Petras

Casualfan

I have heard that he has really improved this offseason. Can't wait to see the gunslinger in action.

Improved in what ways - accuracy, footwork, arm strength, reads, blitz pickup, play calling, etc.?

Who said he really improved - coaches, reporters, random internet people, your neighbor Bob, etc.?
My coworker who watched the spring game

My coworker who watched the spring game

Interesting. I talked to a guy who knows a guy who was at the spring game and he (the guy who was at the spring game) said he was underwhelmed and concerned about QB play. Who is right, your coworker or the guy who knows a guy I know? We'll find out. Stay tuned. The Indiana game is less than 4 months away!!!!!

Interesting. I talked to a guy who knows a guy who was at the spring game and he (the guy who was at the spring game) said he was underwhelmed and concerned about QB play. Who is right, your coworker or the guy who knows a guy I know? We'll find out. Stay tuned. The Indiana game is less than 4 months away!!!!!
I have read a lot of reports of the spring practices. Some say this, some say that.... It feels almost political (I know, dirty word) in nature. As if people already had decided how he was going to look before they saw him (shocking, I know).

Take the reports with a grain of salt, either direction.

Your handle is CasualFan. You opened a thread saying you heard Petras has "really improved" without source or context. There has been a ton of discussion about Petras' play both before and after the open practices both on this site and across the Hawk universe. At best, reviews have been a mixed on Petras and the balance of reporting I have seen on all of the QBs can be summed up with the word "underwhelming." But, the Oline was a mess in the Spring and offenses are usually behind defenses in the Spring so let's hope he looks good once the bullets start to fly in the Fall.

Sorry, your post seemed like something a casual fan would post. So, I cracked a joke. Nothing personal.

I liked the small amount I've seen with throwing the ball quicker. Hitting our all-American runnning back and tight end in stride will change peoples mind about the short passing game. Teams will have to play tight and that should open up deep passes. The big question is will Petras be more accurate downfield.

If history tells us anything it is that Petras will be good this season and then plateau or slightly regress. So maybe there is something there.

If history tells us anything it is that Petras will be good this season and then plateau or slightly regress. So maybe there is something there.
There is that trendline. But if memory serves, the three year starters (Tate, CJ, Stanzi, Stanley) peaked their sophomore years didn't they?

Petras seems to be another Stanley. If the line gives him time, he can throw in rythym and be effective. If the play breaks down, he is generally not going to make a play off schedule on his own the way that Tate or CJ could. We will go as far as our line play allows us this year, IMHO.

I
I was waiting for this and laughed when I saw it. Seriously I hope he improves. Maybe he's a guy that practices well but not so much in games. Think anyone at Iowa who does not practice well will play?

when he goes back to pass...and those feet begin to bounce and chop chop its over.

Guys can improve. CJ and Brad Banks were later developers. Petras does not have to be really great for Iowa to have a great year. If he is incrementally better than last year, Iowa has a lot of talent around him to make a division run.

So I saw on another site that Petras is out in NJ this week, getting personal instruction from the same QB guru that tutored Stanley prior to his draft day. And that Petras is expected to go back in July for more. I think this a positive development, especially following Stanley's comments after he left Iowa, saying something along the lines of 'coaches there never really had time to work with me on some of these things.' Good on Petras (and Iowa's coaches) for realizing he might as well get the help NOW rather than after he graduates.

So I saw on another site that Petras is out in NJ this week, getting personal instruction from the same QB guru that tutored Stanley prior to his draft day. And that Petras is expected to go back in July for more. I think this a positive development, especially following Stanley's comments after he left Iowa, saying something along the lines of 'coaches there never really had time to work with me on some of these things.' Good on Petras (and Iowa's coaches) for realizing he might as well get the help NOW rather than after he graduates.
I am curious who pays for those special tutors and how much they cost.

I assume Petras and his family are probably paying for them. I can't see how Iowa could be paying for them, because I am guessing that would be a violation of NCAA rules.

Still, as already stated, its definitely a wise investment given Stanley's comments. I am just happy that Petras can afford it.

Latest posts