Poll: Tyler Cook's Future

Does he declare for the draft and forego his senior year at Iowa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Iowa played mostly zone in the 1H.

Again, the reason people are frustrated with Cook is because he is supposed to be our best player and he had an extremely tough month of March. In 7 games, he averaged under double digits on 35.7% from the floor. That’s bad.

That doesn’t mean that other guys didn’t have bad moments or don’t have their own deficiencies. Also, I’m not the only person calling out Cook. You’re trying to turn this argument now into something it’s not. Cook had a bad stretch, but most people on here would prefer to have him back.

This argument somehow turned from Cook was a beast in the 2H comeback and the only guy to create for himself on this team to now something about other guys suck and nobody calls them on it. Cook gets held to a higher standard, but that’s what happens when you consider yourself the guy. It’s really not that hard to figure out.

So Cook going 0-5 and playing zone defense created a 10-15 pt deficit for Iowa, but Wieskamp going 0-4 and playing zone defense didn't?

At least you are admitting the only reason you are saying what you are saying is because of a double standard. If you listened to post game interviews Cook knows he isn't playing his best. Jordan started the season in a shooting slump, heck he only shot 38% this year which is way down for him. Garza hit a really tough stretch, Wieskamp has struggled some, and God knows Moss struggles. All I am saying is the vitriol is only for Cook for some reason (I'm not saying it is only you, it is all over). Others can give all the "reason's" they want for why, but the fact is the vitriol is only dished out for Cook, that is simply a fact.

So Cook going 0-5 and playing zone defense created a 10-15 pt deficit for Iowa, but Wieskamp going 0-4 and playing zone defense didn't?

At least you are admitting the only reason you are saying what you are saying is because of a double standard. If you listened to post game interviews Cook knows he isn't playing his best. Jordan started the season in a shooting slump, heck he only shot 38% this year which is way down for him. Garza hit a really tough stretch, Wieskamp has struggled some, and God knows Moss struggles. All I am saying is the vitriol is only for Cook for some reason (I'm not saying it is only you, it is all over). Others can give all the "reason's" they want for why, but the fact is the vitriol is only dished out for Cook, that is simply a fact.
Garza took tons of criticism when he was struggling and especially his poor defense, heck I was right there. Moss’s Houdini acts get ripped all the time. Bohannon gets ripped for his defense. Wieskamp is pretty immune to getting ripped you are probably onto something there, although he is a freshman.

It just so happens that Cook was playing the worst ball of his career over the last month, and played bad in both tournament games. I’m not sure why you are so surprised that people are unhappy with it.

The difference is Joe W was taking shots he normally takes within the offense which weren’t falling. TC was shooting fall away jumpers and then loafing it back on defense.

I still don't know where you are getting the "only for Cook" angle. You would think Bohannon was the worst player on the team from reading this board. Garza was getting it pretty bad during his slump. Maybe not as bad as Cook is now, but a lot of that has to do with how hard he tries. If Cook gave max effort while struggling it wouldn't be as bad.

Instead we have a guy who was the best player on the team for 1 and 2/3 years, talking about leaving for the NBA this whole time (this part makes it worse) who suddenly becomes a net negative for the team while giving little to no effort. The window between where Cook is capable of playing and where he has been playing is by far the biggest on the team. Of course there is a double standard. We sure aren't going to get on Ash for not helping the team. That example is to show one side of the spectrum. Cook is on the other side because he's supposed to be the best player.

Garza took tons of criticism when he was struggling and especially his poor defense, heck I was right there. Moss’s Houdini acts get ripped all the time. Bohannon gets ripped for his defense. Wieskamp is pretty immune to getting ripped you are probably onto something there, although he is a freshman.

It just so happens that Cook was playing the worst ball of his career over the last month, and played bad in both tournament games. I’m not sure why you are so surprised that people are unhappy with it.

Wieskamp probably doesn't get ripped because he's a freshman who hasn't played long enough for his bad tendencies to annoy us. His biggest flaw is lazy turnovers. If he doesn't clean those up by his junior year, he will be getting ripped on pretty bad for them.

Wieskamp probably doesn't get ripped because he's a freshman who hasn't played long enough for his bad tendencies to annoy us. His biggest flaw is lazy turnovers. If he doesn't clean those up by his junior year, he will be getting ripped on pretty bad for them.
The thing that frustrated me is he jumps at every single pump fake.

His numbers against Cincinnati were unreal, not to mention hitting that monster three point shot near the end. Although he didn’t have his shot against Tennessee he played hard, hit the boards, got a steal. That’s what you like to see when your shot isn’t going down.

Listen to the Miller and Deace podcast, seems like Jon is parroting my take. Cook is hurt on this team because NOBODY else can create their own shot. He is forced to try to create and as Jon said I’ll guarantee he is coached to be aggressive because he is the only player we got that can do it.

Listen Cook isn’t perfect and frankly I don’t think we miss a beat without him NEXT year. Yet this year he tried to do things he was coached and told to do, because it helped open up everyone else’s game. I think the Tennessee game was a prime example. Nobody on Iowa could get anything going until Cook came out and started the 2nd half attacking Tenn. That set the tone, and opened up his teammates to then do what they do after that.

I've said this before, but it belongs here: I want ZERO NBA talk from him. Either he wants to come back and he comes back, or he doesn't and he goes. No "testing the waters". No "I'm not hiring an agent". No one believes that he'd get drafted this year, so it's just a dalliance. Either he commits to getting better in the offseason, or he goes. No more games.

Why do those have to be mutually exclusive? He needs to improve on range, rebounding, and defense, which of those is bad for the Hawks?

Listen to the Miller and Deace podcast, seems like Jon is parroting my take. Cook is hurt on this team because NOBODY else can create their own shot. He is forced to try to create and as Jon said I’ll guarantee he is coached to be aggressive because he is the only player we got that can do it.

Listen Cook isn’t perfect and frankly I don’t think we miss a beat without him NEXT year. Yet this year he tried to do things he was coached and told to do, because it helped open up everyone else’s game. I think the Tennessee game was a prime example. Nobody on Iowa could get anything going until Cook came out and started the 2nd half attacking Tenn. That set the tone, and opened up his teammates to then do what they do after that.
Did Cook play good or bad in the NCAA tournament?

Did Cook play good or bad in the NCAA tournament?

Not his best, and he would tell you the same. That has NEVER been your point. You were saying that Cook was the reason for 10-15 points of their deficit against Tenn. in the 1st half. Other have said throughout the year we would have been better without Cook. You said we would have been 10-15 points better without Cook in the 1st half. That is nonsense, or Monday morning QBing (every player has off halfs).

Not his best, and he would tell you the same. That has NEVER been your point. You were saying that Cook was the reason for 10-15 points of their deficit against Tenn. in the 1st half. Other have said throughout the year we would have been better without Cook. You said we would have been 10-15 points better without Cook in the 1st half. That is nonsense, or Monday morning QBing (every player has off halfs).
Cook was the worst player on the floor in the 1H. He was horrendous. You’ve stuck onto the 10-15 points thing which I figured you would. I’m honestly okay with that, I really think he was that bad in that first half.

This discussion has been so much more than that. In my second reply to you I literally talked about how he hasn’t been playing well as of late. Later I included his March stats. I even included his season long advanced stats compared to other players, and why some fans are disappointed with his play considering many think he’s our best player.

The reason I asked how he played in the tournament is because I’m confused as to why you are surprised he’s taking some heat. Iowa beat Cincy in spite of Cook, he was horrendous. Then he followed that up with a horrible 1H against Tennessee. That’s on top of a terrible stretch of games this month. It’s really not that hard to figure out why people are getting on him.

That doesn’t mean he’s not a talent. That doesn’t mean he didn’t bring things to this team that others can’t. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t a big part of our success. It just means he’s been playing terrible ball for the last month, which is sad because that’s the most important time of the year.

TC is a mixed bag, led the team in scoring, rebounding, and turnovers, 92. Worst FT percentage among starters 64%, no outside shot beyond 6 feet of the basket. Body language after the Tennessee game - he's leaving (either G League or Europe). If he does leave, that takes a lot of pressure off McCaffrey and Barta. Most fans will understand if we don't finish higher in the conference or don't make the NCAA tourney next season.

He didn't do himself any favors in this tourney.

Such crude musings attached to a simple yes or no answer. I almost didn't answer the poll because I find it distasteful to choose yes for gone by the given reason of "he hates school". All the same, I believe he is gone.

Such crude musings attached to a simple yes or no answer. I almost didn't answer the poll because I find it distasteful to choose yes for gone by the given reason of "he hates school". All the same, I believe he is gone.
Aww, so you think he hates school. ;)

TC is a mixed bag, led the team in scoring, rebounding, and turnovers, 92. Worst FT percentage among starters 64%, no outside shot beyond 6 feet of the basket. Body language after the Tennessee game - he's leaving (either G League or Europe). If he does leave, that takes a lot of pressure off McCaffrey and Barta. Most fans will understand if we don't finish higher in the conference or don't make the NCAA tourney next season.

I expect improvement next year, regardless. Regressing to an NIT team... Yikes. Don't want to even think about it.

If Cook goes - it would be a loss, but if that alone means we can't make the dance, then it doesn't say much for the rest of the team Fran put together.

As for his body language after the TN game - maybe I'm wrong but I think people are psychoanalyzing that too much. Could just be a reaction after a painful loss.

Cook was the worst player on the floor in the 1H. He was horrendous. You’ve stuck onto the 10-15 points thing which I figured you would. I’m honestly okay with that, I really think he was that bad in that first half.

This discussion has been so much more than that. In my second reply to you I literally talked about how he hasn’t been playing well as of late. Later I included his March stats. I even included his season long advanced stats compared to other players, and why some fans are disappointed with his play considering many think he’s our best player.

The reason I asked how he played in the tournament is because I’m confused as to why you are surprised he’s taking some heat. Iowa beat Cincy in spite of Cook, he was horrendous. Then he followed that up with a horrible 1H against Tennessee. That’s on top of a terrible stretch of games this month. It’s really not that hard to figure out why people are getting on him.

That doesn’t mean he’s not a talent. That doesn’t mean he didn’t bring things to this team that others can’t. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t a big part of our success. It just means he’s been playing terrible ball for the last month, which is sad because that’s the most important time of the year.

Dean is lumping us into the group of people who think he sucks and we will be better without him. All we are saying is a pretty good player had a really bad stretch of basketball that hurt the team really bad.

Latest posts