Petras played one helluva game

okeefe4prez

Dude was on fire with LaPorta early. LaPorta is the real deal. But when he went down Petras put a lot of passes on the money (not all were caught).

The line played fairly well.

Brian called a great game and took shots where appropriate.

I know we only scored 13 points but in that weather and with LaPorta out I give the offense an A today.

Dude was on fire with LaPorta early. LaPorta is the real deal. But when he went down Petras put a lot of passes on the money (not all were caught).

I know we only scored 13 points but in that weather and with LaPorta out I give the offense an A today.

I am good with a. “B+” If not for a gratuitous fumble and a tipped pass that got picked off we likely are in a totally different frame of mind tonight but as Kirk likes to say “That’s Football” chomp, chomp, chomp!!! Lol!

Obviously thrilled with the win, but wow, not the defense's finest game. I think they missed more tackles this game than all the other games combined. And I really thought Parker had learned his lesson after staying in the base D and giving up tons of yards to Michigan and Illinois RBs -- guess I was wrong. When MN started out the game in a heavy set, Iowa put 5 guys on the LOS and stuffed 'em. Starting in the 2nd quarter (their 3rd possession), MN adjusted and went to 3 wideouts almost every play after, and Iowa rarely brought more than the 4 Dlinemen. The one exception was when they blitzed Moss...if he would have made the easy tackle it would have forced an inexperienced QB into a 3rd and 12 deep in their own territory -- instead Moss whiffed and it went for a 54 yd run. I feel Parker really didn't deserve this W -- but he's been responsible for really dialing up the heat the previous games which brought some good wins so I'll give him some grace! Ha.

Petras played a good game, but let's not get carried away. The first 58 yd pass was a brilliant play design, but Petras' role was a 5 yd throw to the LOS, and the other passes he completed are throws any P5 QB should be able to make. He did seem more accurate than usual tonight, tho, and I'm very thankful he played to a Power5 level!

Hawks tough huh? Go Hawks..

An A? MN had just under 400 yards.and 10 points. I'd give the a C+ or B- accounting for weather. The weather also gave the Offenses some advantages. We are being groomed.

50 some yards rushing is terrible against anyone.

The 2nd half O was terrible. Hardly any passes complete to receivers the whole game. They could T off on the running game as the weren't worried about Petras.

OP is trolling.

He's grading on the curve.
From our biased eyes it'd be tough not to. But the kid was playing well. Some of those throws were right on the money timing and accuracy wise. That throw to Brecht he made he had a small window to hit him before he was going to get crunched. Had he thrown it away from his body he probably doesn't catch it. Petras hit at least 3 third down conversion throws I think. Which is 3 more then usual. Taking that sack and missing 89 on that deep pass are probably the couple plays he'd really like to have back.

I'd give the O a B. Run game sucked for the most part. Agree with earlier poster, offense did not play their best game by far, but still made the plays required to pull out the win. Poorest tackling I've seen this year, yikes. The way the Minnesota lines pushed us around it's pretty much a magic trick to win that game. The O line was strongest we have faced this year I'm sure of that. Happy for the team, gotta keep pushing!

From our biased eyes it'd be tough not to. But the kid was playing well. Some of those throws were right on the money timing and accuracy wise. That throw to Brecht he made he had a small window to hit him before he was going to get crunched. Had he thrown it away from his body he probably doesn't catch it. Petras hit at least 3 third down conversion throws I think. Which is 3 more then usual. Taking that sack and missing 89 on that deep pass are probably the couple plays he'd really like to have back.
Dude, that throw to Brecht is one of those plays where if Petras had the receiving corps that Joe Burrow had at LSU people are talking about the play the next day. It was a perfect pass, right where it had to be under extreme duress. It's a hard catch, especially in that weather, but the ball was right there.

It seems like Petras decided he was just going to have one speed on his throws downfield. Maybe that was by design due to the weather. But on the overthrow to a wide open Ragaini, the pass could have used more air underneath. Still it was a throw that Ragaini needs to catch.

Lachey made a good catch on another bullet that essentially was the game-winning catch in the last 2 minutes. It's weird that Iowa's TE's seem to be better at catching the ball than Iowa's WR's.

One other thing I liked from Petras, on that 4th down throw to LaPorta, Petras actually stepped up in the pocket just enough to avoid the sack. Probably because he knew LaPorta was about to break open. It's a move that Nate Stanley used to do all the time. It shows how Petras can actually move if he has the motivation.

One other thing I liked from Petras, on that 4th down throw to LaPorta, Petras actually stepped up in the pocket just enough to avoid the sack. Probably because he knew LaPorta was about to break open. It's a move that Nate Stanley used to do all the time. It shows how Petras can actually move if he has the motivation.
And a pocket.

Petras did look good, but a number of his passes were high and hot. The almost INT to RB Williams deep in our end, the throw to Ragaini in the 4th. But overall a good game.

Petras played well.
He outright carried the offense.
He was the offense.

Which means, the offense still sucks.
If the ref's were better, the defense would have been responsible for 41% of the points yesterday. That's going backwards. The season average is ~18%.

My appreciation for Petras as a Hawkeye is very high, mostly for what I believe to be his off--field demeanor.

Having had his best game of the season when it was needed most? Bonus.

Well, let's not forget the big sack Petras took that a blind squirl could see coming a mile away that Petras apparently could not. Petras was hot and cold all game long.

C+

Latest posts