Portal opens 4-15

It's pretty simple and I think everyone already knows, including the Iowa staff. No upper tier WR recruits want to come here.

Let's look at it from the other direction...

Name 1 reason an upper tier WR would want to come to Iowa over another school.

It's a chicken/egg problem.
See, I think this is the wrong conversation to be having. Of course, what Fry is saying is true. And if the coaches don't know that then they are jamming ice picks into their ears to drown out the criticism.

The conversation should not be how do we coax a talented, High D1 transfer WR to Iowa, the immediate conversation should be how do we find the next Charlie Jones and get that kid on campus? The longer term discussion is how do we develop more success on the field so we are more attractive down the road. But for now, we need depth. We should be panning for diamonds in the rough at WR right now.

See, I think this is the wrong conversation to be having. Of course, what Fry is saying is true. And if the coaches don't know that then they are jamming ice picks into their ears to drown out the criticism.

The conversation should not be how do we coax a talented, High D1 transfer WR to Iowa, the immediate conversation should be how do we find the next Charlie Jones and get that kid on campus? The longer term discussion is how do we develop more success on the field so we are more attractive down the road. But for now, we need depth. We should be panning for diamonds in the rough at WR right now.
The question for transfer WRs is, would you rather stand on the sidelines at your current school or run meaningless routes and block for Iowa?

Because we return 4 out of 5 starters, a couple other guys with starting experience, and two pretty good portal guys who are competing for two deep spots. I am sure the coaches see what is available and do not see anyone that they can get as an upgrade over what they got. Personally, I would spend nearly all my energy on developing the shit out of the 12 guys that I got rather than trying to fold in a new personality to the OL room.
So... a DII OT and a MAC OG were an upgrade, but the Iowa staff felt available P5-level talent in the portal was not an upgrade?

Last edited:
So... a DII OT and a MAC OG were an upgrade, but the Iowa staff felt available P5-level talent in the portal was not an upgrade?
I have no idea. I am not actually on the coaching staff. :) Despite the last two seasons, I generally trust this coaching staff to recruit and develop OL. That said, can we all acknowledge that no one on this Board has a damn clue who Iowa has looked at in the portal, who they have communicated with or targeted, or whether they perceive a need. For all we know, they have called every kid in the portal and been shot down. Or, they called no one because they are set. We don't know. The truth is probably in the middle.

What I do know is that the coaches do not have unlimited time and resources to just work the portal. They are recruiting high school kids and coaching the kids on campus and otherwise being coaches. I also know that developing and folding in OL generally takes time. My point is that in a game of triage of what needs to be addressed, the WR room is much thinner than the OL room. I would feel pretty ok going into battle with what we have in the OL room (assuming they get healthy), I don't feel the same way about the WR room.

If we can get one more wr and some depth at cb, ol, and lb I’d feel really good. This wr from Ohio state is a great start but I’d like to get the kid from Michigan and some serviceable depth at those other positions

It's pretty simple and I think everyone already knows, including the Iowa staff. No upper tier WR recruits want to come here.

Let's look at it from the other direction...

Name 1 reason an upper tier WR would want to come to Iowa over another school.

It's a chicken/egg problem.
This post did not age well. :)

Giving you grief, Fry. I know you of all people love to be wrong when it plays in Iowa's favor.

This post did not age well. :)

Giving you grief, Fry. I know you of all people love to be wrong when it plays in Iowa's favor.
100% fine with being wrong in any case, but I guess where that post was aimed (for discussion’s sake) was at new recruits rather than transfers. Now, in the grand scheme of things they’re very similar, but I also think that there’s a distinction. In the case of a transfer you’re finding guys who maybe weren’t a fit or got buried and have the skills and a year of elite P5 coaching under their belts.

Where I think it’s really tough is with HS recruits. Negative recruiting plays such a huge part and as of right now we don’t have a single body of work to fall back on as enticement for really good WRs to sign. No draftees playing, no pro bowlers, no award winners, 6 years straight of horrible quarterbacking, we have a stated reliance and emphasis on TEs over WRs in the passing game we do have…etc, etc.

If McNamara comes out as a gunslinger and a couple receivers can put up big numbers and make an active roster when they leave we may have something, but I don’t necessarily see it. I think this team continues to rely on its bread and butter (if you can even call it that) of TE passing and the run game.

100% fine with being wrong in any case, but I guess where that post was aimed (for discussion’s sake) was at new recruits rather than transfers. Now, in the grand scheme of things they’re very similar, but I also think that there’s a distinction. In the case of a transfer you’re finding guys who maybe weren’t a fit or got buried and have the skills and a year of elite P5 coaching under their belts.

Where I think it’s really tough is with HS recruits. Negative recruiting plays such a huge part and as of right now we don’t have a single body of work to fall back on as enticement for really good WRs to sign. No draftees playing, no pro bowlers, no award winners, 6 years straight of horrible quarterbacking, we have a stated reliance and emphasis on TEs over WRs in the passing game we do have…etc, etc.

If McNamara comes out as a gunslinger and a couple receivers can put up big numbers and make an active roster when they leave we may have something, but I don’t necessarily see it. I think this team continues to rely on its bread and butter (if you can even call it that) of TE passing and the run game.
Alright, I am calling bullshit. Your post did not distinguish between high school kids and portal kids. The title of this thread is "Portal Opens 4-15". The thread is almost exclusively discussing portal targets, and your other posts are discussing portal targets. In hindsight given the commitment, you were just dead wrong. Don't spin.

To be clear, your post did not seem at all wrong when you made it. Hell, I was advocating for Iowa just to scrounge out some DII kid just so we have bodies for practice. The staff just did some rather miraculous and made all of us doubters look silly, and that's totally awesome.

Alright, I am calling bullshit. Your post did not distinguish between high school kids and portal kids. The title of this thread is "Portal Opens 4-15". The thread is almost exclusively discussing portal targets, and your other posts are discussing portal targets. In hindsight given the commitment, you were just dead wrong. Don't spin.

To be clear, your post did not seem at all wrong when you made it. Hell, I was advocating for Iowa just to scrounge out some DII kid just so we have bodies for practice. The staff just did some rather miraculous and made all of us doubters look silly, and that's totally awesome.
Lol. Call bullshit if you want.

Lol. Call bullshit if you want.
Fry, you know I am a lawyer. If I had you on the stand with that answer the cross-examination would have been brutal. :)

You weren't the only doubter when it comes to selling top level WRs on coming to Iowa. The notion that we could land a Top 100 recruit at that position would have been inconceivable to me a week ago.

If the offense can come together and continue to get breaks from the D, things could go a long ways to deoderizing the stank that BF and crew have placed on it the last 2 years. If the offense is even slightly above average, it could be a national story.

Fry, you know I am a lawyer. If I had you on the stand with that answer the cross-examination would have been brutal.
I've been in that seat several times. I am not a lawyer, and I would be a not minor handful for you. I actually enjoyed it.

I'm glad someone called that out.

Latest posts