Please come off the ledge...

Iowa has 4 days rest (Mon-Thurs) while Michigan will have 2 days rest (play on Tuesday) for Friday's game. Michigan only had 2 days rest last week between beating Minnesota by 2 at home (on a buzzer beater) and then playing at Indiana. They lead the Hoosiers 17-0 out of the gate.

Iowa had 3 days rest (played Sun) last week and didn't travel while MSU had 2 days rest (played Mon) and had to travel before the matchup last Thursday at Carver. It didn't matter. :(

It matters who plays better. Period.
Scenario 1 - Indiana is terrible. They are one of the bottom 4 teams in the conference IMO. Michigan State, Michigan or Purdue could probably play the day before and still beat them.

Scenario 2 - Why would you say it didn't matter? Iowa led at halftime...and then quit playing defense. Michigan State was continually giving the ball away in the first half.

Of course it matters who plays better...rest, playing at home, extra time to practice and study film, etc. But lots of variables contribute to which team plays better.

Last edited:
Iowa has 4 days rest (Mon-Thurs) while Michigan will have 2 days rest (play on Tuesday) for Friday's game. Michigan only had 2 days rest last week between beating Minnesota by 2 at home (on a buzzer beater) and then playing at Indiana. They lead the Hoosiers 17-0 out of the gate.

Iowa had 3 days rest (played Sun) last week and didn't travel while MSU had 2 days rest (played Mon) and had to travel before the matchup last Thursday at Carver. It didn't matter. :(

It matters who plays better. Period.

I definitely think Michigan is better than us. I think we are better than Minnesota. Home game, schedule, etc. are variables outside of anyone's control. Michigan will certainly be favored but it's one I think Iowa can steal. And Michigan's style of play is not Michigan State's style of play. A lot of our guys don't like the physical style.

You also chose to ignore this post.

Scenario 1 - Indiana is terrible. They are one of the bottom 4 teams in the conference IMO. Michigan State, Michigan or Purdue could probably play the day before and still beat them.

Scenario 2 - Why would you say it didn't matter? Iowa led at halftime...and then quit playing defense. Michigan State was continually giving the ball away in the first half.

Of course it matters who plays better...rest, playing at home, extra time to practice and study film, etc. But lots of variables contribute to which team plays better.

Again, it is narrative, nothing more. Iowa not playing since Sunday compared to Michigan playing tonight and then traveling to Iowa City will not be a huge factor. Iowa will have the natural home court advantage, but these talking points are just that.

Scenario 1 - Michigan led 17-0 at Indiana. That hasn't happened to any other team this year (even Rutgers!). Michigan is just a good team as well as Indiana being a bad team. Michigan will not be affected by playing tonight and then traveling to play on Friday. Already proven.

Scenario 2 - in the grand scheme of the game, it didn't matter. The team that was rested and playing at home, then quit playing defense (as you said). Shouldn't they be the team with the advantage, the fans, and the energy to keep playing defense? And, MSU was continuing to give away the ball in the 1st half. So, what changed? Aren't they tired from traveling, having less rest than Iowa, but they were the team with the energy and played better in the 2nd half?

Again, these are points that people like to 'hope' matter, especially going into the game. But, really, when the game starts, none of it matters. It matters who executes their plan, who reacts to what happens in the game (positive or negative) and who plays better in the end. Again, that's it.

I hope Iowa plays better defense, can stop Michigan runs, and can get hoops when they are needed. That's all. :)

You also chose to ignore this post.

Didn't ignore it. I don't agree. Iowa has players who like the physical style (like Garza). I know styles make fights, but Michigan State is just better than Iowa. Again, real simple stuff. Same with Michigan (from an overall standpoint).

However, Iowa has a chance to win. Execute on offense, play good defense/rebound, and keep away from the droughts (24-2 runs). Hopefully, Iowa can play well enough to win on Friday (I hope so!).

I agree with that.

The question is can we beat a top 50 level team on the road? We haven’t done that yet, although we haven’t had many realistic opportunities. It’s a complete unknown, which makes Sunday so intriguing.

Did you get your answer? ;)

Again, it is narrative, nothing more. Iowa not playing since Sunday compared to Michigan playing tonight and then traveling to Iowa City will not be a huge factor. Iowa will have the natural home court advantage, but these talking points are just that.

Scenario 1 - Michigan led 17-0 at Indiana. That hasn't happened to any other team this year (even Rutgers!). Michigan is just a good team as well as Indiana being a bad team. Michigan will not be affected by playing tonight and then traveling to play on Friday. Already proven.

Scenario 2 - in the grand scheme of the game, it didn't matter. The team that was rested and playing at home, then quit playing defense (as you said). Shouldn't they be the team with the advantage, the fans, and the energy to keep playing defense? And, MSU was continuing to give away the ball in the 1st half. So, what changed? Aren't they tired from traveling, having less rest than Iowa, but they were the team with the energy and played better in the 2nd half?

Again, these are points that people like to 'hope' matter, especially going into the game. But, really, when the game starts, none of it matters. It matters who executes their plan, who reacts to what happens in the game (positive or negative) and who plays better in the end. Again, that's it.

I hope Iowa plays better defense, can stop Michigan runs, and can get hoops when they are needed. That's all. :)
We'll have to agree to disagree. There clearly is no common ground other than we both want Iowa to win Friday. Okay, I guess there is some common ground.

Indiana has 1 win in 2019...73-65 home win against Illinois...and has lost 7 straight.

Ohio State has 1 win in 2019...70-60 @ NE when Copeland went down...and has lost 6 out of 7.

Nebraska has lost 6 out of 8 and 4 in a row. Copeland is out for the year and they only played 5 guys. The 2 wins were 70-64 at home against PSU and 66-51 @ IN.

Northwestern has gone 3-5 in 2019. The home wins were 68-66 over IL and 73-66 over IN. The road win was 65-57 @ RUT. And we already beat them by 10 at their place.

Rutgers is actually playing about as well as they are capable of playing. They are 4-4 in 2019 and play hard. But the wins are at home against OSU 64-61, NE 76-69 and IN 66-58. The road win was 64-60 @ PSU. And they are still the lowest ranked (89) Kenpom team in the conference.

What do all of these teams have in common? None of them have a win over any of the top 7 teams in the conference home or away in 2019. And I have watched a lot of these games. Iowa isn't going to win the Big 10 or the National Championship. But Iowa is clearly better than any of these teams IMO and should sweep these 7 games.

What do these look like as of today? I won't be shocked if we go 8-2...losing to Michigan and Wisconsin. Maryland won't be an easy game but it's at home. I think Indiana, Rutgers, Ohio State and Nebraska have looked terrible for weeks now. And we certainly should beat NW.

TeamRankings: 5-5 projected

upload_2019-2-1_12-38-4.png

Massey: 6-4 projected

upload_2019-2-1_12-36-15.png

I'm with Windsor on this, fresh legs matter in hoops. Look at the NBA, you can typically bet your house if you pay attention to how many games in a row a team has played and on the road vs home. IMO, Michigan State, before the Langford injury was IMO, one of the best 4 teams in the country. Good teams like that with depth can sometimes overcome tired legs. I admittedly have not seen much of Michigan this season, but their record indicates they are in the same caliber.

I gotta say if we were going to go 1-3 in this current 4 game stretch beating Michigan is ideal. Hopefully we beat IU and end up 2-2 in this stretch. I mean we needed a signature win, and it was at home (have to protect your home court and steal a couple on the road). Next is @IU, and we get a long rest before that game Thursday. I still think winning there is going to be tough and it won't surprise me if we drop that one. Hopefully we steal another one on the road and go 2-2 in this tough 4 game stretch.

Seems about right. Already played 5 games vs the top 4 in the league. The schedule lighten ups after Michigan. Of the 9 remaining games, 7 of them are vs teams in the bottom 1/2 of the conference.

Seems about right. Already played 5 games vs the top 4 in the league. The schedule lighten ups after Michigan. Of the 9 remaining games, 7 of them are vs teams in the bottom 1/2 of the conference.

Just waiting for dumb dumbs to say Iowa hasn’t played anyone and they’re just gonna make the dance cause there’s enough terrible teams left on the schedule to dance.

Just waiting for dumb dumbs to say Iowa hasn’t played anyone and they’re just gonna make the dance cause there’s enough terrible teams left on the schedule to dance.

Iowa has played 9 games against teams currently ranked in the NCAA Net Rankings Top 50. We have won 4 (Michigan, Iowa State, Nebraska, and Ohio State) and lost 5 (two to MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Minnesota). Assuming they beat at least 3 "terrible teams" they are in. Win a couple more than that and #6 is likely.

Latest posts