Poll: Is KF helping or hurting his legacy?

Do you think KF is helping or hurting his legacy at this point?

• Helping

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Hurting

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Neither- staying the same

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters
Hard to say if he's helping or hurting as he's building a resume. Fry was most definitely at the end of his career the last 2-3 seasons. Energy level, decision-making.....anyone who followed the Hawks at that time knew and understood what was happening. I dont think that is the case with Ferentz right now. Yes, i like coach, but nothing right now feels like the end of the Fry era. I think, if anything, the needle is pointing up as far as the upcoming next 2-4 seasons. If there are 6-6 or 5-7 seasons in there, probably more than one, id say youll see the end of the KF era, but, i dont see that happening. I see an uptick in recruiting and energy.
Having Tavian Banks and Tim Dwight pop up in or near his back yard at the same time, along with Sedrick Shaw probably added five years to Hayden's career. I would have loved to see Hayden ride into the sunset after the 1995 sun bowl but:

He kept his promise to be there for Dwight and Banks.
He didn't want to leave his replacement in a recruiting lurch by staying on through a bowl.
The conference was gearing back up after a transition period that saw the departure of John Cooper, Bo Schembechler, George Perles, John Mackovich and others.

He knew it was time in 1998 for several reasons, including health. Just like Barry Alvarez knew it was time after 2004 and set the plan in place to have Bret Bielema replace him one season later.

This may have been done / covered before, but it's the off-season...

To me, KF's legacy would have been better if he left (to the NFL, or retired, etc) after 2009.

Every year since then just dilutes 4 Top-10's and a Top-25 in 8 years.

Yes, there have been lots of wins in the 8 years since then, but 1 Top-10, no Top-25's, and 2-5 in bowls obviously falls way short of those previous 8.
I would say he helped his legacy by naming Beathard the starter in January or should I say CJ's dad helped Kirk's legacy by giving a radio interview.
Without CJB where would he be?That 12 win run was. Worth its weight in GOLD?

Any more votes?

Still seems like many of you voted as if the question is "will he be remembered as one of Iowa's best coaches or not?" rather than "how high will that final mark be?"

Sorry but we do know. It ain’t happening while KF is coach. To think other wise is lunacy.
yesthisisdog.jpg
Yes, i will coach you to a national championship. Sounds like it should be easy in Iowa City with all of the titles that all of the other coac......uhh....crrrrrr......you...crrrrrr......you're......crrrrr....break...crrr.....ing....crrrr.....up. Whew. That was close. No win job there. Spoiled unreasonable fanbase. Add to blocked numbers. Hello, Wisconsin, yes, this is dog.

View attachment 3399
Yes, i will coach you to a national championship. Sounds like it should be easy in Iowa City with all of the titles that all of the other coac......uhh....crrrrrr......you...crrrrrr......you're......crrrrr....break...crrr.....ing....crrrr.....up. Whew. That was close. No win job there. Spoiled unreasonable fanbase. Add to blocked numbers. Hello, Wisconsin, yes, this is dog.
giphy.gif

Just keep in mind what Hayden said about the Iowa fan base when he first got here.

He took a football program that was in the sewer and built it up to the third best program in the conference. Health issues eventually took their toll on his recruiting and the loss of several assistant coaches who went on to be very successful coaches of their own programs.

Hey Kirk how many coaches have left you to go on to be successful coaches? Your a very lucky man to get to add power houses Maryland and Rutgers to your schedule and the pathetic nonconference teams you schedule to pad your stats. Let’s also forget to mention that Notre Dame, Michigan, and Nebraska have been down programs for several years. They were power house programs when Hayden came in. He had to recruit against them.

Do we want to talk about comparable salaries for Hayden and his assistants and how Bowl revenue was what sustained the program back in Hayden’s era not the 60 million dollar gifts from the BTN.

So why am I bringing this up? I guess with all things consider I expect more given the circumstances mentioned above. If the program was never expected to compete at the highest level then why were salaries given that dictated otherwise? I mean it would be terrible to pay someone 2.5 million a year to come into Iowa City and win an average of six games a year. Beat the three nobody teams and then go 3-6 in the conference. Damn that’s 1.5 million a year for that one extra win. I know my major in college was accounting and business law but a damn fourth grader could do the math on that one.

To think some are suggesting a repeat by eventually replacing him with his son. God help us all.

Prove me wrong Brian. Build this offense up to compete at the highest level. I will then gladly admit I am wrong. Believe me when I say gladly. No one wants to see it more than I do after following this program for over fifty years. I just can’t imagine watching ten or more years of this boring, uncreative style of offense. Greg and Todd must have both came out of the offensive school of thought in football and basketball, respectively. We will all soon know if Greg was really the blame or if the ole man just brought Greg in to be a scapegoat goat.

How many national titles does Wisconsin have since 1998? Kansas State? Notre Dame? Michigan? Penn State? Michigan State? Nebraska? Texas A&M? UCLA? Stanford? Washington? Georgia? Oklahoma State? Baylor?

Schools with one title in KF era.
Miami, Fla - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Auburn - 1
Clemson - 1
Tennessee - 1
Texas - 1

National titles would be great, but the party requires clearance at a level that is nearly impossible to achieve. Make an argument for which team Iowa should be competing with toe to toe on the list of titles since 1998. There are obvious recruiting advantages for Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, LSU, USC and they win the majority of titles. Ohio State has 2 titles during KF era, everyone else is shut out. To judge a big ten football coach on national titles indicts all coaches in the past 20 yrs except a cheater and a coach with 3 titles on his resume.

Its ok to WANT a title but......id seriously like a lot of things ill never see but im not going to call out ed mcmahon, the lottery officials or Eva Mendez on a daily basis for not having what i think i deserve. Get real. Id love Wisconsins success of the last 15 yrs . No question. Something we can say should be attainable. But they have zero national titles in this era. I doubt anyone here would then be truly satisfied with that level either. Also fine. But reality is we have some clear disadvantages in many areas that it would appear that many other schools without national titles also have. Imagine how youd feel if you were a fan of the schools in the first list of non-title holders i presented.

How many national titles does Wisconsin have since 1998? Kansas State? Notre Dame? Michigan? Penn State? Michigan State? Nebraska? Texas A&M? UCLA? Stanford? Washington? Georgia? Oklahoma State? Baylor?

Schools with one title in KF era.
Miami, Fla - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Auburn - 1
Clemson - 1
Tennessee - 1
Texas - 1

National titles would be great, but the party requires clearance at a level that is nearly impossible to achieve. Make an argument for which team Iowa should be competing with toe to toe on the list of titles since 1998. There are obvious recruiting advantages for Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, LSU, USC and they win the majority of titles. Ohio State has 2 titles during KF era, everyone else is shut out. To judge a big ten football coach on national titles indicts all coaches in the past 20 yrs except a cheater and a coach with 3 titles on his resume.

Its ok to WANT a title but......id seriously like a lot of things ill never see but im not going to call out ed mcmahon, the lottery officials or Eva Mendez on a daily basis for not having what i think i deserve. Get real. Id love Wisconsins success of the last 15 yrs . No question. Something we can say should be attainable. But they have zero national titles in this era. I doubt anyone here would then be truly satisfied with that level either. Also fine. But reality is we have some clear disadvantages in many areas that it would appear that many other schools without national titles also have. Imagine how youd feel if you were a fan of the schools in the first list of non-title holders i presented.
giphy.gif

Seriously?

Who did he "pow!", exactly? Himself?

A long post saying it's crazy to think Iowa should be winning titles...

Guess what? We're near the end of page 4 of this thread and NOBODY has claimed they should be winning titles! For that matter, I also don't remember that claim being in any other recent threads.

Seriously?

Guess what? We're near the end of page 4 of this thread and NOBODY has claimed they should be winning titles! For that matter, I also don't remember that claim being in any other recent threads.
I just felt like posting a gif from Step Brothers

giphy.gif

Lol, I think we just found dumb and dumber. Show me where I used the term National Title in my comments. Competing at the highest level would be winning our own division every other year and then just once out of every three times we play for the conferences title and win it. That would make us relevant and show we can compete at the highest level. I am not asking for 11-1 every season but there is no reason considering what teams we have in OUR division that 9-3 can’t be the norm.

duh................ I like 7-5???? Your favorite cheer must be “We’re number two or three in our division!!!” “We’re number two or three in our division.” COME ON HAWK FANS join this glorious chant! “We number two or three in our division!!!” “We’re number two or three in our division!!!”

Do you go through Ames every day and drink out of the toilets there? You sound just like them. Rationalizing and justifying. Hayden said the fan base had a loser’s mind set when he got here. Apparently some of those people are still around or had children.

Last edited:
Lol, I think we just found dumb and dumber. Show me where I used the term National Title in my comments. Competing at the highest level would be winning our own division every other year and then just once out of every three times we play for the conferences title and win it. That would make us relevant and show we can compete at the highest level. I am not asking for 11-1 every season but there is no reason considering what teams we have in OUR division that 9-3 can’t be the norm.

duh................ I like 7-5???? Your favorite cheer must be “We’re number two or three in our division!!!” “We’re number two or three in our division.” COME ON HAWK FANS join this glorious chant! “We number two or three in our division!!!” “We’re number two or three in our division!!!”

Do you go through Ames every day and drink out of the toilets there? You sound just like them. Rationalizing and justifying. Hayden said the fan base had a loser’s mind set when he got here. Apparently some of those people are still around or had children.
If you READ, youd see that you fall in the category of hoping to be like Wisconsin. Reading is not hard. I clearly referenced "hoping for better, but not national titles." VERY clearly.

Seriously?

Right. Lets try to win as many games as possible. So you just want what any fan wants. So if one were to look at Iowa being considered a top 25-30 all-time program, thats clearly not good enough for you, but we should be better than which of these schools....
1. Alabama
2. USC
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. Florida
7. Florida State
8. Miami, Fla
9. LSU
10. Texas
11. UCLA
12. Penn State
13. Oklahoma
14. Auburn
15. Georgia
16. Clemson

Then...
Wisconsin, Washington, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Tennessee, Stanford, Baylor, Nebraska, Texas A&M, etc

So....we're number 17? Is that a cheer? I can accept wanting to be "more like" the teams from 17 to 30....but....ok. Congratulations? A few more wins here and there. Great! Ill take a few more wins. So.....no titles though right? Slightly better bowl game. Extra Saturday that im happier here and there. For all of the b@tching that people do, this program has competed quite successfully on the national level the past almost 40 yrs. Enjoy it. Want for more, sure, but be realistic. Give me ANY advantage or equal playing field that Iowa has to attract the stars that we would need to change our lot in life. The ONLY factor would be a better recruiter. What exactly is the sell on Iowa over ANY of the 25 schools listed above? Geography? Tradition? Big city attractions? Sweet cornfields? Festively cold winters? Ill take more wins, but to sit here and whine and moan all the time is just kicking the can down the road. The next greatest thing isnt waiting for an opportunity to coach IOWA.

If you take out the 1st two rebuild years we have avg'd 8.4 wins per year over the past 17 seasons.

Latest posts