I like this one from Dochterman:

In Iowa's last 6 home games against AP top-5 foes:
2008 vs. 3. Penn State, W 24-23
2010 vs. 5. Michigan State, W 37-6
2016 vs. 2. Michigan, W 14-13
2017 vs. 4. Penn State, L 21-19
2017 vs. 3. Ohio State, W 55-24
2021 vs. 4. Penn State, W 23-20

Love it. But still, I can't see Iowa winning. Just no confidence in this offense.

When is the last time you were really surprised by an Iowa performance? For me, the 2 that come to mind were 2020 PSU, and 2017 OSU. I didn't have a lot of confidence in the O before either of those, and they proved me wrong. But even with those in the recent history, I just can't see this as a win. Sure hope I'm wrong again.

I think the raw stats have to be contextualized. They had 2 fewer possessions than they should have had because the D scored 2 TDs. In addition, they were in protect-the-lead mode all 2nd half.

Not sure about the LaPorta deep throw, but if that was cover 2, that was exactly the spot for the ball. Any deeper, the safety would have been able to make a play on it. Again, I'm not sure if that is true, but the coverage kind of looked like C2.

I enjoy your perspectives, and I think we mostly agree with what we have in QB this year. But I see more positives from this past weekend than you, perhaps because of my black-and-gold colored glasses.
That is pretty much our offense all the time minus having the lead necessarily.

I did take away more positives from that game then I did from Nevada due to it being a real opponent and on the road. Nevada is so bad... And going into this game I thought Rutgers D would give us big time trouble. I was happy to see we got what we got I didn't foresee us doing that well offensively so hey something to build on. If D and special teams keep doing that it keeps us in games against anyone. It's just a big ask against who all we have coming up..

You make some valid points in your first paragraph. Can't really disagree with evolving the offense with your suggestions.
Thank you. I do not "dislike" Spencer. I do not know if he is or isn't the best QB or whether Iowa could have done better. I know he isn't being given much of a fighting chance. I reacted to thinking it is thought that was a solid performance. In my mind it wasn't and it wasn't his fault. It was close, but not really do to a number of things including play calling. It's 100 percent KF.

Baby steps boys, we're taking baby steps on offense. D ability grows a bit as they are pretty advanced but they are not done yet.

The O will need a big step by Sat noon to win this one, but it is not out of the realm of possibilities. Petras confidence, awareness, in game poise needs to take another step, as well as the O line blocking. They working the Ferentz plan, I'm remaining cautiously hopeful.

Thank you. I do not "dislike" Spencer. I do not know if he is or isn't the best QB or whether Iowa could have done better. I know he isn't being given much of a fighting chance. I reacted to thinking it is thought that was a solid performance. In my mind it wasn't and it wasn't his fault. It was close, but not really do to a number of things including play calling. It's 100 percent KF.
I know you don't. I'm with ya. Sometimes it's difficult to evaluate in football as there are so many components going on. It is the most definite team sport.

I think most of us are with ya, what you state above. Yes, he's doing the best with what he has to work with and the play calling. I'm pretty sure Iowa has their QB's trust the pocket and not leave unless have to. They trust the blocking and pass protection. When that isn't up to par, it throws off plans in a system like Iowa.

Love it. But still, I can't see Iowa winning. Just no confidence in this offense.

When is the last time you were really surprised by an Iowa performance? For me, the 2 that come to mind were 2020 PSU, and 2017 OSU. I didn't have a lot of confidence in the O before either of those, and they proved me wrong. But even with those in the recent history, I just can't see this as a win. Sure hope I'm wrong again.
A lot of people had Iowa losing against #18 Indiana last year.
A lot of people had Iowa losing against #9 ISU last year.

Iowa won both games by double digits. I was surprised

How many points do you think Iowa will need to win?

Last week I said I thought the OL would progress pretty well as the season went. You said "Well, they've always done that on the backs of IL, NE and MN" to which I said, "look who's still on the schedule bub"

if you want me to find the ridiculous comment, I'm more than happy.
I never said that. Don't know what you are talking about......unless I totally spaced something because I don't agree with that type of thinking.

I almost wish they would call some design runs periodically, just to keep the D a bit more honest with that threat. He can run a bit when he has to. He has shown that. Also, if they are designed and he knows where he would have to go, maybe he'd be a bit more effective. He doesn't do as well ad hoc or if the pocket or play breaks down. A designed run may be better and take the options out of the equation. Maybe just 4-5 or so design runs a game that are safe to rip off 5-8 yrds and maybe out-of-bounds to avoid hits.
Ya, anything would be better, when he dropped back he looked so unathletic at times.

I know you don't. I'm with ya. Sometimes it's difficult to evaluate in football as there are so many components going on. It is the most definite team sport.

I think most of us are with ya, what you state above. Yes, he's doing the best with what he has to work with and the play calling. I'm pretty sure Iowa has their QB's trust the pocket and not leave unless have to. They trust the blocking and pass protection. When that isn't up to par, it throws off plans in a system like Iowa.
Ever had a job where you looked bad not because of expertise or competence but because you weren't provided the tools needed to do the job well?

Once I had the worst office assistant ever and I had no supervisory ability over that assistant. I wanted to be angry at the assistant, but she was not competent in a highly detailed office and he wouldn't train her. The boss just pushed me to work harder and stay late to cover.

The problem wasn't the assistant, it was the boss/ Head coach. There is a moral here.

Oh well, hope the next game is competitive.

We need McNut on the slant.

Iowa offensive woes are definitely not all on Petras.
Our running game is nothing to write home about either:

B10 Rushing Stats
2022 B10 rank: 14th 101 ypg
2021 B10 rank 11th 123 ypg
2020* B10 rank 6th 173 ypg
2019 B10 rank 8th 137 ypg

Not really a 'run first / ball control' program with those kind of numbers.

A lot of people had Iowa losing against #18 Indiana last year.
A lot of people had Iowa losing against #9 ISU last year.

Iowa won both games by double digits. I was surprised

For whatever reason, I was confident going into those games. I thought last year's team was really good, and I was actually disappointed in the seasonal outcome (not necessarily the 10 wins, but the offensive struggles and the failure to show up vs. Purdue and Wisconsin).

I guess I am in the mode of thinking this team is not as good, and they will have to prove it to me to change my mind.

How many points do you think Iowa will need to win?

Barring any ST or Defensive TDs, I think the offense will need to generate at least 3 TDs on their own. They have only hit that mark once (last year, Minny) in their last 8 games vs. B1G opponents.

I suppose one of those 4 FG, 1-2 TD games (we have had several in recent history) might get the job done, but I am just not confident we will threaten that often, so when we do, I think we need TDs.

I can't add anything that hasn't already been stated in this thread so I will throw out the following:

FWIW, Petras is 17-7 as a starter.

Need to drive 80 yards in a minute to win or tie...I am not super confident he can get it done. Some will point to the end of the ISU game as evidence that he can...I need more than that clunky drive to prove he can do it.

Stating the obvious, they have to avoid double digit leads where they are chasing points. Other than OSU, they will avoid double digit leads, Petras just needs to continue to be a game manager and that will translate into 9-3/8-4 record.

Iowa offensive woes are definitely not all on Petras.
Our running game is nothing to write home about either:

B10 Rushing Stats
2022 B10 rank: 14th 101 ypg
2021 B10 rank 11th 123 ypg
2020* B10 rank 6th 173 ypg
2019 B10 rank 8th 137 ypg

Not really a 'run first / ball control' program with those kind of numbers.
That's a core problem, to be sure.