Player/Recruit Reactions?

Seems like Payne might see this as Alabama all over again. Liked the coach, style of play, etc. and then a new coach comes in with a completely different style of play, way more uptempo. Not saying that will happen here but he must be feeling apprehensive.

I'd advise him to stick around; think he's proven he can play in a quicker style if need be and also could be a good shooting guard in addition to experience at the point.

Cully might not like it because he probably likes TL style of play because I don't think Cully will be the type of point we will need to run the up and down style everyone thinks we should play.

If Tennessee were to release any siged recruits Iowa would be on the list of restricted schools.

Cully might not like it because he probably likes TL style of play because I don't think Cully will be the type of point we will need to run the up and down style everyone thinks we should play.

I'm not really sure what type of style fits a point guard that turns over alot and can't handle high pressure man to man defense.

Cully even was quoted after his big game vs Michigan as saying that they intentionally pushed the ball more to get earlier shots in transition or secondary break.
Cully is like any other AAU ballplayer,they like to push the ball. It frees him up for open looks from three in transition. If he has learned anything this year,it is that he will struggle to beat defenders from Purdue and MSU off the dribble and create his own shot...they need to run more.

There are a lot of assumptions being made in here about "next coach" being Pearl. I would just advise everyone to keep an open mind because if you convince yourself Pearl is coming to Iowa I think you'll be pretty disappointed. Again!

+ 1 ... I remember the hopes of hiring a big name coach after the Alford departure and the let down when I heard who we hired

I don't disagree that Iowa would release anyone who asked..

I don't believe they have to release anyone, but it is considered very bad form if they don't. The only reason a recruit or current player wouldn't be released is if there was clear tampering involved by another school, but I agree nothing will be done until we hire a new coach.

my point is that Iowa won't do so (nor should they) until the new coach has a chance to talk to all of them.

I would be beyond shocked if Gatens transferred.

Just as I would've been shocked if Gatens left if Lick stayed, I'd be shocked if Gatens left if Lick is gone. I always got the impression that Gatens was committed to Iowa, regardless of the coach.

If there was ANY chance that contributing players would leave if Barta fired Lick, he wouldn't do it. We are clearly not hearing the whole thing, but NO WAY does Iowa lose any significant players.....I would even venture to say they've tested the waters in the recruiting field as well. I honestly don't see it happening.

Latest posts