Petras

Got to give the guy credit when he deserves it. He managed that game well and actually made some really good throws Saturday. He's been beaten up by many this season and questioned. But, he made some impressive passes in tight windows. Good job young man.
Don't like this thread. It is begging insults. I'm sure not intentional but read back over what you wrote and think about what a "good" job is. I'm sure by KF standards it was. But by real experts would it be starting P 5 material based on that game only? At best it was a C grade.

Don't like this thread. It is begging insults. I'm sure not intentional but read back over what you wrote and think about what a "good" job is. I'm sure by KF standards it was. But by real experts would it be starting P 5 material based on that game only? At best it was a C grade.

What do you call a med student who completes his/her/xir med school with a C average? Doctor. If we get C level play and dude doesn't turn the ball over this team is finishing 10-4 at worst.

Iowa just needs a game manager who doesn't make mistakes. If we don't take big risks and chances and turn the ball over and give a team a short field and easy score, Iowa will win a high percentage of it's games. They do get more aggressive when needed, but in most cases, Iowa just needs 1 more point then their opponent. It's as important to Iowa that we get in position to punt the ball inside the other teams 10 yard line as almost anything. That is where we make our living. It's a lot of fun to watch for me. I love defensive football teams.

Its a step forward. He did what he needed to do to win. While the offense cannot expect the defense to score two touchdowns every game, when they do, you accept the gift and don't give the gift back to the other side. Petras did that. I don't remember any throws that made me cringe. He made smart choices and managed the game.

There was an honest to god sustained drive for a touchdown in that game. The offense actually earned a TD on its own!!!

Rutgers is not a world beater, but they have a serviceable D and it was a night game on the road. I will take it.

Some people are just never happy. All I'm saying is he managed the game well. We don't have to beat up on him all the time. I didn't assign a grade. I just stated he did a decent job and hit some tight passes Saturday which is a positive sign.

Iowa just needs a game manager who doesn't make mistakes. If we don't take big risks and chances and turn the ball over and give a team a short field and easy score, Iowa will win a high percentage of it's games. They do get more aggressive when needed, but in most cases, Iowa just needs 1 more point then their opponent. It's as important to Iowa that we get in position to punt the ball inside the other teams 10 yard line as almost anything. That is where we make our living. It's a lot of fun to watch for me. I love defensive football teams.
This defensive line is just nasty and fun to watch. The entire defense is fun to watch.

Its a step forward. He did what he needed to do to win. While the offense cannot expect the defense to score two touchdowns every game, when they do, you accept the gift and don't give the gift back to the other side. Petras did that. I don't remember any throws that made me cringe. He made smart choices and managed the game.

There was an honest to god sustained drive for a touchdown in that game. The offense actually earned a TD on its own!!!

Rutgers is not a world beater, but they have a serviceable D and it was a night game on the road. I will take it.

They came in with a pretty good run defense and Iowa was able to make some blocks and runs which is promising. K Johnson looks really good running the ball.

Some people are just never happy. All I'm saying is he managed the game well. We don't have to beat up on him all the time. I didn't assign a grade. I just stated he did a decent job and hit some tight passes Saturday which is a positive sign.
You have NC d and st. He managed against Rutgers. Why do you think you can't be good and manage a game?

He targeted how many receivers?

That is managing?..

You set this up. Rutgers wasn't a real test.are we back to applauding and cheering first downs?

This is how Iowa wants to win games and they purposely play to their strengths because they have good coaching. Holding the opponents head while they punch and punch and them not being able to do a whole lot about it.

Eev2FEjXgAE1TA_.jpg

Remember, Iowa's line won't progress this season because HaydenHawk said they typically do that against inferior teams like IL, MN and NE.

Got to give the guy credit when he deserves it. He managed that game well and actually made some really good throws Saturday. He's been beaten up by many this season and questioned. But, he made some impressive passes in tight windows. Good job young man.
He wasn't terrible. But he wasn't exactly good by any measure either. He just didn't make any mistakes that coulda really hurt (besides missing Bruce in he redzone and forcing it to a covered Laporta in the endzone that comes to mind)

Literally any D1 qb with a pulse should be able to do what he did or better. Complimenting a 5th yr senior for his play after that game seems like pandering to an ultra low bar of expectations.

He wasn't terrible. But he wasn't exactly good by any measure either. He just didn't make any mistakes that coulda really hurt (besides missing Bruce in he redzone and forcing it to a covered Laporta in the endzone that comes to mind)

Literally any D1 qb with a pulse should be able to do what he did or better. Complimenting a 5th yr senior for his play after that game seems like pandering to an ultra low bar of expectations.
So we can't point out positives and must only revel in how poor his play is. Check.

I think you are selling him a bit short. There were a few tight-window passes to Lachey, the great deep ball to LaPorta, and even a great 3rd and long pass to LaPorta that was dropped. Those were winning plays, not just avoiding mistakes.

No one is anointing him, but I think we all saw some positives out there. If the OL can continue to progress (run game looked good against a salty D), and we can get some WR healthy, this can be an offense that actually contributes to winning.

I thought he looked like a baby deer that had just been shot whenever he tried to move around, but I do agree, he did a better job passing the ball.

Spencer throws the deep ball better than short and intermediate type throws. Iowa just showing they could throw the ball down the field gave Rutgers just enough tape that they had to respect it. They were not giving up anything long and were trying to stop the run. Iowa was able to run and exploit them with our great tight ends. I give the staff credit for identifying what needed to be done to win the game. I felt Iowa could very well lose because I don't always give our staff credit of comin up with good game plans. This week was not one of those times. It was a lot like Maryland last season and I am happy to be wrong.

Last week I said I thought the OL would progress pretty well as the season went. You said "Well, they've always done that on the backs of IL, NE and MN" to which I said, "look who's still on the schedule bub"

if you want me to find the ridiculous comment, I'm more than happy.

You are correct that it is a gift and getting those points early surely can dictate how the game is called the rest of the game.