Positive outlook...potential!!

In the past when Iowa laid eggs, there was noticeable speed and talent, even if young. Iowa's strength in better years has been speed on the D line and ends, not necessarily in skill positions. That speed isn't there.

In the past, the Hawks have overcome coaching errors and I consider the late penalty and lack of understanding of onside kicks to be coaching errors. The UNI field goal fiasco's several years ago as cases in point. One can even understand things like this happening with a new staff. The lack of speed isn't going to change. I believe a major issue is the rhabdo fallout from recruiting issues (mom's have a big part of a player/student's decision, and changes in the training program that allowed marginal athletes to improve...but isn't there at the same intensity. It happens again and KF knows he's toast with liability and ethics issues.

Hate to be a negative nelly, but I've come to expect about a 7-5 ceiling, regardless of the level of talent. Exception being the 2009 season where Iowa was getting extremely fortunate in the close games (UNI, MSU, Indiana "the pinball play" that turned the game around, etc.).

Even 2008, with Shonn Greene, etc. - as good as that team seemed to be, they only went 8-4, not counting the bowl.

I agree the rhabado fallout hurt recruiting for a year or two. The Kaz hurt recruiting too and drove away several players we had on campus. That's why the senior and junior classes are subpar. I do think the underclassmen are talented and there's plenty of speed there. They're young and inexperienced - the upper classmen aren't providing them with the leadership and winning attitude. The Hawks have been winning with marginal talent (compared to the top schools) for many years..... because we had strong leadership and guys who were experienced, disciplined and knew how to win. This team lacks senior leadership in the key positions.

"Hate to be a negative nelly, but I've come to expect about a 7-5 ceiling, regardless of the level of talent."

Just in the last 10 years, the Hawks have finished 11-2, 10-3, 10-2, 9-4, 11-2, 8-5, 7-5, 7-5, 6-6. Now if 7-5 is your expected ceiling, you truly are negative nellie!! I suggest Zoloft or some other medication. Reality isn't nearly that bad.

"Hate to be a negative nelly, but I've come to expect about a 7-5 ceiling, regardless of the level of talent."

Just in the last 10 years, the Hawks have finished 11-2, 10-3, 10-2, 9-4, 11-2, 8-5, 7-5, 7-5, 6-6. Now if 7-5 is your expected ceiling, you truly are negative nellie!! I suggest Zoloft or some other medication. Reality isn't nearly that bad.

Which, do the math, is 7.9 w/yr and 3.5 l/yr. And this is supposedly our best decade of football ever. Add to this a very possible 4-8, and the numbers are pretty close to what 1977 said.

Last edited:
"I consider the late penalty and lack of understanding of onside kicks to be coaching errors."

I suppose losing the coin flip, all referees penalties and dropped passes are coaching errors too? I'm having trouble following that logic or serious lack thereof. The coaches can teach and talk and repeat it a thousand times. In the end, players have to step up, be disciplined, play smart, stay focused and execute what they have learned.

"Which, do the math, is 7.9 w/yr and 3.5 l/yr. And this is supposedly our best decade of football ever. Maybe you should lay off some of your meds."

Wow, magic math too nellie? You can't just look at the numbers and see your expectations we're exceeded in most years in the last decade. If you must average, it's actually 8.8 wins and 3.8 losses (with rounding). 9-4 with a bowl win sounds great to this Hawk fan!! Try the meds nellie - might improve your math too.

We scored 31 points with our 24th string RB. Our defense gave up 32. Obviously it's Vandenberg's fault.............

Why is everyone so high on CJF? I don't get it. He's a junior who has 29 catches in his career. He's never caught over 4 balls in a game and only has 1 game over 50 yards and we keep talking about him in the NFL. just b/c of his size? B/c his production is LOWSY. Especially compared to other Hawk TE's in years past that are in the NFL.

Someone has to throw the ball to him.

Davis has flubbed 2 touchdown passes in 2 games.

Against UNI, JVB threw to Davis' back shoulder (the only place to complete the pass) and Davis was completely turned around. Against CM, Davis just dropped the pass in the endzone.

"Which, do the math, is 7.9 w/yr and 3.5 l/yr. And this is supposedly our best decade of football ever. Maybe you should lay off some of your meds."

Wow, magic math too nellie? You can't just look at the numbers and see your expectations we're exceeded in most years in the last decade. If you must average, it's actually 8.8 wins and 3.8 losses (with rounding). 9-4 with a bowl win sounds great to this Hawk fan!! Try the meds nellie - might improve your math too.

My bad. I used your numbers/10 (b/c you used 10 years as you argument, but only provided 9 years of records)

"I consider the late penalty and lack of understanding of onside kicks to be coaching errors."

I suppose losing the coin flip, all referees penalties and dropped passes are coaching errors too? I'm having trouble following that logic or serious lack thereof. The coaches can teach and talk and repeat it a thousand times. In the end, players have to step up, be disciplined, play smart, stay focused and execute what they have learned.

Who is responsible for recruiting players will be disciplined, play smart, stay focused and execute? When I see a lack of discipline, that screams bad coaching. If they are repeating things a thousand times, than maybe they should find a new way to say it, because, clearly, the players aren't getting the message.

My bad. I used your numbers/10 (b/c you used 10 years as you argument, but only provided 9 years of records)

We had a few great seasons in a row starting in 2002. Since that time, we are basically a 7 win team, that has had one season where the ball bounced our way. If people are satisfied with that, than so be it. I choose not to be.

Playing smart, staying focused and execution are the traits learned by players with gametime experience - which we lack due to youth. All the players interviewed indicated they knew what to do, they just didn't execute the plan. Not one player said we never practiced this, I did not know what I was doing. But go ahead ignore the facts as stated by the players, it's "your logic" - clearly a coaching mistake. The reality of the situation is the referees had a ton to do with us losing focus. Ball falling off the tee multiple times, the refs stopping play letting them mess around before finally getting a guy up to hold the ball on the tee, then we made the play successfully. In pop the refs again, delay of game, do over. They messed around for four minutes, then when they finally get set and kick - delay of game? From when? The 30 second clock was never reset. More amazing officiating to cap a game of amazing calls and amazing missed calls? Now re-kick, only the kicker rushes up and kicks it before the referee blows his whistle signaling live play. You can see Iowa's reaction and hear the whistle. The holder takes off running well before the balls been kicked. From my view the guy who caught the ball initially touched it 8 1/2 yards down field while diving and landed about 10 1/2 to 11 yards downfield. Refs should have stopped the kick for procedure and then it's Iowa's ball for touching before it went 10 yards....of course no call. You could see the Iowa penalty coming at that point. Don't call the holding, then the tackling, then the holding on the ground, then the sitting on and laying on the defender past the end of the play. No clearly, it's on Iowa for being upset about more b.s. officiating. Sorry, I'm giving the guys a pass here. They are not paid pro players. They are college kids trying to win for the Hawk fans and getting frustrated. I can see why...we won....no do over...new rules today...didn't you get the memo...F****!!!

"We had a few great seasons in a row starting in 2002. Since that time, we are basically a 7 win team, that has had one season where the ball bounced our way. If people are satisfied with that, than so be it. I choose not to be."

So, completely ignore five of the best seasons in Iowa football history, the elite bowl wins, the multiple finishes in the top ten final ratings, along with a couple other exciting and successful seasons all in this decade. Just focus on the last year or two and gloom & doom right? Meds my friend. Penn State - that's doom...Iowa's rebuilding - even the elite program's have to do that. I for one want to see the recruits Brian & Woods are going to bring us. Motivated, intelligient, positive, NFL connected, hard working young guys out there connecting with recruits and selling the Hawkeye program.

Stop the "execution" argument. It a total BS way that the coaches shift blame to the players. Quite frankly, it's chicken **** leadership.

If I make a game plan that says, "block all opponents to the ground and run into the endzone", and then the players can't do that consistently, that's on me for have a dumb-*** plan.

A coach has to either pick players that can execute his plan or select a plan that his players can execute. Failure is ultimately on leadership and I'm sick of hearing Kurt push the blame onto the players. It's BS.

Stop the "execution" argument. It a total BS way that the coaches shift blame to the players. Quite frankly, it's chicken **** leadership.

If I make a game plan that says, "block all opponents to the ground and run into the endzone", and then the players can't do that consistently, that's on me for have a dumb-*** plan.

A coach has to either pick players that can execute his plan or select a plan that his players can execute. Failure is ultimately on leadership and I'm sick of hearing Kurt push the blame onto the players. It's BS.

It also basically gives zero credit to the opposition.

This summarizes my feelings on the execution BS completely. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Quite frankly it is the dumbest over used expression by the Iowa program.
So, if a play is executed to perfection they should score on each and every play? As Cliche stated it gives the opposition no credit whatsoever for their "execution" or lack of.
I find it to be a complete chicken sh*t copout by the coach trying to politely lay the blame on his players and not his game plan. KF is not the only coach who does it, but it is a cop out line if ever there is one.

We scored 31 points with our 24th string RB. Our defense gave up 32. Obviously it's Vandenberg's fault.............

Why is everyone so high on CJF? I don't get it. He's a junior who has 29 catches in his career. He's never caught over 4 balls in a game and only has 1 game over 50 yards and we keep talking about him in the NFL. just b/c of his size? B/c his production is LOWSY. Especially compared to other Hawk TE's in years past that are in the NFL.

That might have something to do with the fact that Vandenberg has been terrible and has barely targeted CJF.

Latest posts