Poll: Will firing assistants/coordinators fix our problems

Will firing the assistants fix what ails the program?

• Yes

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • We've been down this path before

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it depends what camp you reside in...the one that GD actually gets to call the plays he wants therefore he's the failure or does KF dictate that more than we know and so there's handcuffs and GD will be the fall guy. If KF dictates it, then firing GD won't matter cause KF will handcuff the next guy. Everyone thought KOK was the problem...that didn't work out the greatest. The problem is it's not just one thing or one person. It's really an accumulation of things that's causing issues. It's playcalling, it's being predictable, it's KF's stubbornness, it's recruiting (or lack there of), it's stupid penalties, it's not evolving as a program, it's execution on the field....etc.

If Brian were to be promoted to OC, would that matter? Not sure. I think KF listened to Brian a little bit last yr. It at least seemed that way or the media skewed it that way. Maybe he didn't. If he doesn't, then being the OL coach on Dec 31 vs being the OC on Jan 1 will not change things one bit.

At the end of the day, KF has to want things to change and he's proven for the most part that he believes his way is the best way whether it produces or not. If he doesn't, then we are what we are until he's gone and that's a 59% winning team. Either people will like it or they won't cause he's not getting fired anytime soon.

I'm in the camp that thinks the play calls have been OK but the passing scheme just doesn't work for Iowa. That's based on stats comparing GD and KOK. I actually think there have been improvements in the running game since GD got here. Probably because our passing attack was so pathetic we had to make improvements somewhere.

I do wonder if we still had KOK on staff, and our offenses would fall into the average of what he produced here at Iowa, would our record have improved? I have to think so because KOK seemed to range between 50-70 in rankings, while under GDGD we are 80-90

That's a big leap in stats, and that has to make a difference in some of the games we've played.

I do not understand the talk of BF as our next OC. We keep talking about how he learned under Bill B at New England, yet we've seen none of the brilliance translate over to our OL and Running Game.

I don't think BF would run a horrible WR route read offense like we do now, but I don't for one second think we'd all of a sudden change our philosphy of balanced offense for the sake of balance.

I have wanted KF gone after the 2007 season. We did get 2008/2009/2012, but we've also had so much heartbreak and hair pulling in between. A new OC wouldn't make too big of a difference.

Reese Morgan is the exception to any assistants being replaced. Put him back as OL coach. Any assistant, coordinator or head coach leaving wouldn't bother me a bit as long as Reese Morgan stays.

firing people, by its self does nothing.

What would be more important is for Kirk to fully embrace offense as a way of winning. Great offense and great defense are not mutually exclusive. Having one does not preclude the other. Its not an "either or issue."

He seems to have a grudging acceptance that it is part of the game. And the part of offense that he is interested is blocking. (Read Process). He likes OLine coaching and so his head is way up in process wazoo and never seems to pull his head out and think about outcomes. The notion that there are other great ways to score seems foreign. IMO.

Seems more content with ball control and less important with scoring points. Us fans and even Dolf are brain washed, always looking at how we eat up the clock when we have the lead. Once Iowa gets up by a couple of scores it as if they just don't really know what to do with themselves.

Last edited:
The entire second half of the Purdue game looked like an attempt to run out the clock. No thought given to letting the second team run some exotics. Try out some fancy stuff on offense or defense. So instead the second team can now watch themselves fail on tape and start to doubt themselves. What an awesome plan for building a better future.

Lemme ask you this. If Kirk came out tomorrow and said, "GD, and KOK when he was here, run the offense that I like. And if GD retires I will find someone as similar to him as I can."

A) What would you say in response to that??

B) Do you believe Kirk sees either of those gentlemen as under-performing at their jobs??
IS CRYING A GOOD RESPONSE TO A AND B??

I think we would still see the same conservative approach, but I'm just saying it couldn't hurt, because our quarterbacks regress in this system, the receivers outside of MV and RM seem to have no idea what they are doing, and the play calling is often so bad it makes me long for the days of KOK. Yeah, I said it, so what? As much as everyone blamed Ken, he was a step up from Greg. The only way it could hurt is if he found a guy that is actually worse than Davis. Maybe someone who worked for CPR or something.

I understand your stance. But Kirk hired someone worse than KOK. Can you see how that applies to your last couple of sentences?

I understand your stance. But Kirk hired someone worse than KOK. Can you see how that applies to your last couple of sentences?
I can. At this point we are stuck with mediocrity for a long time and it's depressing

Someone on here (in a different thread) mentioned how a sense of urgency overtook the program after the PSU blowout. Why does the season have to be on the brink before urgency sets in? Why does the seat have to be hot before Kirk delivers his best? What petty reasons keep better athletes off the field? Why do we wait until the 4th quarter to throw the ball deep?

Fire Greg Davis? The only firing that will help Iowa football is Gary Barta, assuming his replacement is blood-related to Barry Alvarez.

And yet a couple of Nebby talking heads are saying the bug eaters need to move from what they're doing to a smash mouth run first like Wisconsin and Iowa.

Grass is always greener.

It's possible to have a smash mouth run first mentality and be imaginative on offense too.

I don't need 56-48 scores in football. I hate that kind of football. When the scores scroll at the bottom of the screen in November I don't know if I'm reading football or basketball scores.

I think we would still see the same conservative approach, but I'm just saying it couldn't hurt, because our quarterbacks regress in this system, the receivers outside of MV and RM seem to have no idea what they are doing, and the play calling is often so bad it makes me long for the days of KOK. Yeah, I said it, so what? As much as everyone blamed Ken, he was a step up from Greg. The only way it could hurt is if he found a guy that is actually worse than Davis. Maybe someone who worked for CPR or something.

Only if Ferments would say ONCE what Saban said today...."It's never o.k. to lose a football game"

So, if he said that, everything would be fine?

He could write this as the lyrics of a song he sang at every press conference....and losses would still suck, and you'd still think he's an awful coach.

if only though....

Someone on here (in a different thread) mentioned how a sense of urgency overtook the program after the PSU blowout. Why does the season have to be on the brink before urgency sets in? Why does the seat have to be hot before Kirk delivers his best? What petty reasons keep better athletes off the field? Why do we wait until the 4th quarter to throw the ball deep?

Fire Greg Davis? The only firing that will help Iowa football is Gary Barta, assuming his replacement is blood-related to Barry Alvarez.

Can you hurry up and get Barta fired please. I'm sick of waiting around.

In the meantime, do you think it would be a good idea to change OC, even if KF has influence on the new one? Or should we just wait until Barta is fired or KF decides to hang it up? Thoughts?

And yet a couple of Nebby talking heads are saying the bug eaters need to move from what they're doing to a smash mouth run first like Wisconsin and Iowa.

Grass is always greener.

It's possible to have a smash mouth run first mentality and be imaginative on offense too.

I don't need 56-48 scores in football. I hate that kind of football. When the scores scroll at the bottom of the screen in November I don't know if I'm reading football or basketball scores.

I'm with you on this. 56-48 is not fun football to watch. Give me a 24-21 or a 27-24 game any day of the week. Defense makes plays, offense makes plays, and the game is just fun. 56-48 is just no defense at all, it is a joke. No big hits, now big defensive stops, no fun really.

I'm with you on this. 56-48 is not fun football to watch. Give me a 24-21 or a 27-24 game any day of the week. Defense makes plays, offense makes plays, and the game is just fun. 56-48 is just no defense at all, it is a joke. No big hits, now big defensive stops, no fun really.
This. better said.

Greg Davis still needs to go. Iowa won't suddenly become a top 10 offense with whoever they hire to replace him, but even if they just get another KOK that's a hell of an upgrade

Latest posts