Poll: Tyler Cook's Future

Does he declare for the draft and forego his senior year at Iowa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't get how some don't see how valuable Cook is to this team. Sure he has some holes in his game, but he is the biggest reason why we went into OT vs Tennessee. He was the only player on the court would could even come close to matching the athleticism of Tenn. and it seemed like when he came out and punch Tenn. back (figuratively speaking) to start the 2nd half, Tenn. wilted a bit.
Sports reference just realeased the stats for yesterday’s game. Tyler was 2nd to last of our 9 rotation players in offensive rating and 2nd to last in defensive rating.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2019-03-24-12-tennessee.html

Again, obviously I want him back but despite a good 8 minute run to begin the 2H he’s struggling lately.

and I wouldn't read it. Took em nearly an entire season to stop reading social media. If you're distracted by outside noise... you're doing it wrong.
Yup, that was one of the few problems I have with the players themselves (though it does reflect poorly on Fran), was their presence on social media.

Part of the reason why I somewhat appreciate Kirk's Twitter ban.

You should really learn English before you give someone shit about his or her hair. Are you trying to make a funny in the style of an old timey telegraph message?

At least learn when to use “a” and “the,” for F’s sake. If you’ve had a head injury or you’re 4 years old that’s the only way you’re going to get a pass. Otherwise your joke backfired, Skippy.

When you’re trying to be funny it’s all in the delivery, and you failed miserably. Write your next one down in a notebook first, and practice it a few times before you hit post. At least ride your bike over to mom’s and have her proofread it first.

You’re welcome.[/QUO
You should really learn English before you give someone shit about his or her hair. Are you trying to make a funny in the style of an old timey telegraph message?

At least learn when to use “a” and “the,” for F’s sake. If you’ve had a head injury or you’re 4 years old that’s the only way you’re going to get a pass. Otherwise your joke backfired, Skippy.

When you’re trying to be funny it’s all in the delivery, and you failed miserably. Write your next one down in a notebook first, and practice it a few times before you hit post. At least ride your bike over to mom’s and have her proofread it first.

You’re welcome.
OKay, Mr.Perfect! Mr know it all..... You are perfect , freaking perfect! You're a god!

You’re welcome.
You're a perfect god, Everyone should bow down to you. For your information, Your English has several mistakes in all your posts. you know why? I used Grammarly daily for all my English. Mine doesn't. You should try proofread your post! before you even tell anyone else to proofread theirs. You're way overhead your small brain. If I was your professor in my English 101, you get an F!
giphy.gif

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-25_13-54-0.png
    upload_2019-3-25_13-54-0.png
    544.7 KB · Views: 9
You're a perfect god, Everyone should bow down to you. For your information, Your English has several mistakes in all your posts. you know why? I used Grammarly daily for all my English. Mine doesn't. You should try proofread your post! before you even tell anyone else to proofread theirs. You're way overhead your small brain. If I was your professor in my English 101, you get an F!
giphy.gif
3-25-2019 1-01-17 PM.jpg
Grammarly didn't even catch everything.

I don't get how some don't see how valuable Cook is to this team. Sure he has some holes in his game, but he is the biggest reason why we went into OT vs Tennessee. He was the only player on the court would could even come close to matching the athleticism of Tenn. and it seemed like when he came out and punch Tenn. back (figuratively speaking) to start the 2nd half, Tenn. wilted a bit.
I've been in this camp most of the time but I'm starting to waiver. Also, I'll have to watch the second half again but I'm thinking Weezy may have ruled the roost. TC certainly lit the fire though.

my guess is he's leaving, maybe play in Europe...I have had multiple classes with me and that man really hates school(albeit just like the rest of us)

He had a good 8 minute stretch from the start of the 2nd half to the under 12 timeout, that's it. His +/- for the tourney as a whole had to be something like -30....it was that bad.

Ultimately, I'd rather have a less skilled player that busts his ass for 28-30 mins (see Nic Baer), than a highly gifted one that gives his all for about 8 mins.

giphy.gif

sometimes I whiff on sarcasm and lord knows I'll never be a grammar police type, but that was one of the hardest paragraphs I've ever read.

He had a good 8 minute stretch from the start of the 2nd half to the under 12 timeout, that's it. His +/- for the tourney as a whole had to be something like -30....it was that bad.

Ultimately, I'd rather have a less skilled player that busts his ass for 28-30 mins (see Nic Baer), than a highly gifted one that gives his all for about 8 mins.

2nd half started with a Cook rebound, then him going cost to cost with a spin move layup. 2nd time down the floor Cook goes to the hoop and draws a blocking foul (makes both FT). Couple possessions later Cook does the drive and left handed dunk and 1 (makes the FT). Next possession Cook drives on the left side and goes under the basket to the right side lay in. He scored the 1st 9 points of the second half for Iowa and totally reset the tenor and tone of the game.

I really don't get how people can't see what he brings to the game. If that was Weiskamp or Jordan who opened up the half with the 1st 9 points, people would totally give them credit for turning the game around, but since it was Cook, he gets no credit, he is a bum and we are better off without him. It blows my mind really.

2nd half started with a Cook rebound, then him going cost to cost with a spin move layup. 2nd time down the floor Cook goes to the hoop and draws a blocking foul (makes both FT). Couple possessions later Cook does the drive and left handed dunk and 1 (makes the FT). Next possession Cook drives on the left side and goes under the basket to the right side lay in. He scored the 1st 9 points of the second half for Iowa and totally reset the tenor and tone of the game.

I really don't get how people can't see what he brings to the game. If that was Weiskamp or Jordan who opened up the half with the 1st 9 points, people would totally give them credit for turning the game around, but since it was Cook, he gets no credit, he is a bum and we are better off without him. It blows my mind really.
Later in the 2H he missed a dunk, missed a simple put back, and couldn’t secure a defensive rebound off a free throw. In OT he had a TO and missed 3 strait free throws. Had he not been out there in the 1H Iowa probably would have only been down 10-15 instead of 25, he was that bad in the 1H.

TC had an offensive rating of 80 against Cincinnati and 74 against Tennessee, which are both horrendous outputs. 100 is average. His defense wasn’t a great deal better.

I’m not saying he’s a bum or we want him gone, I’m just telling you he played two horrible games in the tournament. He can be a beast at times (as you mentioned) but struggles mightily many others.

Unsurprisingly he ranks 6th on our team in box +/- which aligns with the eye test most of us are seeing. Baer ranks 1st. He ranks 5th in WS/40. 3rd in PER. So advanced stats would tell us he’s not necessarily the best player, despite leading us in points and rebounds. Given his sheer athletic talent, I don’t think it’s surprising that some people find his play disappointing at times. Again, I still want him back and think he will improve, I just think he had a tough couple games and still has his deficiencies which most fans can see.

Random thought. If Cook has the awareness to gather himself, pump fake and go up, rather than going up quick and getting swatted, Williams probably fouls out in regulation. That could have completely changed the game as Williams dominated OT.

Later in the 2H he missed a dunk, missed a simple put back, and couldn’t secure a defensive rebound off a free throw. In OT he had a TO and missed 3 strait free throws. Had he not been out there in the 1H Iowa probably would have only been down 10-15 instead of 25, he was that bad in the 1H.

TC had an offensive rating of 80 against Cincinnati and 74 against Tennessee, which are both horrendous outputs. 100 is average. His defense wasn’t a great deal better.

I’m not saying he’s a bum or we want him gone, I’m just telling you he played two horrible games in the tournament. He can be a beast at times (as you mentioned) but struggles mightily many others.

Unsurprisingly he ranks 6th on our team in box +/- which aligns with the eye test most of us are seeing. Baer ranks 1st. He ranks 5th in WS/40. 3rd in PER. So advanced stats would tell us he’s not necessarily the best player, despite leading us in points and rebounds. Given his sheer athletic talent, I don’t think it’s surprising that some people find his play disappointing at times. Again, I still want him back and think he will improve, I just think he had a tough couple games and still has his deficiencies which most fans can see.

You think Cook is the reason we were down 25 at half? Cause if you think one person is responsible for a 25 point deficit, it really is pointless to continue this discussion.

Random thought. If Cook has the awareness to gather himself, pump fake and go up, rather than going up quick and getting swatted, Williams probably fouls out in regulation. That could have completely changed the game as Williams dominated OT.

I can't recall a single instance in his 3 years here where he's had to use the pump fake. Guys that have grown up being able to physically dominate don't tend to develop that....which is unfortunate because even on his takes from the top of the key to the hoop, if he'd just jump stop and let guys fly by, he'd be able to just lay it in or get fouled....

You think Cook is the reason we were down 25 at half? Cause if you think one person is responsible for a 25 point deficit, it really is pointless to continue this discussion.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say that...at all. Why is it that if someone is arguing a point contrary to someone else's, it's okay now to just put words in someone's mouth or completely misrepresent what they say?

1. There isn't a replacement for Tyler cook in April. You leave the spot open for him.

2. Everybody with NBA aspirations should be getting all of the feedback they can.

3. He's been in the system for 3 years. What else does he have to learn at this point? If he hasn't learned it yet he's not going to. Part of testing the NBA draft is playing against other very high level players and becoming a better player.

I think this is a remarkably dumb take.
1. No, but there's an open roster spot/scholarship if he leaves that's WAY more useful in April than it is in May or June or July.

2. Feedback? "You've gotten worse between your junior and sophomore years. Why do you think you're NOW ready for the NBA?" There's all the feedback he needs.

3. Exactly. You may not realize it, but you agree with me. If he thinks that being a pro is his primary concern and not figuring out why he's getting worse, then by all means he should go get his money. But GO already. Stop dancing around and hurting this team that's going to play in this place whether he's in Iowa City or Armenia (and those are pretty much the only two choices right now).

Just because you don't understand the take doesn't make it a dumb take. I can't understand it for you.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say that...at all. Why is it that if someone is arguing a point contrary to someone else's, it's okay now to just put words in someone's mouth or completely misrepresent what they say?

He said Iowa would be down 10 or 15 points without Cook, implying that he is responsible for 10-15 of the 25 point deficit himself.

No I didn’t say that. But even disregarding that care to respond to any of the things I brought I my post? My guess is you don’t want to go there.

Latest posts