Point Guard

tksirius

HN's Love Doctor
Hmmmm...

"In the Hawkeyes’ 94-80 victory over Minnesota on Tuesday, Bohannon put up 20 points and 10 assists. It was the sixth time he notched a double-double that included assists, passing B.J. Armstrong for the most in school history. Armstrong, a picture- and dictionary-perfect point guard at Iowa and a three-time NBA champion, performed that task in four years. It took Bohannon less than two."

It's more accurate to say we have a true point guard who sucks at defense than to say we don't have a true point guard. Our offense is pretty good actually, and that has a lot to do with him. We do need someone who can dribble drive tho. That can be a 2 guard just as easily. Marble would have been a perfect compliment to Bohannon.

It's more accurate to say we have a true point guard who sucks at defense than to say we don't have a true point guard. Our offense is pretty good actually, and that has a lot to do with him. We do need someone who can dribble drive tho. That can be a 2 guard just as easily. Marble would have been a perfect compliment to Bohannon.
I'm with ya so long as your talking about his senior year. His first couple years not so much. But the Marble that was handling the ball a ton and was clutch overall sure would have been perfect.

Hmmmm...

"In the Hawkeyes’ 94-80 victory over Minnesota on Tuesday, Bohannon put up 20 points and 10 assists. It was the sixth time he notched a double-double that included assists, passing B.J. Armstrong for the most in school history. Armstrong, a picture- and dictionary-perfect point guard at Iowa and a three-time NBA champion, performed that task in four years. It took Bohannon less than two."

No argument with ScottDoch with the emphasis on "point". JoBo is an extremely valuable weapon and a very solid quarterback of the offense. Let's continue to use BJ as the bar:

- BJ 518 assists, 255 to's over 130 career games = 4 a/game, 2 to/game, 2.0 ratio.
- JoBo Career-to-date= 304 assists, 126 turnovers over 58 games: 5.2 a/game, 2.2 to/game, 2.4 ratio.
-- He's on pace to smash many of BJ's "point" stats and, again, I don't think that would surprise anyone.

It's when they try to include the "guard" part that they start to muddy the accolades:
- BJ had 178 steals over 130 games = 1.4 / game over his career.
--- His Soph-Sr years ... 170 steals over 101 games = 1.7 steals / game.

- JoBo has 45 steals over 58 games = a measly 0.8 steals / game.
-- That puts him on pace for 100 career steals (if he plays 130 games), that is, if he can reverse the worsening of his defense - he had 29 steals over 34 games as a frosh (0.85) and has 16 so far this year (0.67).

Once again, no one is questioning JoBo's value on offense. The complaints have been about his lack of quickness, inability to prevent dribble-penetration, inability to pressure a typical D-1 point guard into mistakes and overall lack of toughness and intensity on the defensive end of the court.

Last edited:
I believe that a Point Guard can come in all shapes, sizes, playing styles, and even colors. The main hope is to get a good player at the position however that may be.

JBo is who he is as a player. The problem this year has been that Moss has really only proven to be a streaky spot up jump shooter, nothing more. As previously mentioned if he was a scoring 2 guard in the mold of a Marble or a Jok who could create for himself, some of the pressure would be taken off JBo and he would be allowed to do more of the things he excels at (3pt shooting & feeding the post). Defense we know will never be a strength for Jbo but I do think he has improved some and can at least be decent in that regard.

Overall I think we have a pretty solid player at the PG position. Hopefully Moss, Weiskamp, and Dailey can provide enough of a scoring punch and perimeter defense out of the backcourt alongside JBo for the next few years for us to have a solid team.

No argument with ScottDoch with the emphasis on "point". JoBo is an extremely valuable weapon and a very solid quarterback of the offense. Let's continue to use BJ as the bar:

- BJ 518 assists, 255 to's over 130 career games = 4 a/game, 2 to/game, 2.0 ratio.
- JoBo Career-to-date= 304 assists, 126 turnovers over 58 games: 5.2 a/game, 2.2 to/game, 2.4 ratio.
-- He's on pace to smash many of BJ's "point" stats and, again, I don't think that would surprise anyone.

It's when they try to include the "guard" part that they start to muddy the accolades:
--- His Soph-Sr years ... 477 steals over 101 games = 4.7 steals / game!!

-- That puts him on pace for 100 career steals (if he plays 130 games), that is, if he can reverse the worsening of his defense - he had 29 steals over 34 games as a frosh (0.85) and has 16 so far this year (0.67).

Once again, no one is questioning JoBo's value on offense. The complaints have been about his lack of quickness, inability to prevent dribble-penetration, inability to pressure a typical D-1 point guard into mistakes and overall lack of toughness and intensity on the defensive end of the court.

When you have a player who is that good on offense and that bad on defense, it's a lot harder to recruit over him and give up the offensive production than it is for the coach to find a way to scheme around the bad defense. That's up to Fran and the players around him to step up and figure it out, because Bohannon needs to be on the court.

--- His Soph-Sr years ... 477 steals over 101 games = 4.7 steals / game!!

Might want to take a look at BJ's steals. Hard to have 477 in three years when you only had 178 in a career :). Think you were looking at his assists. But he did have 170 in his last three years for a 1.68/gm average.

JBo's first double-double is pretty dubious though, he got it in the Indiana B10 Tourney with two assists when we were down 31 points with three minutes to go on sandbag dunks by Cook against Indiana scrubs.

When you have a player who is that good on offense and that bad on defense, it's a lot harder to recruit over him and give up the offensive production than it is for the coach to find a way to scheme around the bad defense. That's up to Fran and the players around him to step up and figure it out, because Bohannon needs to be on the court.

Absolutely!
I'm a fan of the entire JoBo package. I actually think his biggest liability is his frustration. He knows he's slow and can't stop the opposing guard but anyone else would be worse. He does what can, gets beat alot, the lumps accumulate, his intensity wanes and the cycle repeats.

If he would really focus on improving on defense, I have no doubt he would succeed. It's just not emphasized, let alone, taught by anyone on this Staff, so, the bad D will continue.

Might want to take a look at BJ's steals. Hard to have 477 in three years when you only had 178 in a career :). Think you were looking at his assists. But he did have 170 in his last three years for a 1.68/gm average.

JBo's first double-double is pretty dubious though, he got it in the Indiana B10 Tourney with two assists when we were down 31 points with three minutes to go on sandbag dunks by Cook against Indiana scrubs.

Yea ... I edited it.:p

4.7 / game would be awesome, wouldn't it?

Yea ... I edited it.:p

4.7 / game would be awesome, wouldn't it?

Certainly would've. It made me curious to look at the NCAA steals per game leaders and the leaders did average over 4 per game during those BJ years, but they of course were smaller D1 schools. Jason Kidd averaged 3.79 one year at Cal to lead the nation. Aaron Craft average 2.3 for his career at OSU, and I think he's the B10 all time leader.

Wowza! What a stat and to do in two years. He's going to crush records, IMO.

He still has time to become an adequate to good defender.

Where are all the JoBo haters now?

I thought Jbo did a nice job on Minny's point guard Mason. He was able to contain him much better than I thought he would. Jbo can hit the deep ball, good free throw shooter, and maybe his defense is coming around. I'm not convinced all of a sudden he can keep everybody in front of him just yet. I was at the game last night and overall the defense look improved against Minny. Granted, their missing some key pieces but it was a step in the right direction. Penn St. will give us the next opportunity to see if we take another step towards improvement on the defensive end or is it two steps back with a more athletic team.

I’m grateful he’s at Iowa, he could have play for Wisconsin Badgers but he didn’t. Don’t complain. I think he’s doing great!

I love Jordan. He doesn't play defense well, but I feel like he's been unfairly treated by our fan base and blamed for a lot of it's woes this season. Comes with territory.

Wowza! What a stat and to do in two years. He's going to crush records, IMO.

He still has time to become an adequate to good defender.

Where are all the JoBo haters now?

There aren't many haters. There are a number of posters who notice his defensive liabilities and the trade off between being able to shoot and pass v. driving. In a motion not as important, but not irrelevant either.

I thought Jbo did a nice job on Minny's point guard Mason. He was able to contain him much better than I thought he would. Jbo can hit the deep ball, good free throw shooter, and maybe his defense is coming around. I'm not convinced all of a sudden he can keep everybody in front of him just yet. I was at the game last night and overall the defense look improved against Minny. Granted, their missing some key pieces but it was a step in the right direction. Penn St. will give us the next opportunity to see if we take another step towards improvement on the defensive end or is it two steps back with a more athletic team.

Before getting too excited, due to Minny's lack of depth, JBo had help that won't happen against more balanced teams. Still, he is learning.

Figure it out?? Ok, you have to stop the penetration from JBo’s player and also cover your guy in the post. That’s what’s been killing Iowa most seasons as they give up way to many points to the opponents after they break down our defense. They are getting either easy points right under the basket or WIDE OPEN looks from three point land.

Wieskamp may add a distraction with his shooting ability next year that will help JBo get more open shots but if if Wieskamp lacks quickness defensively we will be facing the same problems we have this year. Next year could mean winning and losing by scores such as 107-102, :eek:

Bohannon didn't look very good at the beginning of the year, but he has shown a lot of good signs recently. You never know what a player may be going through. I read he has had some kind of a foot injury. It would make a big difference. I enjoy watching him play. Hopefully Iowa can place above Wisconsin this year. They are only a half game behind them now.

Latest posts