Player/Recruit Reactions?

Hopefully they will at least wait to see who the new coach is going to be before anyone bails on the program. It would seem foolish to make that quick of a decision, but that's just me.

I'm sure recruit wise Marble and Brust will say something. Considering Marble Jr's tweet said I and Brust want coach Lick to stay. So we'll see what he says!

Any rumblings yet?

There's not going to be anything official until a new coach is hired. Schools have to release current players from their scholarships, and incoming players from their letters of intent. Iowa will do neither (nor should they) until a new coach is hired and given an opportunity to talk to all current players and incoming recruits.

There's not going to be anything official until a new coach is hired. Schools have to release current players from their scholarships, and incoming players from their letters of intent. Iowa will do neither (nor should they) until a new coach is hired and given an opportunity to talk to all current players and incoming recruits.

They do not have to release. They most likely will if it is not a fit with the new coach. But with the basis of the majority of the recruits coming to Iowa and the integrity that I believe we have in the AD dept. they would release them if asked to do so.

I don't believe they have to release anyone, but it is considered very bad form if they don't. The only reason a recruit or current player wouldn't be released is if there was clear tampering involved by another school, but I agree nothing will be done until we hire a new coach.

Iowa has an adequate shot at keep the 4 right now.

Marble wants to be a Hawkeye regardless.
Brust will come if Iowa hires the right coach.
I'd think McCabe wants to come to Iowa.
I don't know anything on Larson. He's the one I am most worried about.

But don't be fooled. All these guys love Lickliter and love Walthall. So it will take some mending.

Current players - I don't see anyone leaving unless the new coaching staff removes them.

Player losses happen on coaching changes, they just do. I would be floored if the nucleus doesn't stay (Gatens, Fuller, May) - but I am worried about Cully leaving... which would affect Brust. That would SUCK!! Iowa needs to make the right hire here.

Iowa WILL RELEASE anyone that wants it, bank on it.

Iowa has an adequate shot at keep the 4 right now.

Marble wants to be a Hawkeye regardless.
Brust will come if Iowa hires the right coach.
I'd think McCabe wants to come to Iowa.
I don't know anything on Larson. He's the one I am most worried about.

But don't be fooled. All these guys love Lickliter and love Walthall. So it will take some mending.

Current players - I don't see anyone leaving unless the new coaching staff removes them.

Player losses happen on coaching changes, they just do. I would be floored if the nucleus doesn't stay (Gatens, Fuller, May) - but I am worried about Cully leaving... which would affect Brust. That would SUCK!! Iowa needs to make the right hire here.

Iowa WILL RELEASE anyone that wants it, bank on it.

Spank,
Thanks for the insight. I didn't know that about Cully.

A new coach can always tell the recruits and players that they will get to run fast breaks and show the players what fast breaks look like on film to remind them if they have forgotten...

That should excite them...

Seems like Payne might see this as Alabama all over again. Liked the coach, style of play, etc. and then a new coach comes in with a completely different style of play, way more uptempo. Not saying that will happen here but he must be feeling apprehensive.

I'd advise him to stick around; think he's proven he can play in a quicker style if need be and also could be a good shooting guard in addition to experience at the point.

Seems like Payne might see this as Alabama all over again. Liked the coach, style of play, etc. and then a new coach comes in with a completely different style of play, way more uptempo. Not saying that will happen here but he must be feeling apprehensive.

I'd advise him to stick around; think he's proven he can play in a quicker style if need be and also could be a good shooting guard in addition to experience at the point.

The few times we saw it I actually thought Cully played better in an up-tempo type of game when he didn't need to be the main ball-handler.

Latest posts