Petras played one helluva game

Well, let's not forget the big sack Petras took that a blind squirl could see coming a mile away that Petras apparently could not. Petras was hot and cold all game long.

C+

Fair grade.

I give him a B. Like someone said, grading on tthe curve.
He was almost the entire offense.

If I'm not using the curve? I'd say straight up C. A passing grade. Totally penalized by the work of his partners on the group project. And his academic advisor. But still just passing work.

Obviously thrilled with the win, but wow, not the defense's finest game. I think they missed more tackles this game than all the other games combined. And I really thought Parker had learned his lesson after staying in the base D and giving up tons of yards to Michigan and Illinois RBs -- guess I was wrong. When MN started out the game in a heavy set, Iowa put 5 guys on the LOS and stuffed 'em. Starting in the 2nd quarter (their 3rd possession), MN adjusted and went to 3 wideouts almost every play after, and Iowa rarely brought more than the 4 Dlinemen. The one exception was when they blitzed Moss...if he would have made the easy tackle it would have forced an inexperienced QB into a 3rd and 12 deep in their own territory -- instead Moss whiffed and it went for a 54 yd run. I feel Parker really didn't deserve this W -- but he's been responsible for really dialing up the heat the previous games which brought some good wins so I'll give him some grace! Ha.
The Gopher RB was cutting back all f-ing day, yet we kept over pursuing all day. Not one of Phil's better games

Fair grade.

I give him a B. Like someone said, grading on tthe curve.
He was almost the entire offense.

If I'm not using the curve? I'd say straight up C. A passing grade. Totally penalized by the work of his partners on the group project. And his academic advisor. But still just passing work.
Yeah, Petras turned and his eyes went right to the fast coming and unblocked gopher on his right and proceeded to ignore this observation until the rusher was upon him. Pocket presence, could be the worst I've ever seen. If he fixed on thing and one thing only to propel his game forward the most, would be this.

Petras did look good, but a number of his passes were high and hot. The almost INT to RB Williams deep in our end, the throw to Ragaini in the 4th. But overall a good game.
Yup, the majority of Petras' passes were on the money. Not a lot of touch on the ball for a few of the ones that could have been caught. Not everyone can be on all the time, though.

That said, by far his best game this year.

Yeah, Petras turned and his eyes went right to the fast coming and unblocked gopher on his right and proceeded to ignore this observation until the rusher was upon him. Pocket presence, could be the worst I've ever seen. If he fixed on thing and one thing only to propel his game forward the most, would be this.
He should have been more aware on that sack, yes. But to be fair, that was the only sack we took the whole game (some credit to the O-Line on that as well). And also, avoided the sack by shifting up in the pocket on the 4th down pass to LaPorta which lead to one of our scores.

He should have been more aware on that sack, yes. But to be fair, that was the only sack we took the whole game (some credit to the O-Line on that as well). And also, avoided the sack by shifting up in the pocket on the 4th down pass to LaPorta which lead to one of our scores.

I think this was the play where we had play action on. It's pretty hard to improv out of that situation unless you are Vince Young or Patrick Mahomes. Dude took the sack but he didn't cough up the ball or try to be a hero and try to sling it into the abyss. If that sack is all the haters have to bash him with I'd say he had a great game.

One other thing I liked from Petras, on that 4th down throw to LaPorta, Petras actually stepped up in the pocket just enough to avoid the sack. Probably because he knew LaPorta was about to break open. It's a move that Nate Stanley used to do all the time. It shows how Petras can actually move if he has the motivation.
That was a key play, for sure. The defender made the mistake of going for Petras' legs -- if you touch Petras above the waist he crumples like a piece of tissue paper.

Not sure if it's something you can develop, but i agree. Quicker decision making and pocket presence would improve almost every aspect for Petras. At 6'5 235 he'll never be quick, but the few times he's just rain straight to daylight...2-3 yards. Compare that to -7.... huge difference.

Even on throws, he seems just a half a beat tentative.. hard to think it's not coached into him.

A good/great oline would make a ton of difference. But alas...

Let's just hope for "solid Petras" for 3 more games.

What is Petras doing next year? Doesn't he have a COVID year of eligibility left that he could use next year?

Even on throws, he seems just a half a beat tentative.. hard to think it's not coached into him.
I think he just goes thru his progressions slower than just about any FBS QB. But either thru play calling or some sort of audibles, they are starting to pick up those inside blitzes by sending the TE quickly upfield.

Dude, that throw to Brecht is one of those plays where if Petras had the receiving corps that Joe Burrow had at LSU people are talking about the play the next day. It was a perfect pass, right where it had to be under extreme duress. It's a hard catch, especially in that weather, but the ball was right there.
Hit him between the 1 and the 4 and it had to. Hats off to the kid he made some great plays and throws. They don't win that game without him. (how many times have we said that?)

People are weird... Why tweet that? I don't believe the story but if it's true wtf... Wtf either way frankly. I think it's a guy that just wanted a new tv.
It's actually a long-running joke on twitter and instagram, people post it to get reactions in the comments.

It's been on huskerboard a bunch of times and people freak out.

this is Spencer's Brillance... he was so bad early

that when he plays average it looks like an A...

I was going to say this in a similar way. This game may have been SPENCER’s “A” game but I terms of Big Ten QB’s its just a middle of the road “c”.

What the hell though we won the game and are one win away from making it two West Titles in a row. When was the last time that happened???

Four games ago if anyone would have even thought this possible I would have said “Give me a hit……….. Pass that pipe over here!!!”

Beat Nebby this week then GOD HELP US against the winner of the Ohio State vrs Michigan game.

Who do you all want to go up against??? After Illinois took Michigan to the edge, I think playing Michigan gives us our best chance ………… that ain’t saying much.

Are there any fans who are big enough dicks to boo Petras on Senior Day?

I think most on here appreciate that offensive problems go well beyond Petras, and he has been the one standing up and taking all the heat. There seems to be a pretty strong Petras-appreciation vibe going on around here (not talking about the OP's sarcastic posts, but just the general vibe). But a small part of me worries that there will be enough loud idiots at the game to give Hawk fans a terrible name.

Are there any fans who are big enough dicks to boo Petras on Senior Day?

I think most on here appreciate that offensive problems go well beyond Petras, and he has been the one standing up and taking all the heat. There seems to be a pretty strong Petras-appreciation vibe going on around here (not talking about the OP's sarcastic posts, but just the general vibe). But a small part of me worries that there will be enough loud idiots at the game to give Hawk fans a terrible name.
There won't be anyone booing unless they're drunk. And they'll definitely be drowned out if they do.

To be fair to fans, I don't think the booing most times was directed at Petras. Most of it was at Brian/Kirk/play calling, and the reluctance to try something different when nothing else was working.

There won't be anyone booing unless they're drunk. And they'll definitely be drowned out if they do.

To be fair to fans, I don't think the booing most times was directed at Petras. Most of it was at Brian/Kirk/play calling, and the reluctance to try something different when nothing else was working.
I was at the Nevada game. We were in the stands early....(long story short we were drinking the whole Family Day Flavor Aid and had nothing else going on, so we just went and sat down early).

When they did the canned video scoreboard player introductions, Petras was booed. He was on the field at the time warming up. Some of that, yes is frustration with Brian, et. al. Some of that, it wasn't patently obvious to fans with some limitations on their knowledge of football (people like me), that Petras was only part of the problem. To which, I ask for a bit of grace. It takes a few games for many of us to "see" things like how overmatched/underdeveloped/young (hopefully it's those things and not "bad") an offense line is.

FTR. I did not boo him.
I'm glad I didn't. Not that I've done a 180 on him. But right after the ILL game, it was abundantly clear he was not THE problem. And abundantly clear he was being hung out to dry. I felt sorry for him. Glad to see him deliver some element of performance this week.

Latest posts