Pistol Formation

How would the footwork go on that play, with a RB behind a pistol QB, if the play was zone left. How does the QB read the DE on the right side of the offensive formation out of the pistol?

How about this?

King/Queen Set:

....X..................T..G..C..G..T..TE
................................................................Z
........................(F)...Q...F
...............................T

Now you can really run power in both directions.

Basically that formation is the old single wing invented by Pop Warner over 100 years ago.

How would the footwork go on that play, with a RB behind a pistol QB, if the play was zone left. How does the QB read the DE on the right side of the offensive formation out of the pistol?

I confused it with a read option. I can remember Central College running it. But lets say the QB opens left he would be reading the defensive end to the side he opens. Obviously if he chases the RB the QB keeps, and if he stays he hands off to the back. Maybe not a "zone" read option. But it is still a read option.

They were probably just running veer or midline out of the pistol...a read option, for sure, but not a read on the backside DE. They'd be reading frontside DE if the QB opened left and the RB went left.

Basically that formation is the old single wing invented by Pop Warner over 100 years ago.

Old things become new again...that's the nature of the beast. But that's a pistol look with an offset fullback...Okie State used it a little bit last night from what I saw. Nevada will use it a ton...I think Boise uses it too. But it gives you the power capabilities that you were saying you couldn't do out of that formation. You aren't limited to just the "pistol back" who is lined up behind the QB.

Latest posts