Petras

NW Iowa. Mighty pretty country up there. That’s the home of the mooses and the meeces
I love NW Iowa but it’s anything but pretty. Almost dead flat with over 99% farm ground utilization. The best mollisol soil on the planet when contiguous area and flatness is accounted for, but definitely not pretty.

I love NW Iowa but it’s anything but pretty. Almost dead flat with over 99% farm ground utilization. The best mollisol soil on the planet when contiguous area and flatness is accounted for, but definitely not pretty.
Those of us who grew up in Okoboji would beg to differ. God's country.

But, Moose are pretty damn rare in NW Iowa, and when there is one some asshole always tries to shoot it and claim he thought it was a big white tail......

One thing to remember is that if this external coaching is happening during Petras' college career, you can bet your asses KOK and Kurt Ferentz approve of what the guy teaches and how he trains.

If I'm a HC or OC and my quarterback tells me he's going to go get coached by a private trainer in the offseason, I'm gonna have a whole lotta questions and vetting out of this guy because I don't want my starter coming back to camp with some random screwball's bad habits.

I believe this is the QB guru. KOK fully vetted him. Expect to see some TD bombs being thrown over mountains this year!

uncleRico.jpeg

Those of us who grew up in Okoboji would beg to differ. God's country.

But, Moose are pretty damn rare in NW Iowa, and when there is one some asshole always tries to shoot it and claim he thought it was a big white tail......
When I was a kid their was one that wandered through my neck of the woods between Quimby and Cushing. And yeah some asshole ended up shooting it south of Ida Grove I think. That's been 30 years ago or so but I remember the neighborhood all being on the lookout for it since the news had reported spotings of it. It takes one hell of an asshole with balls to go about shooting it like that. They caught him and everything I think. That's pretty rare though I can't remember but just a few times that's happened.

I'm thinking if petras improves his accuracy some we have the horses to make the BIG championship game.

But you keep on coming back.
Would you prefer I didn’t? Because while I’m under no misconception of my singular importance, the aggregate of people like me not coming back would be rather catastrophic for the site.

back when JM was in charge, you and I used to agree on damn near everything, you’ve changed my man. Very aggressive

Would you prefer I didn’t? Because while I’m under no misconception of my singular importance, the aggregate of people like me not coming back would be rather catastrophic for the site.

back when JM was in charge, you and I used to agree on damn near everything, you’ve changed my man. Very aggressive
You seem to be really, really stuck on “JM.”

What was your user ID back then???

And you never did answer me about Ferentz’s in state recruiting misses in your other thread. What gives?

Accuracy

You either you have it or you don’t. Most of us have seen enough football where we can come up with some exceptions, but for the most part you have a feel for it or you never figure it out.

Put me in the camp of it is basically a 2 game audition. If he struggles in both, you gotta start thinking about pulling the plug.

Accuracy

You either you have it or you don’t. Most of us have seen enough football where we can come up with some exceptions, but for the most part you have a feel for it or you never figure it out.

Put me in the camp of it is basically a 2 game audition. If he struggles in both, you gotta start thinking about pulling the plug.
And no two cupcakes either.

For the most part I agree that the first two games will likely define Petras' Iowa career. He will either rise to the occasion, show growth, and lead the offense to a respectable performance, or he will show the same concerning accuracy and decision-making we saw during the early stretch last year. I tend to think he will put up a pedestrian to good performance in each game. 15-23 for 205 yards, 1 TD 1 pick. The type of performance that is not good enough to inspire confidence, but not bad enough to bench. Hope I am wrong, but given the track history and quality of opponents, its realistic.

I also think that those hoping this is an audition will not get what you want. Petras will have to be absolutely abysmal to get benched after the first two games. He likely will get the start for the third game at least. See how he does against a cupcake, and then re-evaluate.

Also, from what I have read, we don't have Ricki Stanzi or CJ Beatherd waiting in the wings, and that will influence Kirk as to whether he wants to make a move. Absent injury, Vegas odds favor Petras being the guy all season.

For the most part I agree that the first two games will likely define Petras' Iowa career. He will either rise to the occasion, show growth, and lead the offense to a respectable performance, or he will show the same concerning accuracy and decision-making we saw during the early stretch last year. I tend to think he will put up a pedestrian to good performance in each game. 15-23 for 205 yards, 1 TD 1 pick. The type of performance that is not good enough to inspire confidence, but not bad enough to bench. Hope I am wrong, but given the track history and quality of opponents, its realistic.

I also think that those hoping this is an audition will not get what you want. Petras will have to be absolutely abysmal to get benched after the first two games. He likely will get the start for the third game at least. See how he does against a cupcake, and then re-evaluate.

Also, from what I have read, we don't have Ricki Stanzi or CJ Beatherd waiting in the wings, and that will influence Kirk as to whether he wants to make a move. Absent injury, Vegas odds favor Petras being the guy all season.

Petras has an absolutely sweet release. Looks like he's barely using his strength on long balls. Think about it, you just mentioned Stanzi and Beathard. Add in Banks and Tate and you find qbs that KF really didn't seem to want to play, but he had to do it. KF doesn't like gamers, but those are his best. Not sure Petras is a gamer, but we will see. See him more like Stanley.

Petras has an absolutely sweet release. Looks like he's barely using his strength on long balls. Think about it, you just mentioned Stanzi and Beathard. Add in Banks and Tate and you find qbs that KF really didn't seem to want to play, but he had to do it. KF doesn't like gamers, but those are his best. Not sure Petras is a gamer, but we will see. See him more like Stanley.
Agreed. KF has shown a history of changing QBs mid season, but only with the choice is really obvious and frankly, well overdue.

The part of that missing here is the obvious alternate choice. Duece is not close to being ready and Padilla is not wowing in practice/scrimmages. Petras has the advantage of experience, which KF loves. Under this scenario Petras is going to have to really stink to get benched.

Agreed. KF has shown a history of changing QBs mid season, but only with the choice is really obvious and frankly, well overdue.

The part of that missing here is the obvious alternate choice. Duece is not close to being ready and Padilla is not wowing in practice/scrimmages. Petras has the advantage of experience, which KF loves. Under this scenario Petras is going to have to really stink to get benched.

Yes. I do think Petras has the best release ever. Stanley looked like he had to get all his body behind it. Petras' release is just easy. You can't tell how far the ball is going based on his release style. Just easy

Latest posts