Pomeroy Ratings: Wow is the Big Ten Strong

ChosenChildren

Now that the non-conference schedules are almost complete, I looked at the current Ken Pomeroy ratings (KenPom.com). Here are the current ratings of Big Ten teams:

1. Wisconsin
3. Ohio State
7. Indiana
10. Mich St
25. Purdue
42. MN
43. Mich
52. ILL
58. NW
88. Nebby
125. Your Iowa Hawkeyes
142. Nittany Molesters

This is out of 345 teams.

I wonder if the Big Ten has ever been this strong. Iowa could turn out to be much improved this year and still only win 2 to 4 Big Ten games.

This conference is absolutely loaded this year, IMO. I believe that the Big Ten is much stronger top to bottom in basketball than it is in football.

There were several years in the 80's and early 90's where the Big Ten was better than it is now. The teams played each other twice and Nebraska and Penn State were not in the league. 1987 & 1989 jump the mind right away. Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Purdue...very good to great teams who I think would run most of today's Big Ten teams right off the floor

Thats interesting Jon. Only in Basketball i guess. If I think of the 80s and 90s football teams i dont think they would compete with the size and speed of todays football programs. But in Basketball a shooter is a shooter!

Raise your hand if you thought Indiana would be ahead of MSU and Purdue at this point in the season.

If your hand is up, you are a dirty liar.

Raise your hand if you thought Indiana would be ahead of MSU and Purdue at this point in the season.

If your hand is up, you are a dirty liar.

Would they still be if that shot didn't go in? Crean has them rolling again. Hopefully Fran can do the same in year 4.

Would they still be if that shot didn't go in? Crean has them rolling again. Hopefully Fran can do the same in year 4.
They'd be Top 25 in KenPom still, I would think. 2 point loss at home to the #1 team (at the time) wouldn't have hurt them too badly.

But the win boosted their resume to infinity.

Safe to say that the Big 10 is up there with the Big East for being the top basketball conference

Imagine the rankings if Purdue didnt blow the huge lead on the road at #15 Xavier or the neutral site loss to Butler.

Here were the final AP rankings from the according seasons:

1989-1990
3. MSU
10. Purdue
13. Michigan
18. Illinois
20. Minnesota
7 of 10 in tourney

1988-1989
3. Illinois (Final Four)
8. Indiana
10. Michigan (National Champ)
14. Iowa
Ohio State ranked in teens most of season, 5 of 10 in tourney

1987-1988
3. Purdue
10. Michigan
16. Illinois
17. Iowa
Indiana got as high as #3 that year finished unranked, 5 of 10 in tourney

1986-1987
3. Indiana (Champ)
6. Iowa (Elite 8)
7. Purdue
11. Illinois
6 of 10 in tourney

Here is a great resource on old school conference standing and such

1991-92 Big Ten Conference Season Summary | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

The B1G has gotten 7 into the dance since 1989-1990 on more than one occasion, but that has been with 11 members, not the 10 they had in 1989-1990

And from an eyeball test standpoint, college basketball was just better in that era than it is now.

The B1G has gotten 7 into the dance since 1989-1990 on more than one occasion, but that has been with 11 members, not the 10 they had in 1989-1990

And from an eyeball test standpoint, college basketball was just better in that era than it is now.

Basketball, in general, was much more fun to watch in the 80s and 90s (not just because Iowa was better in those decades). I'm talking NBA and college - it really deteriorated late 90s and into the 2000s.

Hasn't recovered yet, but it's still my favorite sport, bar none.

How is Wisconsin still #1 with two losses? I admit that I don't follow Ken Pom closely so a brief explanation would be great.

Also, in regard to the strength of the Big Ten. I think the conference was much stronger last season. This year college basketball seems extremely weak outside of the Top 7. This definitely appears to be a year where all 4 number one seeds will be strong favorites to make the Final Four. The Pac 12 doesn't have a ranked team, the Big East is down big time from previous years, the ACC is still UNC, Duke and no one else really. The SEC is incredibly top heavy. The Big 12 seems to have gotten much stronger with the losses of UNL and CO while Mizzou and Baylor finally seem to have their acts together. The Big Ten still seems very average outside of OSU.

If Basabe keeps his act together like he has been Iowa could still do OK in the Big Ten.

Basketball, in general, was much more fun to watch in the 80s and 90s (not just because Iowa was better in those decades). I'm talking NBA and college - it really deteriorated late 90s and into the 2000s.

Hasn't recovered yet, but it's still my favorite sport, bar none.

David Sterns manipulation of the rules of bball was a very profitable short term business move but had a very damaging effect to the way the game was played and taught or more accurately not taught.

Stern does not want HS kids going directly to the NBA..it is bad for business. He tried to get a two year rule into the CBA but the agents would not allow it. Shame.

I thought the Big Ten was going to be better last year than this year also,due to all the seniors in the league,but in the end, Purdue lost Hummel,so they fizzled,and OSU did not make the FF,so now,not so sure. I think the depth of the league is better this year. More solid teams. Newcomers like Zeller ,Trey Burke, Woods,Dawson, and Harris have added to the league.
I do think that UNC,KY,OSU and Cuse are the class of the country right now.

The B1G has gotten 7 into the dance since 1989-1990 on more than one occasion, but that has been with 11 members, not the 10 they had in 1989-1990And from an eyeball test standpoint, college basketball was just better in that era than it is now.
No eyeball tests!! Get rid of the NCAA tourney!!

Latest posts