Phil Steele's All Big 10 for 2010

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
http://philsteele.com/Pdf/2010/10PreseasonAllConf/Preseason AllBig Ten Team.pdf

My favorite college football magazine is produced by Phil Steele. I am not compensated in any way to say that; I just love how Phil does it. Information overload? Sure. Heavy on gambling trends and advertisements? Yes, but I don’t wager on games so I don’t care about that.

Chock full of football goodness? Heck yes!

The magazine will hit the newsstands on June 8th, and probably a few days before that. Steele is releasing his all conference teams in advance of the magazine release, and today is Big Ten day…

Hawkeyes of note:

1st Team Offense: Riley Reiff
1st Team Defense: Adrian Clayborn, Tyler Sash
1st Team Special Teams: Ryan Donahue
2nd Team Offense: Rick Stanzi (Terrelle Pryor is 1st team), Derrell Johnson-Koulianos
2nd Team Defense: Christian Ballard, Karl Klug, Jeremiha Hunter, Brett Greenwood, Shaun Prater
3rd Team Offense: Marvin McNutt
3rd Team Special Teams: Colin Sandeman (PR) DJK (KOR)
3rd Team Defense: Broderick Binns, Jeff Tarpinian
4th Team Offense: Allen Reisner, Adam Robinson, Julian Vandervelde

All in all, pretty solid representation here and not too many debates. I might have put Adam Robinson on the third team ahead of Indiana’s Darius Willis, and I wouldn’t have Illinois’ RB Mikel Leshoure 2nd team. I think the league is low on proven commodities at RB this year, and Robinson probably won’t get enough carries as Iowa will use several backs this year…or at least, that’s what we think the plan is right now.

It’s still going to come down to one thing this year; the development of the offensive line…and we won’t know about that until late September.

Last edited:
Hawkeyes of note:

1st Team Offense: Riley Reiff
1st Team Defense: Adrian Clayborn, Tyler Sash
1st Team Special Teams: Ryan Donahue
2nd Team Offense: Rick Stanzi (Terrelle Pryor is 1st team), Derrell Johnson-Koulianos
2nd Team Defense: Christian Ballard, Karl Klug, Jeremiha Hunter, Brett Greenwood, Shaun Prater
3rd Team Offense: Marvin McNutt
3rd Team Special Teams: Colin Sandeman (PR) DJK (KOR)
3rd Team Defense: Broderick Binns, Jeff Tarpinian
4th Team Offense: Allen Reisner, Adam Robinson, Julian Vandervelde

I really think Stanzi is going to have a killer year (in a good way). Mcnutt, DJK, Reisner and Weghner as targets. It might not be as good as Long did his senior year but it will not surprise me at all if it close.

In the pre-season, I can understand the positioning of Reisner ... however, by the end of the season, I think that he'll end up being higher.

Also, LeShoure might have been one of the few bright points of the Illini running game ... however, with the change of their system on O and the fact that LeShoure will likely not benefit from scheme that allowed him to catch the edge with such frequency ... I strongly feel that he's ranked to highly.

Also, I actually think that Indiana's Willis is ranked to low. I'd frankly take Willis ahead of Saine. Furthermore, tOSU's Herron, when healthy could contend for a top position. Also, with regard to other young guys, I also really like MSU's Baker and Wisky's Ball. Also, no offense to Robinson, but I'm willing to bet that both Hampton and Wegher end up landing ahead of him on the depth chart.

Also, no offense, but it's lame to stack the 1st-team DL guys with DEs.

The only surprises I see on defense is that Binns is only 3rd team and that Tarp is 3rd team (Tarp's a beast but I'm not sold that he can handle the coverage responsibilities. If he can, it certainly compensates for everything Angerer brought to the field.)

Most impressed / encouraged by the offensive side. If Rieff is 1st OT, Stanzi is 2nd QB, DJK & MM are 2nd & 3rd, A-Rob & Reisner 4th, along with both returners 3rd and Ryan D 1st ... Wow! This means Ricky cut down on the oskies, had some big connections to DJK and MM and probably worked a little magic along the way (see 2009 MSU and Indy). It also means that the OL paved the way for A-Rob. Both are thee areas of concern on offense.

If this comes to be, Iowa will win the B10.

Michigan has ZERO.....count them, ZERO.......First-Team All-Big Ten members in Phil's list. Wow! How far has the Maize & Blue fallen when they can't get a single member of their football team on the First Team.

I really think Stanzi is going to have a killer year (in a good way). Mcnutt, DJK, Reisner and Weghner as targets. It might not be as good as Long did his senior year but it will not surprise me at all if it close.

Pryor is an interesting case though. If you go back to some of his games (i.e. against Iowa) the guy would barely merit any recognition at all. I think most people look at the Rose Bowl and say that he's going to have a monster year.

He will most likely put up huge numbers against lesser quality defenses...the interesting piece is whether he's able to do anything against top tier defenses like Iowa.

The battle for 1st team qb will probably mirror the battle for the Big Ten title. If we beat OSU that probably means we hold Pryor in check for the most part and Stanzi has a good game...which probably puts Stanzi as 1st team.

Obviously there are a lot of factors to consider and anything can happen but that will be as big as any if the season goes the way everyone thinks it will.

56 spots available in the first 2 teams.
Ohio St, Wisconsin and Iowa take up 34 of them. I dont agree with all of them but I never do, so we'll have to wait and see when the season is over.
Last season, Phil only picked 28 accurately. He rode the Illini hype a little too far. He also gave MICH players too much credit.

Only thing I think will be different is that, I don't think Robinson will be our primary RB. I look for Jewel Hampton to step back in and have a big year. So replace Robinson with Hampton, 3rd or 4th team Offense.

Only thing I think will be different is that, I don't think Robinson will be our primary RB. I look for Jewel Hampton to step back in and have a big year. So replace Robinson with Hampton, 3rd or 4th team Offense.

If I had to compare resumes and production based on what I saw, I think A Rob is the more accomplished back...we know he can pass protect, we know he is a tough SOB. Jewel ran behind one of the best offensive lines in my lifetime and spelled arguably the best running back in Iowa history

If I had to compare resumes and production based on what I saw, I think A Rob is the more accomplished back...we know he can pass protect, we know he is a tough SOB. Jewel ran behind one of the best offensive lines in my lifetime and spelled arguably the best running back in Iowa history

Jon, never thought about the comparison this way, and I think it's a legitamate point.

I do know one thing... Jewel Hampton has a huge heart. Epic huge. Once he gets his chance to be the guy, I look for him to shine in a very special way. Either way, it's beautiful to have a full stable, I just hope everybody can stay healthy, so we can have huge program arguments here about who should be carrying more of the load, like they do on some other boards!

I don't remember having many of those conversations. I remember more of.... "who the heck is starting this week, and who is he?"

Jon, never thought about the comparison this way, and I think it's a legitamate point.

I do know one thing... Jewel Hampton has a huge heart. Epic huge. Once he gets his chance to be the guy, I look for him to shine in a very special way. Either way, it's beautiful to have a full stable, I just hope everybody can stay healthy, so we can have huge program arguments here about who should be carrying more of the load, like they do on some other boards!

I don't remember having many of those conversations. I remember more of.... "who the heck is starting this week, and who is he?"

Gee Ward....Don't you think you went a little rough on the Beaver last night.

Without a doubt, Robinson has a better resume. However, that also comes with the territory of being a designated starter. As I recall, prior to determining that he'd need surgery, the coaches still had Hampton listed as the starting RB. They would not have done that had they not honestly believed that he should be starting ahead of the others.

As I recall watching, the run blocking in '09 wasn't always all that bad. I remember seeing plenty of holes and plenty of cutback lanes. However, despite their existence, we also had FR RBs who clearly had plenty of learning to do. That obviously works both ways. While it does suggest that Robinson would likely have done even better in '09 if he were more experienced ... it also begs the question how Hampton would have fared in '09 had he not been injured. Given the holes and cutback lanes that DID exist ... I still definitely think that Hampton would have gone for around 1200+ yards in '09.

The interesting question is this ... would Hampton have performed better than Robinson based on his greater experience ... or simply because he's the better back? Personally, I don't know. I'm very pleased with ALL of our backs and I don't really have a favorite.

As for the '08 OL being as good as you're touting, didn't Greene have something like 800+ yards after contact? That certainly inspires an OL to play tougher ... and it also makes them look better too. As I recall, Ricky and Jake were still on the run a good amount.

The good news is, the coaches aren't going to "steal" the spot away from Robinson/Wegher and hand it to Hampton. If he ends up being the guy, he will have earned it. That said, I remember Hampton having a lot of potential but suffering from the same shortcoming as almost every young RB in our system: patience. Now that the other two have seen some starting experience they probably will have a leg up on Hampton until he learns to wait for the holes to open.

I predict Robinson will start the first game and Hampton will take over at some point in the middle of the season.

I would agree Phill Steele does a quality job. The only one I think he missed is Marvin McNut I see a big season and 1st team all big ten, great athlete and great hands and ability for the big play.

Latest posts