Player Predictions

I'll go with 14 to 20 points a game average. If Iowa has a stronger offensive inside game it should be easier to give out assists next year. Iowa is losing Uthoff, but hopefully they will have three or four guys, including Ellingson and Bohannon, that will be more of an offensive threat than last years team had. He should average higher than Gesell in rebounds.

I like Williams but he ain't averaging 20.... 10-14 would be just fine.

We've had the same point guard for 4 years. Marble played a lot of point and he averaged double figures tho. As bad at scoring as Gesell was, if Uthoff wasn't on the team, he would have averaged double figures.

I think CW will have a game that will more closely match Marble's sophomore year than Gesell's senior season. Marble averaged 11.5 points, 3.6 assists, 3.8 boards, 1.5 steals and 1.7 turnovers. Since Marble was a wing playing PG I think it's fair to liken Williams to his game. I don't think CW will score what Marble did (as Dev put up a lot of shots) but I also don't think it's completely unreasonable to fathom. The scoring has to come from somewhere other than Jok and I think CW has the tools to put the ball in the bucket and may be relied upon to do so. I certainly don't see CW having anywhere near the A/TO ratio Gesell had as I think he will have less assists and more turnovers but I see him making up for that a bit with more blocks and steals. If I were to predict a line for CW it would be 8 PPG, 3 APG, 4 RPG, 1.5 TPG and at least a steal. If he's running the point a vast majority of the time though I could easily see him averaging more than 3 APG.

Gesell didn't get a lot of assists by "setting up" teammates IMO. Pass the ball to Uthoff. Uthoff makes a 3. There's an assist. Pass the ball to Jok. Jok makes a 3. There's an assist.

If Williams is the starting PG playing 25 minutes a game. Then I think Williams will average over 4 assists per game. That's 1 or 2 nice feeds to the post and 2 or 3 passes to a perimeter guy that makes an outside shot.

I also love Williams demeanor/confidence on the court. He hasn't really played all year and enters the game against Indiana. He didn't look like a kid worried about making a mistake and getting pulled. He didn't look like a player that thought he was in over his head. He looked like a player that knew he was ready to play Big 10 basketball after almost a full season of coaching IMO.

And I don't necessarily think Williams should have played more than he did or sooner than he did. He developed and when he was needed he was put out on the floor. Ellingson played 5 minutes at home against Wisconsin. The next game he didn't play and Williams played 2 minutes at Ohio State. Then against Indiana Ellingson doesn't play and Williams gets 12 minutes and plays well. But it appears the move to Williams was already in the works.

Gesell didn't get a lot of assists by "setting up" teammates IMO. Pass the ball to Uthoff. Uthoff makes a 3. There's an assist. Pass the ball to Jok. Jok makes a 3. There's an assist.

If Williams is the starting PG playing 25 minutes a game. Then I think Williams will average over 4 assists per game. That's 1 or 2 nice feeds to the post and 2 or 3 passes to a perimeter guy that makes an outside shot.

I also love Williams demeanor/confidence on the court. He hasn't really played all year and enters the game against Indiana. He didn't look like a kid worried about making a mistake and getting pulled. He didn't look like a player that thought he was in over his head. He looked like a player that knew he was ready to play Big 10 basketball after almost a full season of coaching IMO.

And I don't necessarily think Williams should have played more than he did or sooner than he did. He developed and when he was needed he was put out on the floor. Ellingson played 5 minutes at home against Wisconsin. The next game he didn't play and Williams played 2 minutes at Ohio State. Then against Indiana Ellingson doesn't play and Williams gets 12 minutes and plays well. But it appears the move to Williams was already in the works.

The main reason I think Williams will average 14 to 20 points a game is because he does play aggressive. The coaching staff didn't seem to put any reins on his offensive game, so I think they are pretty confident in his abilities. If a player has the ability, the next important thing is to have the right mindset. I don't see him as being a shrinking violet on the court. I didn't particularly think Marble was a great offensive player his sophomore year, but he did have that confidence in his game.

The main reason I think Williams will average 14 to 20 points a game is because he does play aggressive. The coaching staff didn't seem to put any reins on his offensive game, so I think they are pretty confident in his abilities. If a player has the ability, the next important thing is to have the right mindset. I don't see him as being a shrinking violet on the court. I didn't particularly think Marble was a great offensive player his sophomore year, but he did have that confidence in his game.

He had 27 points in an entire season and you think he can average 20 points a game? You're crazy man

I didn't say 20 points a game. I said between 14 and 20 points a game. Next years season will come and go, and then we will know how it all turned out. I really don't think there is any way that he will average less than ten points a game. Iowa is going to need him next year.

I didn't say 20 points a game. I said between 14 and 20 points a game. Next years season will come and go, and then we will know how it all turned out. I really don't think there is any way that he will average less than ten points a game. Iowa is going to need him next year.

Iowa is going to need scoring but it doesn't need to come from him or Bohannon. Neither are going to be big time scorers next season. If I had to guess I would say most of the points will need to come from Jok, Baer, Uhl, Cook and Moss.

Iowa is going to need scoring but it doesn't need to come from him or Bohannon. Neither are going to be big time scorers next season. If I had to guess I would say most of the points will need to come from Jok, Baer, Uhl, Cook and Moss.

Why Cook and Moss but not Williams? Is it because you think no stats are better than not very good stats or because you didn't like how Williams looked in his minutes? I think he looked really good in his minutes late in the year. Very few players his size can handle the ball like he does. That makes for some pretty big mismatches.

Why Cook and Moss but not Williams? Is it because you think no stats are better than not very good stats or because you didn't like how Williams looked in his minutes? I think he looked really good in his minutes late in the year. Very few players his size can handle the ball like he does. That makes for some pretty big mismatches.

Cook is a big time recruit, Moss was a better recruit than Williams, Moss didn't spend most of the season behind Ellingson and all of the season behind Clemmons and Gesell, etc.

Cook is a big time recruit, Moss was a better recruit than Williams, Moss didn't spend most of the season behind Ellingson and all of the season behind Clemmons and Gesell, etc.

If you're so concerned with who Williams was behind at the beginning of the year, why are you not concerned that Moss was behind Williams at the beginning of the year? I think it's very possible Moss will be better than Williams next year. Do you know why I think that's possible? Because where they were at early last year has almost nothing to do with where they will be next year.

Cook is a big time recruit so hopefully he will be able to put up some points, although he's not ranked high due to his scoring ability. Moss was ranked higher and so was Hutton and they both came in worse off than Williams. After the first 100 or so players, being ranked a little higher than someone doesn't matter anymore.

If you're so concerned with who Williams was behind at the beginning of the year, why are you not concerned that Moss was behind Williams at the beginning of the year? I think it's very possible Moss will be better than Williams next year. Do you know why I think that's possible? Because where they were at early last year has almost nothing to do with where they will be next year.

Cook is a big time recruit so hopefully he will be able to put up some points, although he's not ranked high due to his scoring ability. Moss was ranked higher and so was Hutton and they both came in worse off than Williams. After the first 100 or so players, being ranked a little higher than someone doesn't matter anymore.

If Jok doesn't come back I will be more concerned about Moss. Plus Moss will be playing his natural position and Williams is not. I don't think because Moss was redshirted he was worse than Williams I think it just means he has more upside

If Jok doesn't come back I will be more concerned about Moss. Plus Moss will be playing his natural position and Williams is not. I don't think because Moss was redshirted he was worse than Williams I think it just means he has more upside

I hope that's why they red shirted Moss. It's also possible that Fran didn't want to redshirt Williams because he knew he would need him next year.

I hope that's why they red shirted Moss. It's also possible that Fran didn't want to redshirt Williams because he knew he would need him next year.

Either way we have two "Point Guards" on our roster, one is a undersized combo guard and the other is a wing playing there out of necessity. Neither of them had any Power 5 offers outside of Iowa. That is scary to me.

Moss is in a much better position to succeed and won't be asked to do as much in my opinion.

Either way we have two "Point Guards" on our roster, one is a undersized combo guard and the other is a wing playing there out of necessity. Neither of them had any Power 5 offers outside of Iowa. That is scary to me.

Moss is in a much better position to succeed and won't be asked to do as much in my opinion.

I hope Moss and Williams have great years. Williams will probably start and Moss isn't likely to. I would say Williams is in a lot better position to succeed. There are a lot of guys that Moss has to beat out for minutes. I doubt Bohannon will beat out Williams. If Jok doesn't come back then Moss would probably get a lot more minutes. Moss definitely has star potential.

Hey it took 7 pages but we finally agree on some thing. I think as long as Jok comes back there won't be a ton of pressure on Moss, and he will be able to play his game whether off the bench or in the starting role.

While we are at it, if CW averages something like 8 pts 3-4 ast and similar steal and turnovers as MG, do you think it is possible for him to be a better player next year than MG was last year?

Hey it took 7 pages but we finally agree on some thing. I think as long as Jok comes back there won't be a ton of pressure on Moss, and he will be able to play his game whether off the bench or in the starting role.

While we are at it, if CW averages something like 8 pts 3-4 ast and similar steal and turnovers as MG, do you think it is possible for him to be a better player next year than MG was last year?

No chance CW is as good as Mike was last year. Maybe by his junior or senior year though

Fran said when he signed Williams that he recruited him to play the point...if I recall correctly.

It's also possible that Fran didn't want to redshirt Williams because he knew he would need him next year.

Fran has said in interviews that he wanted Williams traveling with the team, watching everything that Gesell and Clemmons did on and off the court, etc. He knew Williams wouldn't play much behind 2 seniors. But he could still learn a lot from them.

Latest posts