live (northern Iowa) I only get a handful of channels live. BTN and ESPN not being among them. I don't understand why geography has anything to do with it if this is a web based service?:(

Researching DTV Now. Looks like they
After researching further on Hulu Live, it looks like because of where I live (northern Iowa) I only get a handful of channels live. BTN and ESPN not being among them. I don't understand why geography has anything to do with it if this is a web based service?:(
I've decided to try Hulu Live's free trial. For whatever reason, I'm getting far more live channels than their website said I would get.
I'm getting BTN, several ESPN's, and Golf channel, among others.
The stream is about 10-12 seconds behind my cable broadcast, but that makes no difference to me.
Also tried streaming on a couple different devices simultaneously with no issues. Now the real test will be when my son gets home from school and starts online gaming. But I got a feeling it will be ok.
Thanks everyone on this thread for all the help. If I do indeed cut the cable, I'll be saving about $60 month.

Researching DTV Now. Looks like they

I've decided to try Hulu Live's free trial. For whatever reason, I'm getting far more live channels than their website said I would get.
I'm getting BTN, several ESPN's, and Golf channel, among others.
The stream is about 10-12 seconds behind my cable broadcast, but that makes no difference to me.
Also tried streaming on a couple different devices simultaneously with no issues. Now the real test will be when my son gets home from school and starts online gaming. But I got a feeling it will be ok.
Thanks everyone on this thread for all the help. If I do indeed cut the cable, I'll be saving about $60 month.

My kids are always on that Fortnight and I can say I haven't noticed a thing. Good luck. Now look at all your receivers, cable and equipment and image it all gone and out of the way!

I live in South America and just about all of these options are not available. For several years I have been watching with firstrowsports, wiziwig, etc.

Latest posts