Phil Steele's "dis" on Vandy - no all-conf

STILLBUSTER

Just read Jon's take on Phil Steele's omission of JVB from top 4 all-conf teams. While I agree that Braxton Miller is a real head-scratcher and Scheelhaase is debatable, I still don't share Jon taking offense at no JVB.

Looks to me like PS is basing things on W's and total productivity. Shoelaces and Martinez are no brainers, despite their suspect passing skills, because they can tear you up on the ground and win. Scheelhaase tends to be a similar QB -- who can hurt you with his feet (624 rush yards in '11) but also is #1 returning pass completion %.

JVB was Jekyll and Hyde. Although he returns a bunch of yards, he is merely average in his completion % and rating. The bottom line is he is a good QB but isn't going to win you any games, which, again, seems to be a huge factor is PS's outlook.

Just read Jon's take on Phil Steele's omission of JVB from top 4 all-conf teams. While I agree that Braxton Miller is a real head-scratcher and Scheelhaase is debatable, I still don't share Jon taking offense at no JVB.

Looks to me like PS is basing things on W's and total productivity. Shoelaces and Martinez are no brainers, despite their suspect passing skills, because they can tear you up on the ground and win. Scheelhaase tends to be a similar QB -- who can hurt you with his feet (624 rush yards in '11) but also is #1 returning pass completion %.

JVB was Jekyll and Hyde. Although he returns a bunch of yards, he is merely average in his completion % and rating. The bottom line is he is a good QB but isn't going to win you any games, which, again, seems to be a huge factor is PS's outlook.

I believe he won a few games last year or at least helped win a few. He's the leading returning qb in the B1G. He should be in the top 4.

I don't have a problem with JVB being left off the list, either. I do not think he has demonstrated yet that he is among the four top QBs in the conference. Despite his numbers, he has yet to prove he can consistently win tight games or when the team is not playing its best against lower-ranked opponents. I will be the first to acknowledge that may be more a result of coaching and KOK's conservative approach than it is of JVB's skills. When he was put into the no-huddle last year, he actually seemed to play with focus and confidence.

Career 8-7 as a starter. It's all about the W's. Yards passing don't mean shat if you aren't winning. One more season to redeem himself as better than a good QB who doesn't show up in some games, which is how I currently label him. He needs to overcome the limitations he demonstrated last year. I'm hopeful he will.

Miller at #2 is a joke. Correct me if Im wrong but wasnt Scheelhaase benched at the end of last year?

While that list is a joke, I have no problem with JVB not being on it until he starts hitting his receivers in stride on drag routes across the flat.

Last edited:
What's the uproar over JVB not making this list? He's on the worst team with the least talent of the 4 picked. Robinson, Miller, Martinez and Scheelhaase all have something JVB doesn't...running ability. Dual threats > pro style in college football. Not saying JVB isn't good but all those guys can make big plays on their feet as well have more talent around them to throw to. I'm not surprised by this one bit. Hope JVB has this list in his locker.

I have no problem with the list. I wish they would play Rudock anyway Iowa is going to struggle might as well see if Jake is the future or not.

Don't those guys belong on the RB list.

This is college football, not professional. College QB success isn't predicated on passing like it is in the NFL. Athletes can excel at the position and I actually like that about the college game.

This is college football, not professional. College QB success isn't predicated on passing like it is in the NFL. Athletes can excel at the position and I actually like that about the college game.

Exactly. If JVB could be the runner these 4 are along with his passing ability, he'd be a Heisman candidate no doubt.

JVB given the body of work we have seen so far, doesn't deserve to be on the list.

Anyone beating their chest over it is doing so as a homer.

4e75085972d55.image.jpg

Something else that set's JVB apart from these guy. He will be the only one drafted at QB next year.

Steele can put anyone he likes on his preseason list. JVB will be on one of the three Big Ten postseason teams.

I have no problem with the list. I wish they would play Rudock anyway Iowa is going to struggle might as well see if Jake is the future or not.

I would rather Iowa not play any games this year. I wouldnt want anyone that will be going to the NFL to get hurt. I also think if they didnt play any games this year they could focus on the players that will be going into the draft. They might want to pull the schollies from any upper classman since this season doesnt matter. We need to look to the future.

Iowa has been better at putting players into the league then they have been winning football games. My point for the slower group is what is the difference between jvb and rudock this year one win ? Two wins ? What is the result the next three years if rudock plays this year

Latest posts