Post PSU thoughts

This was one of my favorite meets ever. Brands and Co are working on getting them to peak and i can't wait to see it happen. NCAA's are going to be electric

I had some questions about David Taylors riding tactics. I think DT is a great wrestler and has a very good chance of beating Dake in a match because he is, imho, the better rider. However, I am not entirely sure why the way he rides does not get a stall call against him. He seems to ride parallel to his opponents with his legs on the back of his opponents thighs. This seems to be a very difficult ride to get up from, particularly since he is a good tilter. Thus if you turn your hips to try and move his legs off, he goes with it and gets a quick tilt. He looks active on top, but if you just sat under him, would he get called for stalling or you? Any thoughts on how to counter this style of ride?

I had some questions about David Taylors riding tactics. I think DT is a great wrestler and has a very good chance of beating Dake in a match because he is, imho, the better rider. However, I am not entirely sure why the way he rides does not get a stall call against him. He seems to ride parallel to his opponents with his legs on the back of his opponents thighs. This seems to be a very difficult ride to get up from, particularly since he is a good tilter. Thus if you turn your hips to try and move his legs off, he goes with it and gets a quick tilt. He looks active on top, but if you just sat under him, would he get called for stalling or you? Any thoughts on how to counter this style of ride?

Good post. While watching this one back on tv last night I was thinking along the same lines. Taylor has found a niche that is darn near unstoppable becuase he is so good with the tilts. How do you beat it? Not sure, you just can't get flattened out. The only person we can really ask is Dake. Let me know what he says!

Cael, Brands, Gable, John Smith, Dake, and others like Hebert

those two COULD be great if they continue on the path they SEEM headed for - but they are not great now - they are good wrestlers that may win a NC that is it for now! If taylor or ruth does not win the NC this season do you consider them great? I think a ***** slap to taylor by Dake will change your mind - also the reverse may change mine. but until then - they are not great .....

I think Ruth won his title match last year, like 13-2.
No one will beat him this year.
Barring injury, Ruth is a sure bet to win another title, and he will not have a close match.

Dake is a great wrestler. Taylor is right there with him.

I'm right there with you. It seems Taylor just waits on top for the bottom man to attempt to build a base and then attacks in the intermediate postion where the bottom man hasn't yet made it back to base but isn't flattened out either. He waits on top for the bottom man to make himself vulnerable.

If the bottom man just stayed flat and Taylor just sat there in a parallel ride without doing anything, shouldn't Taylor get the stall? Imo, he's the "offensive" wrestler so the onus is on him to drive the action. He should not get to simply wait on top in the parallel position and play the reaction game.

I've said this since he was a fresh, but it's part of the new age style of wrestling. Ruth does the same thing with his cradles. The refs allow it to happen... If the top guy does not force the action and the bottom guy lays on his belly, both should get the stall call. BUT it's easier for the top guy to appear to be forcing action,when he really is not, like half chops on the arm, etc... It's a shame but this is wrestling nowadays. PSU is a very reactionary wrestling team

True, both should be called.

I would limit this critique to Taylor's mat wrestling though. He and Ruth both definitely force the action on their feet.

I've said this since he was a fresh, but it's part of the new age style of wrestling. Ruth does the same thing with his cradles. The refs allow it to happen... If the top guy does not force the action and the bottom guy lays on his belly, both should get the stall call. BUT it's easier for the top guy to appear to be forcing action,when he really is not, like half chops on the arm, etc... It's a shame but this is wrestling nowadays. PSU is a very reactionary wrestling team

I don't agree with this at all. I think PSU attacks as much or more than any other college team right now.

I wouldn't call what DT and Ruth do stalling at all. it's just a different style than being out to the side cranking w/ an arm bar. They are attacking just as much w/ their style. The back points they score proves this. Many iowa fans i was sitting next to were hollering about DT 'getting to the side.' as long as you're working to turn a guy on top you don't have to come to the side. He was working for back points, Nick moore would agree.

Look folks, sure they're PSU, and we're not allowed to like them, but the thought of DT and Ruth stalling on top is ridiculous. It's been said time and time again, that it is very difficult to pin/turn a D1 wrestler when his only goal is to not win but not get pinned. DT and Ruth's ability to be able to wait for the tiniest mistake and take full advantage of it should be admired, just my opinion.

I don't agree with this at all. I think PSU attacks as much or more than any other college team right now.

I wouldn't call what DT and Ruth do stalling at all. it's just a different style than being out to the side cranking w/ an arm bar. They are attacking just as much w/ their style. The back points they score proves this. Many iowa fans i was sitting next to were hollering about DT 'getting to the side.' as long as you're working to turn a guy on top you don't have to come to the side. He was working for back points, Nick moore would agree.

He was working by waiting for Moore to try to build a base. Like I said, he wasn't forcing the action, he was reacting to what Moore was doing.

Stalling is when you are not working to improve your position. Sitting in top straddling the other guy, waiting for him to make a mistake is not improving your position, imo.

Look folks, sure they're PSU, and we're not allowed to like them, but the thought of DT and Ruth stalling on top is ridiculous. It's been said time and time again, that it is very difficult to pin/turn a D1 wrestler when his only goal is to not win but not get pinned. DT and Ruth's ability to be able to wait for the tiniest mistake and take full advantage of it should be admired, just my opinion.

Just talking about DT; not talking about Ruth at all. And even the conversation about DT is strictly limited to the instances where he just was sitting on top, straddling Moore, waiting for a mistake. At other times, he definitely was working up there, but the part where he just sits there waiting for a mistake is stalling imo.

It's far from stalling and I think if Taylor thought he was close to getting the stale call he would simply just release them. He is trying to make his opponents make a mistake and if they choose down they are already making the first mistake.

This ride is a growing trend

Bring on the BIG10s - and let's get ready to rumble. OSU, MInny, Iowa, and PSU (and ILL) are primed now! talk it up boys - it is all fun for us fans - after watching Evans winning, and Ballweg too, and Burak and Moore looking like they can really compete when confidence builds - i'm liking iowa's chances in the B10s.

right on CRlight

As for Evans - he has more work to do before the b10s - IL and NE guys are good.

As for Ruth and Taylor - they both are good and likely in the NC finals - but they are not "great" by any means.

Ruth and Taylor aren't great. They're phenoms. Two of the most exciting wrestlers I've seen, and they both make wrestling look so easy. You just don't see anything like it.

Watching Taylor dismantle other wrestlers does make you appreciate Dake even more.

Ruth and Taylor aren't great. They're phenoms. Two of the most exciting wrestlers I've seen, and they both make wrestling look so easy. You just don't see anything like it.

Watching Taylor dismantle other wrestlers does make you appreciate Dake even more.

I've been following college wrestling since the mid-70s and can count on one hand the wrestlers who have dominated in an exciting and skillful way like Taylor. His talent is incredible. Number of championships is not necessarily an indicator of greatness (e.g. Pat Smith).

I think Dake will beat Taylor in Des Moines, he knows how to beat him. Dake will slow it down and make it a low scoring match, using his stellar defensive skills to ward off Taylor's explosiveness. Dake has no holes in his game and doesnt make mistakes...that's tough to beat.

I'll be stunned if Ruth loses another match in college. The guy is a freak. Ruth right now vs. Askren as an upperclassman would be a hell of a match to watch

I think Dake will beat Taylor in Des Moines, he knows how to beat him. Dake will slow it down and make it a low scoring match, using his stellar defensive skills to ward off Taylor's explosiveness. Dake has no holes in his game and doesnt make mistakes...that's tough to beat.

I'll be stunned if Ruth loses another match in college. The guy is a freak. Ruth right now vs. Askren as an upperclassman would be a hell of a match to watch

Agree, no one beats Dake in March.

Agree, no one beats Dake in March.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Taylor figuring out a way to finally beat Dake. Not only is Taylor one of the most impressive wrestlers I've ever seen, he also is a quality individual, so hard not to pull for him.

Latest posts