Pick the Starting QB for next season

I'll be surprised if Padilla sticks around
Labbas I'm assuming isn't all that great or why the heck hasn't he gotten a shot already?
May I mean crazier things have happened.
Lainez sounds like the most physically able to make plays with both legs and arm of them all but heck if I know

Portal I can only go off the past and say we don't even usually look to the portal for QBs so till they do it I'll rule this out. (hope they prove me wrong)

With the 2022 stat line Padilla put up I presume that Labas would struggle to beat out the third stringer at NIACC. But that was definitely a team effort and I don't want to throw Padilla under the bus. I gave the kid a chance to become a legend on Friday. Several, actually.

With the 2022 stat line Padilla put up I presume that Labas would struggle to beat out the third stringer at NIACC. But that was definitely a team effort and I don't want to throw Padilla under the bus. I gave the kid a chance to become a legend on Friday. Several, actually.
Yeah between Padilla not being able to take snaps cleanly and make some open throws I was disappointed in him. I guess I just didn't think we'd have 2 guys as bad as Petras. We saw enough of him airmailing and being inaccurate that having 2 guys that weren't able to hit 60% completion seemed impossible. It's not like we have them try lots of 50/50 balls deep down the field. Most are crossers or out patterns within 12 yards that they are practicing a million times.

Most any D1 qb with a pulse should be able to make the throws our offense asks of them. Yet we had 2 of them that pretty much couldn't... Unreal.

Yeah between Padilla not being able to take snaps cleanly and make some open throws I was disappointed in him. I guess I just didn't think we'd have 2 guys as bad as Petras. We saw enough of him airmailing and being inaccurate that having 2 guys that weren't able to hit 60% completion seemed impossible. It's not like we have them try lots of 50/50 balls deep down the field. Most are crossers or out patterns within 12 yards that they are practicing a million times.

Most any D1 qb with a pulse should be able to make the throws our offense asks of them. Yet we had 2 of them that pretty much couldn't... Unreal.

Not trolling, no bullshit I hope Petras grad transfers that COVID year and kicks ass. I think the dude can ball.

Not trolling, no bullshit I hope Petras grad transfers that COVID year and kicks ass. I think the dude can ball.
Great guy. Bad QB.. He can throw the ball a country mile. But was inconsistent as all get out with his feet and fundamentals. Would get himself rushed and have tunnel vision. Just way too inaccurate for my taste and it's not like it was just this yr either. He has 3 yrs of tape on him. For whatever the reasons and their were several he never developed.

C'mon fellas.....huge difference in game-expectations between Petras and Padilla.

Anyone on here who played ball (I did) knows there's a world of difference between practice reps and game reps.

What meaningful, pressure-packed, people really wanting to hurt you reps did Padilla have before Nebby? Welp, he got (incorrectly) thrown in the 2nd half at the Shoe, arguably the most difficult venue in the league.

And that's it. And Mr. obvious here notes Petras has had dozens of games over three years to show his stuff. Padilla has had one-ish....and not even a start at that.

My point is Padilla's meaningful rep sample size is way way too small to judge after one game where he played "real" minutes.

C'mon fellas.....huge difference in game-expectations between Petras and Padilla.

Anyone on here who played ball (I did) knows there's a world of difference between practice reps and game reps.

What meaningful, pressure-packed, people really wanting to hurt you reps did Padilla have before Nebby? Welp, he got (incorrectly) thrown in the 2nd half at the Shoe, arguably the most difficult venue in the league.

And that's it. And Mr. obvious here notes Petras has had dozens of games over three years to show his stuff. Padilla has had one-ish....and not even a start at that.

My point is Padilla's meaningful rep sample size is way way too small to judge after one game where he played "real" minutes.

He had reps in 2021 as well so it wasn't like he was making his first start at the Shoe, like JVB did. Anyone on here old enough to remember when JVB threw for 25 touchdowns in his junior season in O'Keefe's last season as OC? My god, imagine this team with 25 TD passes. Hell, we'd have probably beaten Michigan.

I like it, I just came here to see if there was a thread on this yet. He would be a perfect fit.

I like it, I just came here to see if there was a thread on this yet. He would be a perfect fit.
Why in the world would any decent QB come to Iowa? Come on man. He's looking to go somewhere where he has a chance to chuck it around the yard not hand it off 50 times a game and throw 3 yard quick outs on 3rd and 17. Also, Kirk thinks transfers only flow one way in Iowa City and that's outbound.

Why in the world would any decent QB come to Iowa? Come on man. He's looking to go somewhere where he has a chance to chuck it around the yard not hand it off 50 times a game and throw 3 yard quick outs on 3rd and 17. Also, Kirk thinks transfers only flow one way in Iowa City and that's outbound.
Wasn’t Banks a transfer?

Iowa is a pro style offense and Iowa might be his best offer if they are interested.

They are trying to bring in Cade to be the starter next season and Lainez will be the back up. Labas can not grasp the offense…he can barely signal the called plays

Banks came from a mississippi jc. And promptly played behind mccann before finishing 2nd in the heisman a year later. To think he made that big a jump without being light years better than mccann in year one makes no sense
Being into analysis, back then I broke down Banks v McCann. No comparison. Iowa would likely have challenged for the Big that year. They lost 5 games by a total of 27 points. Banks had very good results on the team scoring when he was in the game. It was as obvious as CJ sitting on the bench.