Poll: Is KF helping or hurting his legacy?

Do you think KF is helping or hurting his legacy at this point?

• Helping

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Hurting

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Neither- staying the same

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters
Do any of you know what break the rock means?
First you must have a baseline, an average.
You run ____ fast. You build ____ amount a day. You sell____ amount.
You win_____ amount per year.
Iowa's rock is 7.5, like it or not. Could be better, could be 8.5. Could be worse and be 6.5.
But it is what it is.
You can throw all kinds of numbers at it and prove or disprove whatever argument you like, but once we break the rock and get to 9ish, that means on any given year we could win a NC.
I would say our average (combined with points lost by) demonstrates we are closer to breaking the rock then we are not. We just have to take the next step forward.
People harp on other teams who can't be happy with 9 win seasons and we are on the cusp of that.
I don't want 10 years of winning 3, then win a NC, then 10 more of winning 3.
I want for when we get there, we stay there, and that unlike every other time when people say "every once and awhile Iowa", I want them to concede that Iowa has arrived and came to play. No more once and awhile. No more Iowa is good for 1 upset a year. No more being the thorn in the side.

Last edited:
Fund raise really well.

That is his legacy. What is he going to do different in the next few seasons?
Things that will enhance or hurt?
First time I've seen "fund raise" as a consideration.

What about BF? Any enhance / hurt potential?

Has KF earned the right for BF to carry on the 7.5 win tradition?

I think the key is if Ken O stays around. Didn't win any bowl games in his absence and when he comes back POOF we win a bowl game. With some coaching changes and recruiting on the upswing maybe we get surprised and the needle moves positive. Imo opinion KF is at least above average. Fry never won a National Championship and look at how everybody feels about him. The expectations weren't as high for Fry. After having success naturally when KF takes over things should surpass Fry.........correct? I'm going out on a limb here and will say BF will do pretty good at OC and help his dad's legacy.

Voted neither. I'm pretty ambivalent about KF. Unless he makes a major run or a major collapse it won't change.

I voted helping. For starters I doubt if the team is going to tank. The main thing is we will know sooner than later if they are going to put together anything impressive with the coaching changes. We are going into the the second and third year for this changes on offense. Recruiting on the defensive side seems to be holding up. They have a ratio of about two good years on defense for every one mediocre year.

There are plenty of question marks so another year of the same old wouldn't surprise a bit. I also think the chances of taking another run at it in the next two years is about even. I see potential at most positions. The only one I have a great deal of doubt about the outside receiver spot. At most other positions it is a question of how good will they get, how fast. Depth looks a little better than average.

IMO, BF will do neither, I think people realize he is different than his Dad. I am still in the camp that KF handcuffs BF. But, I believe BF will stand alone. The most KF will get is a good job or a see we told you so. But those wont affect what his legacy is.

The only way KF can hurt his legacy is if a scandal comes out because he stuck around too long. Whether it's illegal steroids, or mistreatment of players, or illegal payment of players, or cover-ups of illegal behavior by players or assistant coaches, that could hurt his legacy.

But if KF finishes out his career with 7 wins a year or even 3 wins a year, it won't affect his legacy. Fans will still remember the 5 top-10 finishes, the 3 BCS level bowls, etc.

Otherwise, he can only help his legacy by rolling out Ferentz 4.0, and seeing if he has 1 more CFP bowl and 1 top 10 finish left in him

Last edited:
If you're one of those hawk fans who likes to hate on ferentz you probably think he is hurting it. If you like to stand up for him, you probably think he's helping. The reality is outside of hawkeye nation he's really not doing anything to his legacy good or bad, although being longest-tenured does strengthen some things. A 6 loss season wouldn't hurt his legacy at this point, only a scandal would. 9 win seasons or another top 10 finish might cement it further but not do a ton. People know who he is, Iowa is, and the program is at this point. The only things that could really shift the needle much would be a huge scandal or on the other side a playoff birth.

the 'legacy' is for the observers. I doubt Kirk gives it a second thought. He does not strike me as one given to narcissism in the least. That's one of the things I like about him

the 'legacy' is for the observers. I doubt Kirk gives it a second thought. He does not strike me as one given to narcissism in the least. That's one of the things I like about him

66 yards doing the same thing takes a certain amount if narcissism or stupidity.

KF could be undefeated for his entire tenure at Iowa and it would have the same effect, IMO, and that's this: Nothing SHOULD be a "given". It's KFs job while he has it, not his job to "hand off" to a hand-picked successor. Certainly he should have input, but he shouldn't have only say or final say.

Just my opinion.

It's KFs job while he has it, not his job to "hand off" to a hand-picked successor. Certainly he should have input, but he shouldn't have only say or final say.

Just my opinion.
I hope everybody would agree that's how it SHOULD be.

But, I think this is how it WILL be:

KF: "Gary, I want Brian to be the coach until he retires, and then James, and then-"

GB interrupts: "Sure, coach. You know the drill. Have your agent send me a contract and I'll sign it."

I hope everybody would agree that's how it SHOULD be.

But, I think this is how it WILL be:

KF: "Gary, I want Brian to be the coach until he retires, and then James, and then-"

GB interrupts: "Sure, coach. You know the drill. Have your agent send me a contract and I'll sign it."

We shall see...

Hard to say if he's helping or hurting as he's building a resume. Fry was most definitely at the end of his career the last 2-3 seasons. Energy level, decision-making.....anyone who followed the Hawks at that time knew and understood what was happening. I dont think that is the case with Ferentz right now. Yes, i like coach, but nothing right now feels like the end of the Fry era. I think, if anything, the needle is pointing up as far as the upcoming next 2-4 seasons. If there are 6-6 or 5-7 seasons in there, probably more than one, id say youll see the end of the KF era, but, i dont see that happening. I see an uptick in recruiting and energy.

Now do you want to hear the best part?
Say we win the NT this year.
Great accomplishment by Fry, Kf, all the coaches and staff, the players and smart move by Barta on the contracts.
You just never know.

Sorry but we do know. It ain’t happening while KF is coach. To think other wise is lunacy.