Poll - Would you want your son, if he was an Iowa QB recruit, to play under OC GD?

Would you want your son, if he was an Iowa QB recruit, to play under current OC GD?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Poll - Would you want your son, if he was an Iowa QB recruit, to play under OC GD

Full Ride? Sure, wouldn't really matter who the OC was or how bad we were. As a lifetime Hawk fan and a parent who would love to see his son not only go to Iowa, but play for Iowa Football, and as a about a $200,000 bonus....he gets a free education.

That said, Greg Davis's offense is crap, and I want it to change immediately !!

Re: Poll - Would you want your son, if he was an Iowa QB recruit, to play under OC GD

I know Davis wants to open Iowa's offense up. I also know Ferentz is going to do everything in his power to prevent Iowa's offense from being opened up because too many chances are being taken (in KF's mind). Ferentz ultimately has the last say.. evidently he likes to manage everything.

Maybe Davis should just quit... instead of displaying this (what I observe as a) tantrum against KF. What I mean by tantrum: calling plays attempting to open the offense with a QB who either can't or won't open the offense because of other coach's wishes. Davis can't win, here. Start calling KF's preferences. Run the ball. Don't take chances. Accept your fate... or quit.

I answered no to the poll question because Davis' offensive philosophy doesn't mesh with Ferentz' offensive philosophy and KF always wins.

Last edited:

Is Greg Davis trying to send us a signal, like he is a hostage trapped inside some kind of football Siberia? Is this a cry for help? Why has noone spoken to him since preseason? Who can explain the mystery?

Is Greg Davis trying to send us a signal, like he is a hostage trapped inside some kind of football Siberia? Is this a cry for help? Why has noone spoken to him since preseason? Who can explain the mystery?

You owe me a new keyboard...LOL:D

GD will be long gone and probably 6 feet under by the time my son is old enough to play college ball. And if he were still there, my son would probably make him dirty his depends from fear.

What are the other options? Is he a pro prospect? If not a pro prospect, and if NW offered, he'd be wearing purple, no doubt. If the other offers are UNI, etc., then he's going to Iowa City. If he's a pro-prospect, then no way I'd let him even talk to Greg Davis.

Pro prospect?? If anything, an OFFENSIVE pro prospect, a QB, has more chances of making it in the pros under Davis' guidance than under any other Iowa OC/ Ferentz. A QB and WR has more chances to learn and practice pro game scenarios with more sophisticated offenses and the RB will have to be fast and shifty. Iowa's offensive pipeline to the pros contains TEs and the OLine positions period.

Let me put it this way. If was a reasonably highly touted recruit and had other good options (meaning other good BCS level programs), no WAY would I commit to Iowa to play under that offense. How many QB's has Iowa put in the NFL? Stanzi? I think Banks may have gone undrafted IIRC, but at any rate, I thought he got cut and never really had an NFL career. So, no. I would want to play in a program with a good offense that would give me the best opportunity to show my stuff (pad my stats) and have the best shot at a pro career. Ain't happening under KF.

So I guess no - I wouldn't encourage my kid to play for Iowa. Other positions, sure, but not QB, WR, etc. or any skill position. RB, maybe.

Now if it was a situation where Iowa was the only scholarship offer, or if it was the only BCS level team to offer, then yeah, go for it. But I stand by what I wrote above. Although I question if my kid would get the coaching necessary to become the best player he could be as a QB.

If I were advising a kid who from Iowa who was a high major talent at any position who was say a 4 star type player, the waterfall would go:

1) Stanford
2) Northwestern
3) Duke
4) Michigan
5) Vanderbilt
6) Cal
7) Notre Dame
8) Texas
9) Iowa

Final selection would come down to position, style, how stacked the school is, etc., but it is in the kid's best interest to get as much educational pedigree as possible due to the rarity of playing football professionally. Given the general labor glut out there, it would be borderline criminal to advise a kid to go to Auburn, Alabama or some other diploma mill in the SEC. If the kid was dumb, then I'd probably suggest Iowa, but if he was a QB, well, I don't know. I suspect Ferentz would bench Chuck Long as a sophomore and junior in favor of Rudock or JVB as a junior and senior.

EDIT - move Iowa to 10th and put UVA on there somewhere above Iowa, too.

Yes, because that means his other schools recruiting him athletically are MAC schools :). Primarily we beat out MAC schools for recruits, what seems like too many times.

I would vote yes if I wanted my son to regress as a player each year and blow any chance of succeeding as a player/team and getting to the next level. I would rather he have a better experience playing for a lower tier collegiate division than play for GD/KF.

Pro prospect?? If anything, an OFFENSIVE pro prospect, a QB, has more chances of making it in the pros under Davis' guidance than under any other Iowa OC/ Ferentz. A QB and WR has more chances to learn and practice pro game scenarios with more sophisticated offenses and the RB will have to be fast and shifty. Iowa's offensive pipeline to the pros contains TEs and the OLine positions period.

I've got Shonn Greene on the line for you. Jewell Hampton may want to speak with you as well.

My son? Holy crap, are we recruiting toddlers now?

I've got Shonn Greene on the line for you. Jewell Hampton may want to speak with you as well.
You think Greene was fast and shifty? 'Cause I didn't. Hampton? Who knows his potential? How long did he last as a Hawkeye, anyway?

You really don't know what Jewell Hampton did after he left?

If I were advising a kid who from Iowa who was a high major talent at any position who was say a 4 star type player, the waterfall would go:

1) Stanford
2) Northwestern
3) Duke
4) Michigan
5) Vanderbilt
6) Cal
7) Notre Dame
8) Texas
9) Iowa

Final selection would come down to position, style, how stacked the school is, etc., but it is in the kid's best interest to get as much educational pedigree as possible due to the rarity of playing football professionally. Given the general labor glut out there, it would be borderline criminal to advise a kid to go to Auburn, Alabama or some other diploma mill in the SEC. If the kid was dumb, then I'd probably suggest Iowa, but if he was a QB, well, I don't know. I suspect Ferentz would bench Chuck Long as a sophomore and junior in favor of Rudock or JVB as a junior and senior.

EDIT - move Iowa to 10th and put UVA on there somewhere above Iowa, too.

There is no doubt that Stanford is currently the #1 academic/athletic combo out there. Absolutely none.

If you aren't going pro, you have to put the likes of Harvard, etc., on the list, even if there is no athletic prestige.

But, if you are a 4-star, you might have professional ambitions, I guess. Yep, Stanford it is.

There is no doubt that Stanford is currently the #1 academic/athletic combo out there. Absolutely none.

If you aren't going pro, you have to put the likes of Harvard, etc., on the list, even if there is no athletic prestige.

But, if you are a 4-star, you might have professional ambitions, I guess. Yep, Stanford it is.

Obviously you would want to put Harvard up top, but they don't give football scholarships and I don't know that the pedigree of Harvard at $250k all in outweighs Stanford for free.

Latest posts