Phil Steele Down on the Hawks

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is my favorite preseason college football magazine and to me, it gets better each year. Phil Steele finds more and more ways to cut up statistics and tendencies to where a stat geek like me gets a football high the moment I see the cover sitting there on the newsstand for the first time.

However, football is not a game played in a spread sheet and algorithms don't win you the battle at the line of scrimmage...that's a good thing, because Phil Steele is as 'down' on the Iowa program as I can remember him being since early in the Ferentz era...and he's typically been 'bullish' on Iowa.

In 2008, when the magazine consensus averages were put together, the Hawks were picked to finish 8th in the Big Ten, but Steele had them 5th. Iowa finished in a tie for 4th.

-In 2007, he picked Iowa for a 5th place finish in the Big Ten and that's right where they finished.
-Everybody missed the boat in 2006 as Iowa had a consensus expectation of 3rd which is where Steele picked Iowa.
-In 2005, when the LA Times picked Iowa to play for the national title and the Hawks had a preseason Top 10 ranking, Steele picked Iowa to finish 4th in the league; they finished in a four way tie for 3rd.
-He picked Iowa higher than anyone in 2001, to finish 7th.

Steele's biggest misses on Iowa, since Ferentz turned things around, were in 2004 where he tabbed them 6th and they won the Big Ten, and in 2003 when he picked Iowa 8th and they were a 10-win team...he also tabbed them for 7th in 2002 and the Hawks ran the table and won the Big Ten...but nobody saw that season coming.

Even when Steele has gotten Iowa's season wrong, he's usually been more optimistic than most publications.

This year, Steele picks Iowa to finish tied for 3rd in the Legends Division and ranks Iowa 42nd in his ranking of every FBS team...he has seven other Big Ten teams, including Michigan and Illinois, ranked ahead of Iowa.

The biggest head scratcher from Steele is where he ranks the best units in the nation...in his list of his Top 41 offensive lines (not sure why he settled on that number), Iowa is nowhere to be seen...He has Wisconsin 7th and Ohio State 8th in this list, which is in line with their Athlon unit ranking...Athlon had Iowa's offensive line among its Top Ten in the nation...Steele didn't put the Hawkeye hogmollies in his Top 41.

The only 'unit' ranking Iowa received were its linebackers at #32.

Many of Steele's longtime quirky stat models that he believes are harbingers of success or lack there of paint a dark picture for Iowa...

His 'Turnovers Equals Turnaround' piece in the back of the magazine, one of my favorites, lists teams who had a good to great positive turnover ratio the year before...Iowa was one of the best at +13 in 2011...Steele points out that statistics favor those teams having fewer wins in 2012 as it's unlikely that teams will have back to back years where they are that good in the turnover margin department.

In this blog, Steele has calculated the data of percentage of yards returning for each team...which teams return the most yards from the passing, rushing and receiving personnel. Iowa ranks dead last out of all 120 FBS teams.

Steele picks Iowa to play against Kansas State in the Meineke Car Care Bowl (yes, this is the title sponsor of what used to be known as the Texas Bowl) on December 31st....

I will admit that my preseason predictions may tend to be on the optimistic side, due to how I am wired. However, I take them seriously even admitting the possibility for home town bias. I missed wide of the mark last year with my first ever (yeah Clone fans, first ever) 12-0 prediction...then again Skip Bayless and other national talking heads picked Iowa as their chic national title game participant last summer where most everyone tabbed them for their second straight BCS bid.

I think we tend to be more optimistic about the teams we know intimately, because we are acutely aware of their strengths and we sometimes minimize their weaknesses, and then we focus more on the weaknesses in other teams. That is one way to define bias, and I freely admit I may be guilty of that from time to time.

That being said, I see one of the best offensive lines in the Big Ten and a quarterback that has faced the brightest lights the sport has to offer, a road game at Ohio State in his first collegiate start and as a redshirt freshman, and he didn't puke all over his Nike's. I see one of the best receivers in the Big Ten and a sleeper in Keenan Davis on the opposite side plus some unknown talent. I see a possible star in the making in tight end CJ Fiedorwicz, however it might take another year for him to emerge. I see a very talented running back in Marcus Coker. I also see a lot of holes on defense and the loss of an excellent punter, so I can appreciate the skepticism.

But Steele predictions Iowa will average just 24.3 points per game and allow 23 points per game.

Iowa's 2005 defense replaced all four defensive linemen and started two sophomores at end (Iwebema and Mattison) and two undersized freshmen at tackle (King and Kroul) and that defense allowed 20.0/ppg against the 34th toughest schedule in the nation. In 2006, Iowa allowed 20.7/ppg, the 'worst' such total since 2000. Heck, in 2000 the Hawks allowed 27.5/ppg in 2000...it's hard for me to fathom the 2011 Iowa defense allowing 23 points per game. I also think this offense is capable of pushing the 30/ppg barrier. Why?

Steele says Iowa plays the 70th 'toughest' schedule in the nation, the second 'easiest' schedule of any Big Ten team (Wisconsin is at 71).

Steele predicts Iowa to average 190 passing yards per game and 360 total yards per game. I'll wager right now the Hawks blow past both of those averages in each department; Iowa averaged 190.1 passing yards per game in the disappointing 2007 campaign.

I still love the magazine and will always buy it and I certainly won't rip Steele or anyone for that matter who views the impending 2011 Iowa football season with a great deal of skepticism. Just because they have 'overcome' before doesn't mean they will this year, but I think there is more talent on this team than national pundits are giving them credit for.

Then again, as Steele points out, Iowa returns the fewest starters in the league and has the fewest returning lettermen in the league...something has to give.

Is there any magazines out there that give players on a team a rating like 85 out of 100 or something? I am curious to know what Phill would rate some of the hawkeyes.

"This year, Steele picks Iowa to finish tied for 3rd in the Legends Division and ranks Iowa 42nd in his ranking of every FBS team...he has seven other Big Ten teams, including Michigan and Illinois, ranked ahead of Iowa."

Sounds about right. I have no reason to believe Iowa will finish better than 8-4 overall.

This team is walking on an edge and I think it could fall either way this year. Many questions to answer.

"This year, Steele picks Iowa to finish tied for 3rd in the Legends Division and ranks Iowa 42nd in his ranking of every FBS team...he has seven other Big Ten teams, including Michigan and Illinois, ranked ahead of Iowa."

Sounds about right. I have no reason to believe Iowa will finish better than 8-4 overall.

I agree. I would take 8-4 right now if given the chance

Steele has the best magazine out there but he's prone to mistakes as well. He tabbed Iowa's offensive line as the worst in the B10 last year. I don't drink the kool-aid like many but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Iowa wasn't going to have the worst line no matter who they had returning. He puts heavy emphasis on returning starters, highly touted recruits, and trends. None of which bode well for Iowa but I wouldn't put a ton of stock into that. Attitude, luck, and heart are things you can't cap.

I think most believe Iowa is in a rebuilding year and we're not "traditionally" known as a reloading type of school... maybe this is the year we begin to change that thought process.

If I had the choice of taking 8-4 sight unseen and putting it in the bank, or letting it play out, I'd choose to let it play out.

I'd let it play too. 8-4 wouldn't be a disappointment, but it'd be nothing special either. There isn't a game on the schedule we can't win, except maybe the f^*king Wildcats. Like always, health will play a big factor in the final record.

Having less returning lettermen/starters/yards only means that we don't know how good or how quick/slow to develop the lesser known players are. Not a soul can rationally predict the end result of this season for that reason. We might win 6, we might win 11. Get through nonconference play 4-0, with these younger players getting 4 games starting experience, and anything is possible. The fact that some players are unknowns, does not mean we should assume they won't be as good as their predecessors. How good is Coker? Will he stay healthy? JVB? 4th D lineman? One of the toughest seasons to predict we've had under Ferentz. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I love Steele's magazine...less for his analysis than for the statistics he provides. I get kind of tired reading through page long narratives of him saying how right he is about certain things.

I'll say this though, if he doesn't believe Iowa will have one of the best 40 offensive lines in the country this season, he is sorely mistaken. That is a gross miscalculation on his part for the unit rankings.

I'd love to see JV come in and sling things like Drew Tate did.
If KOK would take the leash off of him, it would be a lot of fun to watch.
That said, with the usual clock management issues and a few key injuries, I could see us being a 7-5 team, with a Bowl win putting us at 8-5.
That would land us in the 40s for end of the season rankings.
He probably saw the same things we did, the final 4 games of last season.

I heard Steele on Fox Sports Radio today, and he didn't even mention Iowa. It was like we didn't exist. He even talked Illinois.
I'm very confident about our team this upcoming season. I don't mind flying under the radar.

To say that we have a lot of question marks is fair. To say that we don't have a good o-line is incorrect.

He's got some good stats in his mag but I really don't pay any more attention to where he picks teams then anyone else. Don't know about this year but in the past he's had Notre Dame ranked much higher then they actually ended up.

I'll take the underdog role, us against the world suckers!!

Sorry, but the offensive line omission makes me not even care about the rest. Compare and contrast that with the breakdown from Fiutak (sp?) where he says this:
"For all the concerns on both sides of the ball, Iowa gets back a tremendous offensive line that should be the best in the Big Ten if everyone stays healthy."
Scout.com: 2011 Iowa Preview

Even if you don't drink the koolaid, you have to realize that the OL is one thing that should be good to go barring injury.

Not really surprised he is so down on the Hawks. In his eyes, and in the eyes of many other experts, Iowa could not win with all of the talented seniors on the roster last season so why should it finish much higher than being an average program in 2011.

Iowa does have a favorable schedule, and I think Vandy will do a nice job. We have key offensive linemen returning, as well as receivers and a running back who gained valuable experience last season. On the defensive front, I actually think our defense could be better this year. Why? Because we have guys who have patiently waited in the wings to get their shot and I like the makeup of the front four. I just think we will see more of a cohesive unit.

It's a crapshoot. A few breaks here and there can mean a 10-2 season or a 7-5 season. Last year, we lost several close games that we won the prior year. We were missing true leaders last season. With all of the seniors we had I was disappointed that we just did not see anyone really step up and be a leader on the field. I think Vandy will be that leader on offense this season, and I think a few guys on defense will take on that role.

I agree about the O line. We should be good. But, as an earlier poster pointed out, it will all come down to health. If we can stay reasonably healthy, we'll be good and blow that projection out of the water. 2 or 3 key losses and we will lose 3 or more games easily. We are on a knife edge this year (more than I can remember).

I think Iowa will be a top 25 team this year, maybe 15-20th but not as far down as 42'd.

This is a knife edge year, there are more unanswered questions about this team than almost any other in the Ferentz era. If all goes well Iowa should be 4-0 going to Happy Valley. If thats the case then it should be a fun season.

Latest posts