Poll: Will firing assistants/coordinators fix our problems

Will firing the assistants fix what ails the program?

• Yes

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • We've been down this path before

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Firing Davis would help, Kirk making the hire will hurt. If we bring in new coordinators it's only going to give Kirk an excuse why the offense isn't clicking, etc. etc. coach talk.
Welcome back to football apathy.

I think this is a reference to 2012 where it must've felt very good to Kirk to have someone else take all the heat for that season.

Nope...the snakes head must go!

This is where I am and the poll suggests the majority is. We have fans in this thread now saying they want KOK back. KOK had a few (2?) top ranked scoring offenses. But on avg his scoring offense was comparable to GD. IMO Kirk looks at creativity as "gimmicks" that don't really do anything but create turnovers.

Really? Ferentz hired him knowing his history. Anything Davis does now has the approval of Ferentz because he is the head coach and in charge. If you think that Ferentz will let another offensive coordinator come in and shake things up then you are the mayor of Crazytown.

Of course Mac Brown used him as an excuse a year or two before he himself got fired. Maybe that's why Ferentz hired him, scapegoat experience. :(

I laughed. But IMO this demonstrates reality. Fans love Kirk because he is boring (no drama, which historically isn't even true btw) - and then fans post as if they are shocked that a boring guy would produce a boring team. I'm not shocked. It makes perfect sense.

LMAO!!!! That's the ticket we need to get an experience scapegoat so KF can deflect the criticism toward Greg.

HEY don't be talking GOAT with the Cubs now in the World Series. Maybe that's what the problem is. It's that damn goat. It's not a scapegoat it's an escape goat. Some clown fan stole it from the Chicago area and dumped it somewhere in Iowa City. Eno got KF's goat up. :eek:

To this day none of us know whether Kirk - in his own mind - takes responsibility for under-performing seasons. He's said he does in the past. But then the contract demands create a different feeling.

So we can bring in Chip Kelly to do the same thing we are doing now...

Don't get me wrong as I'm ok with Davis going but anyone who is under the belief that we will not see more of the same with a new guy i feel bad for you/them. Except if it's Brian possibly because he's the only guy that seems to have any latitude or influence with KF. Not sure that's good or bad just saying anyone else will be a hired puppet.

The majority agree with you that Brian is the answer because he cannot be made to kneel before Kirk. Maybe that's true??? But my gut says two things. First, his resume doesn't tell us anything about his ability to be an OC for any coach. Second, I think people are forgetting what Eno/Chevin have made clear. Iowa football is Kirk's bathtub toy. No one, not even his son, will tell him how to play with his toy.

Because of the contract situation, firing assistants would be the ONLY move. Actually, I'd be more interested in firing the AD and having the new guy demand changes. There's no leverage on Ferentz with Barta, so bringing in new blood to be the strongman seems to be the way to go.

STARTS AT TOP. ALWAYS HAS ALWAYS WILL.HARD ADMIT TO SELF.BUT ITS HIS SHIP.ITS YOUR DECISION WITH HIM OR NOT.OTHER SHIPS ARE OPTION. GO HAWKS!

Double decaf for this gentlemen barista. But I agree that once someone has made up their mind we have the best we can hope for . . . it's hard to admit to one's self that historical revisionism is what makes that belief possible.

Iowa will go 6-6, 7-5 and we'll hear the same crap from KF and Barta that they'll review everything. They'll hold a press conference saying "that's football". We've seen this movie before, not sure why anyone is surprised by what's going on. Last year was a dream season, followed by this year with the same stale offense and defense we've seen under KF. Expect more of the same folks.

Depends on who is hired. The OC is what needs changed. asap.

Lemme ask you this. If Kirk came out tomorrow and said, "GD, and KOK when he was here, run the offense that I like. And if GD retires I will find someone as similar to him as I can."

A) What would you say in response to that??

B) Do you believe Kirk sees either of those gentlemen as under-performing at their jobs??

Firing the assistant's will do nothing. Hiring an OC that can run a pro style, zone blocking, scheme effectively would do wonders.

A Bill O'Brian / Paul Chryst type would be magnificent. They both ran/run pro style, run first schemes and use the skill they had/have.

Despite all other deficiencies, Greg Davis will ultimately be Kirk's undoing.

51m0mkWu0XL.jpg

B) Do you believe Kirk sees either of those gentlemen as under-performing at their jobs??

I know this must be a trick question. Nevermind GD or KOK, there's no evidence KF would ever use a phrase like "under-performing". That would imply things like review / evaluation, performance standards, and accountability.

I think it depends what camp you reside in...the one that GD actually gets to call the plays he wants therefore he's the failure or does KF dictate that more than we know and so there's handcuffs and GD will be the fall guy. If KF dictates it, then firing GD won't matter cause KF will handcuff the next guy. Everyone thought KOK was the problem...that didn't work out the greatest. The problem is it's not just one thing or one person. It's really an accumulation of things that's causing issues. It's playcalling, it's being predictable, it's KF's stubbornness, it's recruiting (or lack there of), it's stupid penalties, it's not evolving as a program, it's execution on the field....etc.

If Brian were to be promoted to OC, would that matter? Not sure. I think KF listened to Brian a little bit last yr. It at least seemed that way or the media skewed it that way. Maybe he didn't. If he doesn't, then being the OL coach on Dec 31 vs being the OC on Jan 1 will not change things one bit.

At the end of the day, KF has to want things to change and he's proven for the most part that he believes his way is the best way whether it produces or not. If he doesn't, then we are what we are until he's gone and that's a 59% winning team. Either people will like it or they won't cause he's not getting fired anytime soon.

I think it depends what camp you reside in...the one that GD actually gets to call the plays he wants therefore he's the failure or does KF dictate that more than we know and so there's handcuffs and GD will be the fall guy. If KF dictates it, then firing GD won't matter cause KF will handcuff the next guy. Everyone thought KOK was the problem...that didn't work out the greatest. The problem is it's not just one thing or one person. It's really an accumulation of things that's causing issues. It's playcalling, it's being predictable, it's KF's stubbornness, it's recruiting (or lack there of), it's stupid penalties, it's not evolving as a program, it's execution on the field....etc.

If Brian were to be promoted to OC, would that matter? Not sure. I think KF listened to Brian a little bit last yr. It at least seemed that way or the media skewed it that way. Maybe he didn't. If he doesn't, then being the OL coach on Dec 31 vs being the OC on Jan 1 will not change things one bit.

At the end of the day, KF has to want things to change and he's proven for the most part that he believes his way is the best way whether it produces or not. If he doesn't, then we are what we are until he's gone and that's a 59% winning team. Either people will like it or they won't cause he's not getting fired anytime soon.

You're lucid; literate and correct.

But . . . (there's always a but) . . . remember when Texas fans hired a sky-writing plane to fly over the stadium with a 200ft banner calling for a coach to be fired . . . well why can't we do that????

But . . . (there's always a but) . . . remember when Texas fans hired a sky-writing plane to fly over the stadium with a 200ft banner calling for a coach to be fired . . . well why can't we do that????

Wow. I agree with the sentiment, but an all-time horrible example. How's post-Mack working?

How dare you call me....wait that was a compliment. Ok, that works ;)

To this day none of us know whether Kirk - in his own mind - takes responsibility for under-performing seasons. He's said he does in the past. But then the contract demands create a different feeling.

Lol, in other words his level pay obviously IS NOT performance based pay. Pay to NOT play opposite of our politicians. :D

Well said.

Latest posts