Poll: Will firing assistants/coordinators fix our problems

Will firing the assistants fix what ails the program?

• Yes

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • We've been down this path before

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only OC that would have any chance in changing the play style would be Brian Ferentz. We all know that Kirk will micromanage the play calls if it is anyone else. But with him as the OC I think he will have the necessary leeway to throw some wrinkles in the game plan.

The only OC that would have any chance in changing the play style would be Brian Ferentz. We all know that Kirk will micromanage the play calls if it is anyone else. But with him as the OC I think he will have the necessary leeway to throw some wrinkles in the game plan.

You're assuming he wants to change the play style. I look at him and see an acorn that hasn't fallen far from the tree. For all we know he thinks 8 wins is over-achieving like his pa, who sets the bar for excellence at 7 wins.

Its a proven fact that firing assistants and coordinators would get better results on the field immediately. Proven Fact!!!!

You're assuming he wants to change the play style. I look at him and see an acorn that hasn't fallen far from the tree. For all we know he thinks 8 wins is over-achieving like his pa, who sets the bar for excellence at 7 wins.

I don't see him as being a great offensive mind in any way, but I think he is more willing to take chances that his father hasn't let other coordinators try. I could be wrong with that but I am just basing that off of the observation of the fire he shows on the sidelines and the few interviews I have seen with him.

You sound like a stupid Nebraska fan with this poll. Be careful what you wish for......we just dominated the #15 team in the country.

Having said that, Davis is aging and needs to retire......a fresh face could help recruit some receivers

Greg Davis still needs to go. Iowa won't suddenly become a top 10 offense with whoever they hire to replace him, but even if they just get another KOK that's a hell of an upgrade

A overall offensive ranking of around 65th(middle rank) in the country likely would have gotten us 9-10 wins this year, 50th probably gets us 10-11 wins and probably a shot at Indy again..... Hell, at least get in the top Half of the Country (64th or better). Note: PSU would have still throttled us, but I wouldn't care at this point, cause we'd be getting another shot at them.

While it's rare for a KF team to ever be top 25 offense ('02 might have been an exception), '12 and '16 have been worse pt/game than '98, '99, '00. While '15 was a top 50 pt/game year, it doesn't make up for his overall offense ranking in the bottom 1% this year, and his point per game avg rank being 79th in the country over the last 5 years.

Last edited:
A overall offensive ranking of around 65th(middle rank) in the country likely would have gotten us 9-10 wins this year, 50th probably gets us 10-11 wins and probably a shot at Indy again..... Hell, at least get in the top Half of the Country (64th or better). Note: PSU would have still throttled us, but I wouldn't care at this point, cause we'd be getting another shot at them.

While it's rare for a KF team to ever be top 25 offense ('02 might have been an exception), '12 and '16 have been worse pt/game than '98, '99, '00. While '15 was a top 50 pt/game year, it doesn't make up for his overall offense ranking in the bottom 1% this year, and his point per game avg rank being 79th in the country over the last 5 years.

Agree.

What KF, and many of the fans don't seem to understand is that we are so close to having a Wisconsin, Michigan State type of program year in and year out. Yes there will be down years thrown in, but overall we could be a consistent 9 win program with the occasional jump into 10-11 wins

And it would only take some changes on the offense. Under GDGD we seem to hover in the 85-100 range for total offense. Under KOK, we were 55-70

As HW stated above, a shift of about 20 spots at min would have produced at least another win, possibly even against Wisconsin as we win that game, we win that game, we probably win the West.

We beat NDSU, we probably beat NW seeing that we give our defense a breather.....PSU...who knows, we just got blown out of the water on that one.

It also builds momentum for the team. It doesn't pin all the effort on the defense every single week, so when they do have a bad game, like against NW, the offense is more than capable of picking up the slack that day.

Instead, it's the same formula with KF. Ball control, defense.

We don't need to become the big12 for offensive numbers, we just need to be better than we have been under KF.

And the fact that KF refuses to change his philosophy, tells me he really doesn't see a 120th ranked offense as being an issue

Latest posts