Poll: Will firing assistants/coordinators fix our problems

Will firing the assistants fix what ails the program?

• Yes

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • We've been down this path before

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Firing Davis would help, Kirk making the hire will hurt. If we bring in new coordinators it's only going to give Kirk an excuse why the offense isn't clicking, etc. etc. coach talk.
Welcome back to football apathy.

I don't know, but firing Greg Davis couldn't hurt.

Really? Ferentz hired him knowing his history. Anything Davis does now has the approval of Ferentz because he is the head coach and in charge. If you think that Ferentz will let another offensive coordinator come in and shake things up then you are the mayor of Crazytown.

Of course Mac Brown used him as an excuse a year or two before he himself got fired. Maybe that's why Ferentz hired him, scapegoat experience. :(

Really? Ferentz hired him knowing his history. Anything Davis does now has the approval of Ferentz because he is the head coach and in charge. If you think that Ferentz will let another offensive coordinator come in and shake things up then you are the mayor of Crazytown.

Of course Mac Brown used him as an excuse a year or two before he himself got fired. Maybe that's why Ferentz hired him, scapegoat experience. :(

LMAO!!!! That's the ticket we need to get an experience scapegoat so KF can deflect the criticism toward Greg.

HEY don't be talking GOAT with the Cubs now in the World Series. Maybe that's what the problem is. It's that damn goat. It's not a scapegoat it's an escape goat. Some clown fan stole it from the Chicago area and dumped it somewhere in Iowa City. Eno got KF's goat up. :eek:

So we can bring in Chip Kelly to do the same thing we are doing now...

Don't get me wrong as I'm ok with Davis going but anyone who is under the belief that we will not see more of the same with a new guy i feel bad for you/them. Except if it's Brian possibly because he's the only guy that seems to have any latitude or influence with KF. Not sure that's good or bad just saying anyone else will be a hired puppet.

Last edited:
Firing the assistant's will do nothing. Hiring an OC that can run a pro style, zone blocking, scheme effectively would do wonders.

A Bill O'Brian / Paul Chryst type would be magnificent. They both ran/run pro style, run first schemes and use the skill they had/have.

Despite all other deficiencies, Greg Davis will ultimately be Kirk's undoing.

Firing the assistant's will do nothing. Hiring an OC that can run a pro style, zone blocking, scheme effectively would do wonders.

A Bill O'Brian / Paul Chryst type would be magnificent. They both ran/run pro style, run first schemes and use the skill they had/have.

Despite all other deficiencies, Greg Davis will ultimately be Kirk's undoing.

Agree completely. A new OC can certainly lead to better production. See Norm's defense's vs Phil defense's. If you don't think it makes a difference, you simply don't know football.

Reactions: DJL
Who are potential candidates

Levar Woods - started out as LB coach then strangely got moved to TE, and stayed at TE even when Jim Ried left. TE seems to be getting worse with no development by underclassmen, except for Fant. I am starting to wonder if Woods is any good. He could be a serious candidate for firing, but maybe he does a lot of stuuf that fans don't know about.

Seth wallace- its hard to replace somebody like Jim Ried and this was only Wallace 1st year really. So he gets a pass.

Phil parker - defense is not really the problem. unless you can get a superstar, or maybe Jim Ried, to replace him, he is probably safe. Been around forever though if you are looking to dump old timers.

Reese Morgan - decent coach and good at finding hidden under-valued recruits. Also been around forever though, if you are looking to dump the old timers. I am guessing he is safe.

Chris white - Iowa should be happy with special teams and running backs. A lot of the special teams screwups have gone away, kickers have been solid. RBby committee has been working, for the most part. He should be safe.

Brian Ferentz - Iowa's OL consistently gets high grades, but some reason they don't look that great. But fir obvious reasons he is safe.

Kennedy/Davis. - I almost think of them as a package deal. If one goes, the other should go with him. WR is clearly the weakest part of the team. Kennedy would be the obvious scapegoat, and he has been around long enough, he can't use the excuse that he is new.

Conclusion. kennedy will be the scapegoat, and get fired. Davis at that point, will just retire. Or vice versa. Davis will retire and then Kennedy will quit too.

No, but if we go 6-6 or worse next season, he'd have to fire one or two for appearances.

I agree that at least one scagegoat will "retire" or move laterally to another program. Will it be next season? Rob seems to think it will happen at the end of this season.

I would say almost everyone in the fanbase would feel better if he were fired. I wouldn't be surprised if he "retired" after this season. It would be killing two birds with one stone (and WTH do people want to kill birds? smh). Davis takes the blame for 2016 and a son get's moved into position to take over for the father eventually.

No. The rudder steering the ship is the primary force. Anything else is a minor impact.

I would still support dumping Davis and Kennedy, though. Can't hurt!

Again, people want to see blood. And most have decided it will never be Kirk's, so let's find someone close to the source we can bleed. I understand that impulse. I'm trying to resist it.

So we can bring in Chip Kelly to do the same thing we are doing now...

Don't get me wrong as I'm ok with Davis going but anyone who is under the belief that we will not see more of the same with a new guy i feel bad for you/them. Except if it's Brian possibly because he's the only guy that seems to have any latitude or influence with KF. Not sure that's good or bad just saying anyone else will be a hired puppet.
I think we would still see the same conservative approach, but I'm just saying it couldn't hurt, because our quarterbacks regress in this system, the receivers outside of MV and RM seem to have no idea what they are doing, and the play calling is often so bad it makes me long for the days of KOK. Yeah, I said it, so what? As much as everyone blamed Ken, he was a step up from Greg. The only way it could hurt is if he found a guy that is actually worse than Davis. Maybe someone who worked for CPR or something.

Latest posts